Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

All deals are off. Theres limited stock.
    And off licences I the city open at 4

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    All deals are off. Theres limited stock.
    And off licences I the city open at 4

Your friend is a gard and just came back from a conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Your friend is a gard and just came back from a conference?

He dialled into the conference via whatsapp call from an army barracks

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

Tesco Phibsboro were selling from 12.30pm today

24 cans of Guinness for €24

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

PaulT21 wrote: »
    I suspect its the above and I'm sure they are both open?

Thanks will check now soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭audi02

Dont mean to make a request but I'm afraid were one of the unfortunate bride and grooms that has to postpone our wedding. We're currently looking at a marquee idea now and just wondering could my fella boardsies help me out as to how would be the cheapest way to go about stocking the bar? Would ya get any better deals on say cans of bulmers when ya can get 2 slabs for €40 in dunnes with the voucher?! All suggestions for all alcohol welcome.

Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 7,839 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

audi02 wrote: »
    Dont mean to make a request but I'm afraid were one of the unfortunate bride and grooms that has to postpone our wedding. We're currently looking at a marquee idea now and just wondering could my fella boardsies help me out as to how would be the cheapest way to go about stocking the bar? Would ya get any better deals on say cans of bulmers when ya can get 2 slabs for €40 in dunnes with the voucher?! All suggestions for all alcohol welcome.

Thanks so much
    That’s as good as it gets with Bulmers, Dunnes are buying tens of thousands of cans at once and are paying more for it than what they are selling it for.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

That’s as good as it gets with Bulmers, Dunnes are buying tens of thousands of cans at once and are paying more for it than what they are selling it for.

Thanks so much for you're help...I wonder if I asked a manager could I buy 50 cases at €20 each instead of going in and out with vouchers each day would that work??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Thanks so much for you're help...I wonder if I asked a manager could I buy 50 cases at €20 each instead of going in and out with vouchers each day would that work??!!

Unlikely seeing as they are selling at a loss of sorts, off licences can't buy it that cheap at wholesalers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

No chance under normal circumstances, unless you are really able to pull their heart strings under the circumstances.

You can't have a marquee wedding either, at least not for a while.

• Advertisement

Not on your nellie.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

[QUOTE

You can't have a marquee wedding either, at least not for a while.[/QUOTE]

why?

casio4 wrote: »
    [QUOTE

why?[/QUOTE]

There is no hope for us as a nation, none.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

[QUOTE

why?[/quote]

Do you not understand they want no groups at all. I feel sorry for your wedding being cancelled but even attempting this will lead to more infections. Some people haven't a clue In this country its not just spreading in bars and hotels so by holding at home isn't going to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

why?

Please look at this before you decide to have your wedding.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

South Korea had the entire thing almost under control with 30 cases, until case 31 spread it to a lot of different people and now they have more than 8,500 cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

[QUOTE

why?[/QUOTE]

Well as things stand you can have groups up to 99 people and space them 2 metres apart. So I suppose you can.

You will need extensive toilet facilities to ensure each cubicle / urinal is 2 metres away from the next.

All the tables will need to be positioned so all guests are 2 metres apart.

The list goes on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

In Dunnes I heard of checkout people having loads of vouchers that people leave with them, so you might be able to ask them. If they were in the papers you could buy a rake of papers and use them.

But I also do not think it should be going ahead. These are not recommended guides, they are the limit, reminds me of people treating speed limits as targets. It'd be like having liver disease and drinking wine out of a giant german beer glass, "the doc said I could have a glass a day". I imagine many who do go would rather not have gone but feel obliged to go -even if you say feel free to refuse the invite.
    paying more for it than what they are selling it for.
    selling at a loss of sorts
    Do you know how much they are paying?

I always presumed there was some deal with the breweries where they give them X stock discounted so they can sell it without making a loss and after a certain time they might up the price again and have to reveal figures.

e.g. guinness say to them Paddys day is coming up I want you to sell at €20 a tray and I want it back to regular price the very next day, we can sell you 1000 cases but I want proof of what you sold and you will have to pay us the balance after.

Otherwise if breweries did offer really low prices they could buy huge amounts of stock and sell at high prices after xmas/patricks day. But they would not really want to sell low volumes to them and risk them running out.

Back to deals tesco have €17 boxes of 20 bottles for miller 330ml, bud 300ml, carskberg 300ml

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Was in Dunnes Wednesday 18th and all offers were finished.

I think the fact the pubs are now closed they intend to rip us off.

Glad I stocked up over the past few months,

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    Was in Dunnes Wednesday 18th and all offers were finished.
    Pretty sure thats the norm after patricks day, you could check old threads if you were interested. Happens every year after xmas, I have a fortress made out of cans to do me months and get emails from friends asking "where do I get the cheap crates" and in disbelief that it ends!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

rubadub wrote: »
    Do you know how much they are paying?

I'd say you would need a team of actuaries to calculate it, so many other things going on to make it retailable at €20/25 a crate.

• Advertisement

It's a loss leader, the whole idea of which is you will go there buy one slab and also do the rest of your shopping there which means the store makes a net profit on your custom that day.

Dunnes are paying 23% vat on those slabs before banging them out for 20 euro.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It's a loss leader, the whole idea of which is you will go there buy one slab and also do the rest of your shopping there which means the store makes a net profit on your custom that day.

Dunnes are paying 23% vat on those slabs before banging them out for 20 euro.

Exactly. The excise on a can of Bulmers is 62.4c. If you're selling a slab of 24 at €20, that's 83.3c a can. Take off the 23% VAT and subtract the excise and you're left with a whopping 5.4c!

It's a loss leader,
    I know what the concept of a loss leader is, just wondering if you had inside info on what they are paying.

I remember in the UK years ago they investigated supermarkets to see if a ban on below cost selling was worthwhile, turned out extremely little was being sold below cost, even though the publicans & "word on the street" said it was rife.

It could be the breweries that are taking the loss.

I do believe tesco cheap vodka is sold at a loss as when you take the excise and vat into account there is very little left. Vodka is extremely cheap to make. Then of course there is rent & rates & light etc, but I would still love to know how the price on these temporarily cheap crates works out.

Quackster wrote: »
    Exactly. The excise on a can of Bulmers is 62.4c.
    I work it out at
    €0.4723 per can

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-duty-rates/alcohol-products-tax.aspx

Ah, yeah, Bulmers is a cider! :D

Point still stands in relation to the beers, little more than 5c a can after all taxes are taken into account.

Quackster wrote: »
    little more than 5c a can after all taxes are taken into account.
    Yeah, and point still stands the brewery might be charging less than that, them taking the hit, effectively giving out free samples to the public.

Yeah, and point still stands the brewery might be charging less than that, them taking the hit, effectively giving out free samples to the public.

Agreed.

Thanks for all the "help" there! Just to clarify I have no intention in the world of having a wedding while coronavirus is on this island. After 3 days of phone calls,emails and no sleep, I have postponed everything and everyone until a date in the future. If this is still going on then, then I will postpone again. I would never ever put the health of my family or friends (or anyone for that matter) at risk.

Was in Lidl yesterday and they had a limited stock of Carling.

24x500ml 4% €20

Also in Dunnes I picked up 5 x 660ml bottles of Orchard Thieves for €10. I see it is also the same offer in Tesco.

• Advertisement

Was in Lidl yesterday and they had a limited stock of Carling.

24x500ml 4% €20

Also in Dunnes I picked up 5 x 660ml bottles of Orchard Thieves for €10. I see it is also the same offer in Tesco.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement