Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Boggles wrote: »
    He cancelled an influx of the 2nd most infected country in the world.

Yeah, not too much credit for that one.

Lets not forget Paddys Day was still going ahead up until last Monday morning, until Monday afternoon when everyone cancelled themselves because Doctors and Professionals started saying it was utter madness.

Harris has had a poor start and is clearly rattled.

Things started to change when Simon Coveney got involved.

Remember he was the one taking the press conference when Leo was off on his jolly.

So if there is any credit or hope for us I think it should go to that man thus far.

Don't agree with you.
    The communication has been very staged and planned.
    If you announce a full lockdown with immediate effect people go crazy.
    First there was the rugby, then schools, churches, large gatherings.
    This allows for acceptance & calm responses rather than mass panic.
    Anyone with an IQ in double digits knew the parade would be cancelled and also knew the pubs would be closed by St Patrick's Day.

Also newsflash for you in case it isn't obvious enough....Most of these measures will continue long after March 29th!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Route1 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea on policies of larger companies closing. Seems completely out of line with government policy to keep large work places open.

The Government have asked companies to do their best to keep the supply chains open.

So it depends on what your definition of a large company is. If it's a food manufacturer/distributor, then they are requested to stay open if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Or maybe they don’t care about being proven wrong.

That is a good point. We all should be prepared to be proven wrong on this one. It is such a fast changing situation that having enough information to have a solid point of view is very difficult. Socially distance and wait and see what information emerges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I think there could be a longer incubation period than 14 days.

A couple on the diamond princess cruise ship, one of them had a positive in the middle of February. The second started showing symptoms at the end of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Xertz wrote: »
    Yeah, there are roughly 1.6 million trips from Ireland to Spain annually.
    So, basically 1 in 3 people in Ireland will have been in Spain this year.
    Would have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

across the road from me on talbot street the pub has closed its shutters but its cleary packed and a right aul sesh going on in there. clearly this order to close isnt being heard very well in the city, can only imagine how its being dealt with rurally.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,908 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Going to be carnage at the dole offices - how are people temporarily laid off going to get money? They can't rock up to social welfare offices, they'll be locked down.

I always have savings, a rainy day fund but a cough and splutter fund...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,288 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

spookwoman wrote: »
    Top countries done now
    China Italy Iran S Korea Spain Germany France USA Switzerland UK Norway Netherlands Sweden Belgium Denmark Austria
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nu5mIBHYoW1cYgb5JvvjyfLoyKHBG2T8ZRvTK7o80L0/edit?usp=sharing

That to me looks encouraging. A clear pattern of very much reduced numbers other than in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

threeball wrote: »
    Well one of those 5 has it too and I hope its not one of the carers or we're looking at a superspreader to the elderly

Yep it’s pretty worrying though to me anyway god only knows how many ppl are walking around spreading it. God love that woman doesn’t sound good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I wonder how many living in border counties will head across Paddy's night for a skinful and a free virus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Good move closing the pubs tonight, is there a reason they aren't doing the same with restaurants and cafes etc? Surely it would make sense just to close everything at this stage.

It's a rolling wave now.

I would expect more in the coming days, be prepared for it.

We are ahead of the curve and should keep it at that by whatever means necessary now. Honestly if the LVA close pubs that is a deal breaker. Others will follow. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

paul71 wrote: »
    Probably because restaurants and cafes are not frequented by substance addicted gob****es who refuse to listen the advice of medical professions and government and hence the people in them actually do distance themselves from other customers for the most part.

Jaysus you'd think anyone who had a bit of the gargle was a demon for the drink with the frequent "addicts" in your posts.

News-Demon-Drink.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭paconnors

across the road from me on talbot street the pub has closed its shutters but its cleary packed and a right aul sesh going on in there. clearly this order to close isnt being heard very well in the city, can only imagine how its being dealt with rurally.

Do your duty report it to the authorities

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Cant wait to watch fair city in 3 months time. Bella in isolation and no more scenes in the pubs/cafes great drama

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Lots of people asking when EVERYONE in the world will start taking this seriously?
    I fear by then it will too late for the at risk group

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Do these lockdowns work or just kick the can down the road? is this not going away readily?..........like any other pandemic strains of flu (it's what it is) the only combat is vaccine and build up of immunity, the latter you only get by it's spread not hiding behind closed doors ................the reality we have to face is that some people are going to die from it, it's tragic and not avoidable .............the Spanish flu killed 60m people and is now what we call a seasonal flu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭threeball

People should report pubs like this from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    That's complete bull.

It's such a pity, the English ruling class have 'form' when it comes to culling populations.. It's just this is the first time they're doing it to their own..

It's a disgusting call to make, to shrug and say the old/vulnerable/immunocompromised are not worth the effort.

There is no defending it no matter what language they use.
    Economy is king and the wealthy are completely in control.

I see the queen has cancelled her engagements, stopped working.
    But won't give the same benefit to the poor.

Fffssss.

This. They are an utter disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Name and shame, report to the Gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I agree. Close all the pubs, chippers, takeaways, snooker halls, bingo, arcades, GAA clubhouses, pitch and putts and pigeon races.

Leave alone the wine bars, private members clubs, bistros, brasseries, fusion cuisine lofts, tennis, rugby, yacht and golf clubs and seal off Howth at Sutton Cross.

No matter what the government do someone will complain

I would expect the people in those establishments have a little bit more cop on that a shower of gobs**t that are only interested in drinking as much of their wages/dole in as little time as possible

Hence the pubs get closed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

The pub across the road and those sheep shaggers outside of Dublin will soon have their taps run dry and there will be no more coming.

Sorted.

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

It's a rolling wave now.

I would expect more in the coming days, be prepared for it.

We are ahead of the curve and should keep it at that by whatever means necessary now. Honestly if the LVA close pubs that is a deal breaker. Others will follow. Hopefully.

I'm currently in Spain and we are not allowed outside unless its to the chemist or supermarket or work. The cops are stopping cars. Cyclists and joggers etc are being fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Cant wait to watch fair city in 3 months time. Bella in isolation and no more scenes in the pubs/cafes great drama

Just don’t watch Corona-tion Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

threeball wrote: »
    People should report pubs like this from tomorrow.

I wouldnt mind but this one is right behind a garda station and I doubt theres 100 in there, they tried but doubt they got that many packed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I thought they could stay open till tomorrow so why would they even close the shutters?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,908 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Publicans, ughhh, same all over, just can’t do without frothing at the gash over cash....

Love if Gardai could identify and while not clear the place, that might require too much in the way of resources but if they turned up tomorrow around opening and arrested the manager/owner... close the place, revoking license, film it for the news sending a message to the rest of the greedy numpties.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Do these lockdowns work or just kick the can down the road? is this not going away readily?..........like any other pandemic strains of flu (it's what it is) the only combat is vaccine and build up of immunity, the latter you only get by it's spread not hiding behind closed doors ................the reality we have to face is that some people are going to die from it, it's tragic and not avoidable .............the Spanish flu killed 60m people and is now what we call a seasonal flu

Kicking down the road is what we are aiming for.

We dont want the hospitals overwhelmed with cases or we will be like Italy and doctors having to make difficult decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

VinLieger wrote: »
    Name and shame, report to the Gardai

They aren't breaking the law.

The government have said they should close.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

sonofenoch wrote: »

So many inaccuracies in a single post...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

The pub across the road and those sheep shaggers outside of Dublin will soon have their taps run dry and there will be no more coming.

Sorted.

Shag off ourra dat... :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement