Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

A full lock down is at this stage madness.
    If one is introduced the in effect all business except supermarkets and chemist;s close.
    This is un nesecary in the vast majority of cases.
    A solicitors office can go about their business and have large physical gaps between people.
    Likewise accountants , businesses actually need them now more than ever for advice, for geting in returns , yes the revenue still want them and many do the payrole for small businesses so no accountant no pay.
    What about your local petrol station ?
    Your locksmith in case you break your key.
    The plumber where your washing machine dies.

There are many many more.
    Also remember the more that close the more geting social welfare and therefore more coming out of the pot while if left to trade they would be in fact paying into the state funds.
    Also the more that close the more that will never open again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

hmmm wrote: »
    How would a lockdown stop this? The Guards currently have the power to break this up and did.

Some people seem to think a lock-down will involve the army going around shooting people. We don't have enough soldiers for a start, and they currently have better things to be doing than policing the country.

The only thing a lockdown will do is force the law-abiding citizens to do what they are already doing. Worse, it will lead to untold health impacts.

We have to follow the medical advice, not the advice from Twitter.

True that just harder to gather when under a lockdown

Idiots will still be idiots I agree and spoil it for the rest of us

Still though the government are being asked time after time about increased measures

Only a matter of time I feel before they cave in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I for one, do not want my civil liberties removed.

The most vulnerable in our society don't want their lives removed either, I'm sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I'd prefer the new German rules to a complete lockdown but stories like this make a lockdown more of an option for the government

Exclusive: Social distancing concerns force gardaí to shut down Longford house party after 80 youngsters attend 21st birthday bash

Fears Longford community put at unnecessary risk from Covid-19 after weekend incident

https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/home/528325/exclusive-social-distancing-concerns-force-gardai-to-shut-down-longford-house-party-after-80-youngsters-attend-21st-birthday-bash.html

Members of a family engaged in an ongoing ' feud'. Not known for high IQ levels tbh. Any advice would fall on deaf ears in that community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Further dithering will cost lives..end of story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 juru

I for one, do not want my civil liberties remove by lesner defendar

Seriously,my sister has just volunteered for ICU work and my cousin also. They are both in their 50's. How can I say this if its a choice between my sister living and you having to follow rules. Will I just leave it there. This is why we will struggle because we all know our rights but none of our responsibility. My sister had to choose this morning with other members of staff who would get a critical care bed a 66 year old or a 68 year old. Just imagine if she was making that choice about a member of your family. By the way I cant believe 5 people thanked you for that comment I can only surmise they are as selfish as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Someone posted it on the other thread, we are already in a lockdown, nothing is open we have no where to go. What more do people want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Members of a family engaged in an ongoing ' feud'. Not known for high IQ levels tbh. Any advice would fall on deaf ears in that community.

True

Other video of a drinking session in a van in Rathkeale doing the rounds at the weekend

They would still clog up the hospitals when sick though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Steve F wrote: »
    Further dithering will cost lives..end of story

Have you told the government? Just be prepared to show your credentials.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Not too happy about it myself tbh, might have have to have a word with her later but I don't want to come off as a prude either.

Being serious here, am I overreacting?

i haven't seen my own kids in 2 weeks and i'd usually have them stay over every weekend but we're trying to do the right thing, so yes i'd be fuming at your housemate, showed zero respect to you and anyone else in the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 sheep26

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Seems a lot of people in the UK think a full on lockdown over there could be announced today and that if it doesn’t happen they could end up worse than Italy :eek:

it could.. i think the best way to contain the virus is to be sensitive and sacrifice a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Rose, you remember, what I told you... about the life boats...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

They have left it quite late though.
    I saw a comment from Tony Holohan in a recent briefing that there are smaller numbers of people being contacted when contact tracing is going on suggesting that people are being more careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

A full lockdown is inevitable once our ICUs reach full capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Skyfloater

The people who are calling for a lockdown "for however long it takes" should reacquaint themselves with the devastation caused by the Great Depression of the 1930's, the millions of lives foreshortened by malnutrition, hypothermia and lack of basic healthcare. Far, far more than covid 19 will ever claim.
    On another point, the median age of the deceased in Italy is 80.5! That's a fine age to last for. What do some people here think happens when you hit your eighty's?
    What happens is, you get sick and then you die. Why is that such a shock for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,645 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Skyfloater wrote: »
    The people who are calling for a lockdown "for however long it takes" should reacquaint themselves with the devastation caused by the Great Depression of the 1930's, the millions of lives foreshortened by malnutrition, hypothermia and lack of basic healthcare. Far, far more than covid 19 will ever claim.
    On another point, the median age of the deceased in Italy is 80.5! That's a fine age to last for. What do some people here think happens when you hit your eighty's?
    What happens is, you get sick and then you die. Why is that such a shock for some people.

#edgelord

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Skyfloater wrote: »

It is precisely for knobheads with that kind of viewpoint that a lockdown is required!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

is_that_so wrote: »
    Oh I've been through it and it's really poorly laid out and broken up every few sentences by larger text or a graph. And with respect to the effort he put in he never expands much beyond that summary anyway. In short, it's not a great piece of writing.

No, it isn't a great piece of writing. But it's not in those terms that it should be assessed. It's the insight into the respective responses of successful and unsuccessful countries and the conclusions about how that should inflect policy in other countries that makes the article worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭jj880

Nermal wrote: »
    Nobody's forcing you to go out. You are free to shutdown by yourself. The rest of us may have a different risk tolerance to you, and can make our own decisions.

Wow - real team player you are!

This kind of attitude is scaring the sh!t out of me.

This virus doesn't care how high someone's "risk tolerance" is.

Selfish morons like you are why we need lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

I saw a video of Piers Morgan (I know, I know... but bear with me) giving out about people still going out and not social distancing and he made a comment about how we no longer understand the word "no".

And he is absolutely right. The problem is that there are people here who live their lives without ever being told no and now they are the people who think they have the right to do whatever the fcuk they like regardless of what it costs the nation. It is these people we need to force into lockdown! The rest are behaving responsibly.

If you need evidence just look at the comments about "civil rights" and being part of the low risk group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

rossie1977 wrote: »
    A full lockdown is inevitable once our ICUs reach full capacity
    No, that would be 2 weeks too late

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Most medical folks are saying going for a walk is fine as long as you practice social distancing etc. We went up to the Phoenix Park yesterday and there were plenty of people around, but all staying at a good distance from each other. People can't stay indoors indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

It is precisely for knobheads with that kind of viewpoint that a lockdown is required!
    If you need evidence just look at the comments about "civil rights" and being part of the low risk group.

I thought the lockdown was required for people who wouldn't social distance properly?

You're showing how confused you are here. A person posting about concern for civil liberties may be acting more responsibly in not spreading germs than you. So the 'lockdown' has no direct relevance to stopping such people in any way. Its not going to be a lockdown on opinions you don't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I love this little chart, because it is so simple.
    It shows what happened over 100 years ago when one city (St. Louis) decided to implement social distancing correctly during the Spanish flu and one city (Philadelphia) did not:

df26ee36f79f85f57ad0137d3bf12c52

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Nobody's forcing you to go out. You are free to shutdown by yourself. The rest of us may have a different risk tolerance to you, and can make our own decisions.

If we were all simultaneously capable of being responsible, sure.

But we aren't. This is a pandemic, it's a highly contagious disease that spreads rapidly through human contact. The fatality rate is at least 10 times higher than seasonal flu. There are selfish people and ignorant people who don't grasp this notion. They put others at risk through their own self-interested behavior. These types of people make comments like yours.

If pig-headed people are going to put me or my family or my friends or colleagues at risk due to their own illogical selfish behavior, I have zero issue with national guidelines being enforced by the law if necessary.

growleaves wrote: »

You're showing how confused you are here. A person posting about concern for civil liberties may be acting more responsibly in not spreading germs that you. So the 'lockdown' has no direct relevance to stopping such people in any way. Its not going to be a lockdown on opinions you don't like.

First off you do realise you are talking to 2 different people dont you?
    I was the one who was talking about "civil rights" and the post I was referring to was this nonsense!
    I for one, do not want my civil liberties removed.

And this

From the beginning I have said that I am more in support for social Distancing than a lock down as it would allow our country to continue. But that due to... others... like the above posts and people I have seen blatently ignoring the social distancing rules, I fear a lockdown may be the only way to get the seriousness of this virus across.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Most medical folks are saying going for a walk is fine as long as you practice social distancing etc. We went up to the Phoenix Park yesterday and there were plenty of people around, but all staying at a good distance from each other. People can't stay indoors indefinitely.
    How would people be monitored in a lockdown situation? How will people apply for permission to leave their homes and to whom? Their local Gardai? Under what circumstances would it be deemed safe to allow (restricted) movement to recommence?The implementation of and logistics surrounding such a lockdown would appear to be challenging, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

First off you do realise you are talking to 2 different people dont you?
    I was the one who was talking about "civil rights" and the post I was referring to was this nonsense!

Oh. Sorry

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    If we were all simultaneously capable of being responsible, sure.

But we aren't. This is a pandemic, it's a highly contagious disease that spreads rapidly through human contact. The fatality rate is at least 10 times higher than seasonal flu. There are selfish people and ignorant people who don't grasp this notion. They put others at risk through their own self-interested behavior. These types of people make comments like yours.

If pig-headed people are going to put me or my family or my friends or colleagues at risk due to their own illogical selfish behavior, I have zero issue with national guidelines being enforced by the law if necessary.

Exactly!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Kivaro wrote: »
    I love this little chart, because it is so simple.
    It shows what happened over 100 years ago when one city (St. Louis) decided to implement social distancing correctly during the Spanish flu and one city (Philadelphia) did not:

df26ee36f79f85f57ad0137d3bf12c52

Thats grand. The way Ireland's numbers are coming out each day, the percentage increase is dropping and we are 'flattening the curve'. Lets hope it continues.

A full lockdown of 5 million people with just 30,000 police, army and civil defence (including reserves) is impossible and so pointless.

All the idea of it would do is add to public anxiety, isolation, loneliness and fear and create an environment for anti social behaviour, burglaries, commercial break-ins etc.

As the advice goes, treat your own behaviour as if you have the virus and act accordingly towards others and you'll be fine.

NO LOCKDOWN NOW!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement