Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Anyone on here calling for a complete shutdown potentially wrecking the lives and economy for millions should list their medical qualifications and expertise.

Otherwise I'd encourage people to listen and adhere to the advice from the WHO, HSE and qualified professionals.

We are not Italy. We shutdown pubs and should and the GAA, soccer and Rugby shutdown. We have introduced social distancing. Italy did not of these things until the horse had well and truly bolted.

Social distancing will see us through this and help us manage the crisis without the need for a full lockdown. Lets all play our part and keep the show on the road.

According to some here there are No Experts. Of course public health experts really know nothing about infection dissemination in the populace. It's the experts on Social Media that have all the answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

People shouldn't be asking for a lock-down which can't be enforced and is too soon, the HSE will make the decision.

Weld your front doors if you like, but others can go out, as often as much as they please at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Anyone on here calling for a complete shutdown potentially wrecking the lives and economy for millions should list their medical qualifications and expertise.

Public Health first.

Economy Second. Lobby groups get no say.

That decision already made.
    People shouldn't be asking for a lock-down which can't be enforced and is too soon, the HSE will make the decision.

Weld your front doors if you like, but others can go out, as often as much as they please at the moment.

The Minister for Health ALREADY has these powers. Please educate yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

STB. wrote: »
    Public Health first.

Yes. And that's why social distancing measure are introduced and being adhered to by the majority.

That's why schools are closed etc.

Why pick part of the post to suit your narrative?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

niallo27 wrote: »
    You think its enough to man the whole country.

i doubt any countries is to be honest apart from North Korea,
    it just takes the public cooperation, but look most of our country voted sinn fein,
    so not exactly the land of saints and scholars anymore that's the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

FVP3 wrote: »
    When did you argue for "test test test". He is saying test and isolate who you need to. That's a world away from an indefinite lockdown, with no exit strategy. Be like Korea, not like China. Not that China didn't work, but we cant do it.

It's also what I have continually suggested we do. Only technology can save the day, and the West needs to get moving on that fast.

The WHO know more about disease than almost anyone likely to post on this thread, and by a large margin.

We need to test, track and isolate anyone with the virus or recently in contact with them. This is a "lockdown" for the most dangerous 1% of the population, so that some semblance of normal life is possible for the rest. People need to stay within their family or a limited set of people and minimise contact with randomers because tracing is impossible if there is random contact. This is not rocket science, yet we are caught between the extremists, the "its only flu" "people need to go out" brigade, and the "lock everything down until there is a vaccine" brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Full scale military lockdown for 2 to 4 weeks. ALL shops to close including supermarkets and pharmacies. Military to drop basics to every household twice a week and if you need any medicine you tell them. Virus will have nowhere to go. Once society gets back to normal anyone who arriving into Ireland is Tested and held until result

i doubt any countries is to be honest apart from North Korea,
    it just takes the public cooperation, but look most of our country voted sinn fein,
    so not exactly the land of saints and scholars anymore that's the problem.
    24% is not most, it's not even a quarter.

Clearly reading is an issue for you and yes DOOM merchants. Nothing better to do than wind themselves up and everyone stupid enough to listen to them.
    As for education my response to you and others with the same behaviour is done in the manner it is because of my ability to avoid FB , WhatsApp , YouTube and boards for knowledge.
    Take care.

It also seems you have managed to escape world media. Again, it may be that you cannot get a signal underneath the sand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Summary of social media lately:

Day X - “People stay at home for f&ck sake.”
    Day X+1 - “Much needed day out with the kids. Smashing day out.”

• Advertisement

The WHO know more about disease than almost anyone likely to post on this thread, and by a large margin.

We need to test, track and isolate anyone with the virus or recently in contact with them. This is a "lockdown" for the most dangerous 1% of the population, so that some semblance of normal life is possible for the rest. People need to stay within their family or a limited set of people and minimise contact with randomers because tracing is impossible if there is random contact. This is not rocket science, yet we are caught between the extremists, the "its only flu" "people need to go out" brigade, and the "lock everything down until there is a vaccine" brigade.

= Balance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

niallo27 wrote: »
    You think its enough to man the whole country.

You won't need to man the whole country for a long long time, start it off with a few simple rules, no travelling by car or public transport to go to recreational areas, close a lot of the smaller parks and non essential shops and have it all enforced with small but not inconsequential fines of a few hundred euro after a warning from Guards at car parks and patrols, and the vast majority will fall in line. It's what they are doing in Austria at the moment in most of the country, except in the areas where there is a lot of cases, which are under a stricter quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

Nermal wrote: »
    Nobody's forcing you to go out. You are free to shutdown by yourself. The rest of us may have a different risk tolerance to you, and can make our own decisions.
    Can I take it that you struggled with the Pass epidemology paper in the Leaving Cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭brevity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

Public Health first.

The Minister for Health ALREADY has these powers. Please educate yourself.

Powers are useless, all is needed is one large estate to head on to the streets and that automatically ties up alot of whatever limited services are on.

The current approach is the best approach at the moment, not panicing the panicers, food, fuel, medicine.

Yes. And that's why social distancing measure are introduced and being adhered to by the majority.

That's why schools are closed etc.

Why pick part of the post to suit your narrative?

The vast majority are not social distancing. Many are not and in large numbers, so the message clearly isn't getting through. This is in evidence all over social media. I have seen it with my own eyes. Many of them with the same it'll be all grand mantra, we are doing a great job etc. The pandemic is a major inconvenience for people, who don't even have the ability to sit in their own bloody back gardens.

Because your narrative is all about the economy and everything else be damned. A selfish attitude, not entirely uncommon in Ireland.

Perhaps a few videos of real life situations in overwhelmed and better resourced hospitals in Italy or Spain might help your fixation with money.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭fawlty682

Get more testing done. Name places where there are cases and people will be more fearful if they hear some people nearby are infected. This secrecy of 5 cases in a country is nonsense. All we have so far is lots of talk with inadequate testing.Our figures are not realistic which is making people relaxed, particularly the young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I dont think it should be understated either but peoppe cant afford to feed kids and pay bills on 203 a week.

I know ill get hit with the coronavirus will kill people and people will get sick which is fair enough and a valid point. But the practicalities of life still exist for most.

The reality is a family living on the breadline wont lockdown for long if they cant afford too. A balance is needed.
    The virus doesn't care about the "practicalities of life," or the bills you need to pay. They are made up by man and they mean nothing in the face of nature.

The virus also doesn't care about your kids fed up at home without their friends, or that the sun is shining and you've been cooped up all week. The virus doesn't care about how bored you are or that you can't find anything to watch on Netflix. The virus is an unthinking, unknowing killing disease and it will disregard our social constructs, tearing through us like a scythe with hay if we don't just ****ing stay home and stop pissing about.

brevity wrote: »

"Government concerned about weekend crowds but further restrictions won't be based on 'what's trending on Twitter"

https://www.thejournal.ie/social-distancing-ireland-coronavirus-5054503-Mar2020/

The Govt. and HSE aren't relying on twitter to make decisions.

Thankfully I would say.

It also seems you have managed to escape world media. Again, it may be that you cannot get a signal underneath the sand. :)

I chose to ignore the idiots on Social Media, I however will listen to the likes of Ryan from WHO and our own Dr Holohan here.
    World media ? Which ones Sun, National Enquirer ,Mirror Lancet , NE medical journal. Be specific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

What data are you basing this request on?

I’m sure Dr. Hoolahan will let us know when the experts think a lockdown should start.

I have a lot of respect for Holohan and co. and don't envy the pressure they are under. But sometimes common sense is a better guide than expertise by committee ... as shown during the two or three days when it appeared travel from Milan to Rome was severely restricted but people flying from Milan to Dublin were not even asked to self-isolate.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    The virus doesn't care about the "practicalities of life," or the bills you need to pay. They are made up by man and they mean nothing in the face of nature.

The virus also doesn't care about your kids fed up at home without their friends, or that the sun is shining and you've been cooped up all week. The virus doesn't care about how bored you are or that you can't find anything to watch on Netflix. The virus is an unthinking, unknowing killing disease and it will disregard our social constructs, tearing through us like a scythe with hay if we don't just ****ing stay home and stop pissing about.

Millions in the country care about feeding their kids and paying bills.

Less so about Netflix. Not sure why you are referencing Netflix and directing it toward me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Woke Hogan wrote: »

You failed to answer his question on how bills are going be paid and how people are going pay for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

The vast majority are not social distancing. Many are not and in large numbers, so the message clearly isn't getting through. This is in evidence all over social media. I have seen it with my own eyes. Many of them with the same it'll be all grand mantra, we are doing a great job etc. The pandemic is a major inconvenience for people, who don't even have the ability to sit in their own bloody back gardens.

Because your narrative is all about the economy and everything else be damned. A selfish attitude, not entirely uncommon in Ireland.

Perhaps a few videos of real life situations in overwhelmed and better resourced hospitals in Italy or Spain might help your fixation with money.
    we dont live in italy nor spain, if theres only 3 confrimed actual deaths almost 4 months in, and someone is calling for the entire system collapse figure out whos a nut in this scenario, we dont account for people that recovered since it was started to count everyone, pilling numbers on top of each other makes for lunacy to come out, which isnt healthy. if you think that we closed pubs and few events that it made impact late in march your delirious, as clearly we dont folliow different country paths to this virus here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Jesus Christ my mam is going nuts.

She lost it at my brother last week for going out with his friends during the self isolation period, and now she is going mad at him telling him he needs to get out of the house.

WTF is he meant to do like? He can't win.

Powers are useless, all is needed is one large estate to head on to the streets and that automatically ties up alot of whatever limited services are on.

The current approach is the best approach at the moment, not panicing the panicers, food, fuel, medicine.

Look there has clearly been a managed phase to scale back the panic. The last time people took this seriously was March 17th.

We already had the social distance and close the schools phase, whereby people went bananas, and all went to the shopping centre to panic buy, completely missing the point.

I'd expect some form of announcement on critical measures to be announced this week. It'll coincide with numbers coming back from the lab that will hugely escalate the numbers. Then the 40,000 awaiting tests hopefully wont be overcome by large numbers in ICU, because the results will be academic then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Powers should be applied against supermarkets etc letting too many in, not regulating their queues and so on.

They cannot stop people gathering outside, but they certainly can stop businesses creating queues inside their premises. They can legally require all businesses to have handwashing/sanitiser at the entrance.

Decent business have done this, but for the sake of these businesses others must not be allowed take the p|ss.

That's your opinion on the social distancing. Apart from a few snippets in the media and faux outrage on twitter I believe people are. There are always going to be some businesses and individuals who are selfish but there is no evidence that this will result in the country turning into Italy.

Why videos of Italy or Spain? Why not somewhere like South Korea or similar who have been operating on the same guidelines as us and have been somewhat successful in containing this thing.

That attitude of equating us to the worst case scenarios is a joke. It's a bit like having shortage of grain and showing people a video or the Ethiopian famine.

Gain buy in here. Show people how countries like ourselves with similar policies are being successful. With a message of keep up the good work.

scamalert wrote: »
    we dont live in italy nor spain, if theres only 3 confrimed actual deaths almost 4 months in, and someone is calling for the entire system collapse figure out whos a nut in this scenario, we dont account for people that recovered since it was started to count everyone, pilling numbers on top of each other makes for lunacy to come out, which isnt healthy. if you think that we closed pubs and few events that it made impact late in march your delirious, as clearly we dont folliow different country paths to this virus here.

We don't live in Italy and Spain ? Our healthcare system is a fraction of those countries capabilities.

4 months in ? Our first case was 29th February.

3 weeks later we have 937 confirmed cases.

We have carried out just over 10,000 tests. There are currently 40,000 waiting to be tested.

We are only at the start. Apx 2-3 weeks behind Italy. We cannot be complacent.

How do you not even know this ? FFS Educate yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement