Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

threeball wrote: »
    2 weeks was never realistic. You're likely looking at 2 months with a drip feed of exposure to the population over that time.

Jesus id snap your hand off for this to be all done and dusted in 2 months. I think we are looking at more alomg the lines of august/sept before we see any normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

When this has all blown over does anyone fancy meeting up a for drink in one of the pubs/bars that announced that they were closing yesterday. We can put faces to the names on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Anyone know what the recovery rate among people that have been put on ventilators is? Or is there any data for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Heated debate going on sky news right now.

That Spiked asshole Brendan O'Neill is on the press panel which explains everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭threeball

rogieop wrote: »
    We had prepared for a hard border. We have plenty in reseeve. We are fine in that regard.

We still need to keep pharma plants etc fed with material. They'll still need the logistic routes open. I don't see the point in blocking freight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Does anyone know if the border closures in Europe are for public traffic only or will freight be impacted too. If that gets locked down then supply chains will start to fail. I presume they will let trucks carrying goods through

I believe it only applies to people crossing the border. Supply chains are seen as essential services.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Fcuk.

I only left that school 27 years ago!

Will I be ok???

No, SFP, you're beyond help. But that's nothing to do with the virus. :pac::pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Does anyone know if the border closures in Europe are for public traffic only or will freight be impacted too. If that gets locked down then supply chains will start to fail. I presume they will let trucks carrying goods through

Slovakia is only for public traffic. I assume supply chains will be maintained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Yeah but he's from Sligo - which under these circumstances I'm willing to forgive. ;-)

We have really good, world class medics here. We always have. It isn't recognised in Ireland but it is recognised internationally just how good our training is and how good Irish doctors are.

It appears to be the same with Irish nurses too who are in high demand abraod but obviously I know it best from my own friends who have emigrated since 2007.

Is.he right though

Was skeptical when I heard him say to act fast even of u get it wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Thousands out of work and more to follow in retail in the days to come, awful time for the country.

We're about to go back years economically, high levels of unemployment etc.

Hopefully we can get over it in the years to come

Loads of people worried about this. Came through 2008 recession and it wasn’t pretty but we’ll do it again if we have to. Irish people are resilient and smart and good natured when push comes to shove. The alternative is the Uk way which seems to be let people die. It’s such a shame because we had made good progress even though our health system never seemed to get fixed no matter how much money they poured at it and housing too another disaster but talk for another day. Right now. Though I hope the gov. help the renters to get through this crisis as well as the mortgage people. All that matters now is that we rally round, help each other, stay at home, be sensible, do the right thing and we will get back on track. Every country is battling this.. unfortunately..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

It's airborne which I didn't know so if someone was In a shop and coughed, it stays in the air for hours... hard not to catch :(

I’m not sure that’s correct. Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭threeball

That Spiked asshole Brendan O'Neill is on the press panel which explains everything.

Obviously a brexiteer claiming cracks in europe which aren't there and praising the brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭paul71

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Is that why futures right now are showing the US markets collapsing in the morning again?

Good job you're not an economist.

I believe he is expressing sarcasm at Trumps daft performance this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I have a feeling Chloroquine will be the first treatment released to the general public in the battle against COVID19. The UK have already banned the export of chloroquine and stock pilling it.

I believe many research groups are waiting for the data to come back at the end of this month from trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,894 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Not being a sycophant or anything, but this place is good for those in self isolation, working from home, and so on.

Just asking the mods and those who have control to keep this thread open for the duration please whatever the cost is in relation to other threads.

Just saying, that some kind of interraction on a common issue is good for the soul if people are locked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

The market is going to rocket tomorrow because the US Fed is going to inject $700bn of QE and has unveiled a load of other measures today too.

Going to be really strong days on the financial markets for that reason.

I have friends who are doctors in the US hospital sector. It is beginning to dawn on their local hospitals how utterly F'ed they are. The US is going to be hit much, much, much harder than Italy or even Britain.

It may well bounce tomorrow but that's a day trade or a few days at most. As this unfolds in the US over the next year their markets are going to plummet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,831 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

People should report pubs like this from tomorrow.

100% , fûck them... only thing most publicans (and I know a few) are loyal to is the weight of their till... this will be proven..Seriously if there are any in your eye-line doing this, pick up the phone on the scumbags... remember, warm room, dozens in close proximity, less inhibitions.... not good. Happily be a ‘rat’ if it enables people staying alive and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Anyone else get the mentally ill type watsapp chain message about the lockdown this week coming?

[F] a) Incubation period for most people is less than 7 days but for almost everyone (or everyone, we're not sure) is about 14 days so people infected today may only develop symptoms on 30th March (roughly).

Not understanding you here?? Are you saying the incubation period (time for exposure to onset of visible symptoms) is 7 days or 14 days for most?

Johns Hopkins was saying the median incubation period was 5.1 days with 97% showing symptoms by day 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭amacca

Couldnt agree more

a jumped up arrogant nasty piece of work imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

There's a lot of people worried now.
    Myself included.
    I can feel my chest tightening all day.

Please try get out for walks.
    Put your phone down and give yourself a media blackout for a few hours if possible.

I know it's hard, but I've found it useful just trying to deal with everything day by day.
    Deal with the facts you have today.
    Try not to worry about tomorrow or after that. It's just to sore and hard to fathom now.
    Focus on the now.

Best of luck everyone.
    We will get through this with everyone's help.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Blueshoe wrote: »
    What are the checkpoints for?

To check stuff

To make sure people are adhering to the restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

The market is going to rocket tomorrow because the US Fed is going to inject $700bn of QE and has unveiled a load of other measures today too.

Going to be really strong days /on the financial markets for that reason.

S+P futures are down 5% ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

Lockdown.

We're going to be moving to a state where only essential workers are allowed out, where you can only got to supermarket or pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Public only , freight transport is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Must be the only person in ireland that doesn't have whatsapp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

He seems quite spikey and prickly alright. They were shouting at each other just before I posted on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,273 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Checking for people smuggling bog roll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Going to be really strong days on the financial markets for that reason.

David McWilliams had an article in the IT yesterday that QE should involve putting cash into the back accounts of the individuals. The Fed's QE is a bond buying stimulus which doesn't help the individual.

In any event, the Fed has its last roll of the dice here to keep the markets going, but covid19 is barely beginning in the US. This latest move will just inflate the bubble more and when it does crash, due to all this cheap money in the bubble, the effects will be devastating on the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Meanwhile in the US of A.....

The LA Times
    Quote:
    "Liquor, marijuana and guns are also popular among coronavirus hoarders"
    "At Martin B. Retting Gun Shop in Culver City, a line of prospective customers stretched outside the door. Inside, they were shoulder to shoulder, waiting up to five hours for service. A fast-food truck was taking orders at the curb."

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-14/liquor-marijuana-and-guns-also-popular-among-hoarders-as-fear-grows-over-coronavirus

My dogs will do grand for me when the hoards descend looking for my stash of quilted 3 ply....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement