Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction questions - the Megathread

• 27-03-2020 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Please move / merge if appropriate

So i dont understand some of these restrictions..

Can we walk dogs ?

Can we walk in groups of 2, 3 etc if we all live together anyway

Who exactly is essential? With no outpatient services or elective procedures there is a large number of staff whose normal day to day is all but gone. Do they show up for work ?

Is there a full list of underlying illnesses that puts you more at risk ?

Is the covid 19 payment backdated ?

Is the testing going to be improved. Im hearing its a week wait?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Abba987 wrote: »
    Please move / merge if appropriate

So i dont understand some of these restrictions..

Can we walk dogs ?

Can we walk in groups of 2, 3 etc if we all live together anyway

Who exactly is essential? With no outpatient services or elective procedures there is a large number of staff whose normal day to day is all but gone. Do they show up for work ?

Is there a full list of underlying illnesses that puts you more at risk ?

Is the covid 19 payment backdated ?

Is the testing going to be improved. Im hearing its a week wait?

Dogs , within 2Km of your home and on your own

No you can’t walk in adult groups , irrespective of living together , excercie to be conducted alone

The essential workers lists are being updated

Testing is being restricted , th3 next big thing will be antibody testing , much more useful

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

BoatMad wrote: »
    Dogs , within 2Km of your home and on your own

No you can’t walk in adult groups , irrespective of living together , excercie to be conducted alone

The essential workers lists are being updated

Testing is being restricted , th3 next big thing will be antibody testing , much more useful

Thank you!

Now say ive a clatter of kids so have i to being them out on my own as the individual adult.

This is scary stuff. In reality we probably wont go anywhere. But can me and himself not walk to shop together to carry it all back! I wonder will this be enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Any idea when the list of "essential" jobs is being updated>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the whole thing is crazy. total shambles of an anouncment. they basically cam out and said that we are making things illegal for some people without telling any of us who these people are. at the same time telling us that the guards have no power to do anything worthwhile. why not have the list of essential work ready at the same time so we all know where we stand.

as of now im an essential worker (construction) but at midnight it could be illegal for me to go to work. how would I know ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Quazzie wrote: »
    Any idea when the list of "essential" jobs is being updated>

It’s done.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/625292-updated-list-of-essential-retail-outlets-27th-march-2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,758 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

cournioni wrote: »
    It’s done.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/625292-updated-list-of-essential-retail-outlets-27th-march-2020/[/quote

They've clarified that by saying thats only a partial list.
    More to follow apparently.
    Making it up as they go along.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

For retailers.

I work in a job that is considered essential in basically every other country where I can read their list; but is NOT retail or healthcare.

Basically the public, and the state, would miss us if we were gone but not to a people dying level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Businesses that can only offer emergency call-out or delivery services

It is recognised that there may be emergency needs arising in a number of areas, the following retailers who can offer an emergency call-out or delivery service can continue to operate on that basis ONLY:

hardware stores, builder’s merchants and stores that provide hardware products necessary for home and business maintenance, sanitation and farm equipment, supplies and tools essential for gardening/farming/agriculture

Can you imagine phoning Homebase or other supplier for an emergency length of brass pipework to be delivered to fix a leaky hot water tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Can you imagine phoning Homebase or other supplier for an emergency length of brass pipework to be delivered to fix a leaky hot water tank?

I could well imagine a locally owned hardware doing so.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    For retailers.

I work in a job that is considered essential in basically every other country where I can read their list; but is NOT retail or healthcare.

Basically the public, and the state, would miss us if we were gone but not to a people dying level.

Have you work tomorrow? If not cool the jets and see what they say tomorrow. No reason to expect Irish essentials to be wildly different to others.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have you work tomorrow? If not cool the jets and see what they say tomorrow. No reason to expect Irish essentials to be wildly different to others.

I'm on 24/7 call, as would be most others in my profession realistically. Some will be in work now if in an employer with a shift rotation.

As restrictions came in at midnight and they haven't published the list they are in massive dereliction of duty there. Probably the first real case of incompetence so far.

the whole thing is crazy. total shambles of an anouncment. they basically cam out and said that we are making things illegal for some people without telling any of us who these people are. at the same time telling us that the guards have no power to do anything worthwhile. why not have the list of essential work ready at the same time so we all know where we stand.

as of now im an essential worker (construction) but at midnight it could be illegal for me to go to work. how would I know ,

These lists are being published as we speak

Then you phone a plumber and he comes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭rob316

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Abba987 wrote:

This melted my head tonight. No joined up thinking at all. The list should have been published on the Health & safety website at the time of the press conference or at the end of it.

List will be health workers, plumbers, electricians, supermarket workers, trade counter staff, filling stations, mechanics. I even think electric appliance stores will be on the list. They might ban take aways but allow delivered take away food. Building sites might close but individual tradesmen will be needed to ensure the supply and maintenance of electricity, gas and water. You can't have a family locked in a house with no heating /water /electricity.

Plumbing trade myself, I expect to be working six days a week for the duration of the emergence or until I get ill

Fann Linn wrote: »
    It’s done.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/625292-updated-list-of-essential-retail-outlets-27th-march-2020/[/quote

They've clarified that by saying thats only a partial list.
    More to follow appar ently.
    Making it up as they go along.

Err , yes , everything is being made up as we go along , that’s the whole point

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think the point being raised is that 'only essential services are to open from tomorrow'.
    Followed by obvious question:'what are those essential services? '

Followed by answer: 'We'll tell you tomorrow'.
    Do you not see something amiss?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This melted my head tonight. No joined up thinking at all. The list should have been published on the Health & safety website at the time of the press conference or at the end of it.

List will be health workers, plumbers, electricians, supermarket workers, trade counter staff, filling stations, mechanics. I even think electric appliance stores will be on the list. They might ban take aways but allow delivered take away food. Building sites might close but individual tradesmen will be needed to ensure the supply and maintenance of electricity, gas and water. You can't have a family locked in a house with no heating /water /electricity.

Plumbing trade myself, I expect to be working six days a week for the duration of the emergence or until I get ill

Trade counters can’t open , only stores that deliver

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm on 24/7 call, as would be most others in my profession realistically. Some will be in work now if in an employer with a shift rotation.

As restrictions came in at midnight and they haven't published the list they are in massive dereliction of duty there. Probably the first real case of incompetence so far.

I think the point being raised is that 'only essential services are to open from tomorrow'.

Fair points.

I'd also add the employee reimbursement scheme based on net pay rather than gross that no employer can claim unless they admit to reckless trading and want their names published to the incompetence list.

The list has been published , or can’t you use google , it’s been referenced dozens of time on various boards posts in th3 last hour

The list has been published , or can’t you use google , it’s been referenced dozens of time on various boards posts in th3 last hour

That's only retail as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭daheff

Probably they got wind of problem coming and had no choice but to make a quick announcement. Details to follow .

Would much rather they do this than faff about trying to get a list everybody can agree to & then announce

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I just don’t see how this is going to be policed?

Wrong. Even Heather Humphries has said she hopes to have the full list as early as possible in the morning. That's the partial, retail list.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

L1011 wrote:
    For retailers.

No mention of trades & services. Building sites & the likes.

The whole thing seems to be thrown together in a very rushed way

I just don’t see how this is going to be policed?

The same way any other law is policed? By Gardaí witnessing breaches or by members of the public witnessing breaches an reporting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

That's only retail as far as I am aware.

Exactly!

Not a sufficient list.

Who makes the stuff the essential retailers sell?

Who makes the stuff the stuff on sale is packed in?

How does it get there?

Where does the electricity to power the hospitals and essential retail come from?

Who services the equipment in the hospitals when it breaks down?

Who makes the replacement parts for that equipment?

How does all that srtuff get ordered and paid for?

Who pays the taxes?

Who advises on payment of the taxes?

Unless you have a planned distribution of a very small set of essential goods and services, the ripples of what is an essential service just keep on spreading.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭youngblood

Hotels closing? Two nearby that have been open, not mentioned on the list

Advertisement