Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

So had inspection today. Looked at coppiced and layed hedges, bird and bat boxes and nothing else. Never asked to see annual records but asked to see amount of concentrates fed for 2017. Not sure what that's all about tbh.

Auld lad met him as I was at work but said he was sending on a list of other records that he wanted to see next week.
    Can only assume that LIPPs, THM etc is being monitored remotely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Base price wrote: »
    In fairness to DAFM, if you read the GLAS T&C's you will see that it was there from the beginning. Most of us didn't read the T&C's in full at the time.

A lot of people know the conditions but ignore them. No inspections in this area that I know of. Most people take a chance that they won't be inspected

• Registered Users Posts: 21,210 ✭✭✭✭Water John

High bike wrote: »
    spike to advisor today said was the first he heard about it, he's to check it out and come back to me

That's a bit severe. did you use a three of four prong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Jb1989

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    So had inspection today. Looked at coppiced and layed hedges, bird and bat boxes and nothing else. Never asked to see annual records but asked to see amount of concentrates fed for 2017. Not sure what that's all about tbh.

Auld lad met him as I was at work but said he was sending on a list of other records that he wanted to see next week.
    Can only assume that LIPPs, THM etc is being monitored remotely

He will pick one year of records and evidence of less spreading if required within 10 days of receiving letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

Water John wrote: »
    That's a bit severe. did you use a three of four prong?
    pitchfork:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭bbeeforsalmon

The letter says that the review is “to confirm that you are still compliant with reduced fertilizer rates as set out by GLAS Specifications for the relevant GLAS actions”. So it doesn’t involve whole farm??? If your records show the fertilizer used on WBC, Trad Hay Meadow, etc and are checked by your planner would that be a review???

Look at last page of 2020 records booklet, last line.
    “I confirm that I have reviewed the NMP and I remain compliant with reduced fertilizer rates ......”

Sign it and it’s done. Two seconds.

No need for planner.

HAPPY DAYS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Look at last page of 2020 records booklet, last line.
    “I confirm that I have reviewed the NMP and I remain compliant with reduced fertilizer rates ......”

Sign it and it’s done. Two seconds.

No need for planner.

HAPPY DAYS

Grand , I'll take that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Sami23

Grand , I'll take that

+1 to that ðŸ˜

L1985 wrote: »
    I’m checking with my Agri advisor so I’ll let ye know 🙂 dept likes to complicate things don’t they!!
    I spoke with the Agri advisor and yes it’s an issue. Basically with glas I have to have effective control over the land so it’s a no go even for a short term rent with stock etc. bit of a pain but I’ll work something around that!

Wondering how you got on. I’ve just had Glas inspection. Paperwork now required for whole farm soil samples, whole farm fertilizer 2018, Glas records 2019, animal movements 2018 and 2019. I have no stock but neighbour grazes trad hay meadows for about 3 months Oct to Jan. Is this acceptable?

• Advertisement

Anyone have an inspection lately? Any penalty for poorly established bird cover? Anyone have to submit soil sample results or slurry records for P index 1 and 2 soils or receipt and passport for quicks?

A Glas inspection is a whole farm inspection it seems

Anyone have an inspection lately? Any penalty for poorly established bird cover? Anyone have to submit soil sample results or slurry records for P index 1 and 2 soils or receipt and passport for quicks?

Had an inspection couple of weeks back no bird cover here though. Need to send soil sample results receipts for fertiliser for 2018, concentrates receipts for 2017 and receipt for sand for bees. They're looking for slurry records for index 1 and 2 areas but I dont spread on those areas as they're fairly marginal and heavy.

Trying to cut me for a water course that isn't on the NPWS database so that will cut me around 1K over the 5 years if they do

Had an inspection couple of weeks back no bird cover here though. Need to send soil sample results receipts for fertiliser for 2018, concentrates receipts for 2017 and receipt for sand for bees. They're looking for slurry records for index 1 and 2 areas but I dont spread on those areas as they're fairly marginal and heavy.

Trying to cut me for a water course that isn't on the NPWS database so that will cut me around 1K over the 5 years if they do

Thanks for the reply. A neighbour has an issue with similar watercourse so I would be interested to know how that one turns out. Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply. A neighbour has an issue with similar watercourse so I would be interested to know how that one turns out. Best of luck.

Well the specification doesn't say anything about the database so am going to try fight it if I can seems to be a big increase in inspections at the moment.

seems to be a big increase in inspections at the moment.

Seems crazy to be adding the stress of an inspection on people at the moment. What if they carry the virus from one farm to another ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Sure the birds have the wbc fleeced this time of the year. Or they are supposed to have anyway.and that’s what to say to them if you are inspected.
    Walked ours today for the first time since may. Nice selection of weeds but little else. Will let stock out to it this week to roughy it up a bit.

Seems crazy to be adding the stress of an inspection on people at the moment. What if they carry the virus from one farm to another ?

Agreed. Agriculture under pressure re carbon emissions. More advice and encouragement for Glas participants would help.

planner told me glass inspections were to finish by Paddy’s Day

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Sure the birds have the wbc fleeced this time of the year. Or they are supposed to have anyway.and that’s what to say to them if you are inspected.
    Walked ours today for the first time since may. Nice selection of weeds but little else. Will let stock out to it this week to roughy it up a bit.

I went for half kale. Sowed it twice as possibly slugs wiped it out and then weeds meant very little grew and only about 4 inches high. It seems kale must be sprayed for weeds, pre emergence I think. Field is wild now in spite of spraying off each year so no more kale. Hope double seed receipts will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

DAFM to issue the 15% balancing payment at the end of this week. It is a month early.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/26m-in-glas-payments-brought-forward-540580

• Advertisement

DAFM to issue the 15% balancing payment at the end of this week. It is a month early.
    its showing in amounts due here today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭kk.man

Wow not a big help compared to the dole.

Every drop counts, as the wren said, when it peed in the sea. To quote my late bro.

What maintenance work do lads do on the mounds of bee sand each year ? With lockdown, im doing all the small jobs around the place. just want to make sure I've everything done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭kk.man

What maintenance work do lads do on the mounds of bee sand each year ? With lockdown, im doing all the small jobs around the place. just want to make sure I've everything done right.
    You are meant to cut back the growth around the sand... Not spray it as it kills the bees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Just pull the weeds off them and check the fence. Handiest €90 you'll get in the day ;)

Thanks lads. I'm doing maintenance work on it alright, but the pile looks alot flatter now then what it looked a few years ago. It looks abit sad really, as if some of it has disappeared.

Don't worry, bumble bees aren't into aesthetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Thanks lads. I'm doing maintenance work on it alright, but the pile looks alot flatter now then what it looked a few years ago. It looks abit sad really, as if some of it has disappeared.

Mine are barely there anymore. Need to cut the weeds around them again soon, but the heap that went in 3 years ago seems like a few shovels now...

Yeah, in one way it’s handy money, but I’d prefer to do something that actually seems of value...

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Don't worry, bumble bees aren't into aesthetics.

I know. I'm in the last year of the scheme and would hate to get an inspection so late near theend for them to find fault with it. That's why I just want to keep it right.

Advertisement