Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Base, if its WC you're looking for Elmer. It's to my email they replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Just in from sowing mine before the rain.
    Seed came from Rathcormac as before,I find it very good for holding small birds and wild phesants.
    It helps because there is no tillage around here so they have no where else to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Just wondering can someone tell me how much Oats and Linseed do i need for 3 Acres?
    Too lazy to looking for my books!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Just wondering can someone tell me how much Oats and Linseed do i need for 3 Acres?
    Too lazy to looking for my books!
    Thanks

Some stores sell premixed bags to suit an acre

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭bbeeforsalmon

Some stores sell premixed bags to suit an acre

This is Glas1. Depends on if drilling or broadcasting
    512255.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Anyone still waiting on balancing payment?

I use 4 bags oats and 15kg mustard. I'm throwing in 3kg of annual bee flowers as well, for the bees and colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Tileman

Anyone still waiting on balancing payment?

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Any glas inspections going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Any glas inspections going on?

Satellite inspections only, but they can get very detailed images from the sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Satellite inspections only, but they can get very detailed images from the sky

Wonder will they see what's missing on a lot of farms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Water John wrote: »
    If it's the one in West Cork, email them again. I think they were over run with orders. Took me a while to get a response but they did ring back following an email.
    Or check this guy
    https://rathcormacgunclub.com/product/wildflower-meadow-mix/
    Thankfully Manfred (Fruit Hill Farm) phoned me on Thursday and confirmed my order of 4 kgs of Phacelia and 5kgs of Buckwheat seed - cost is c.€100 delivered which unfortunately is dearer than last year. Anyway the seed has been dispatched and should arrive early this week in time for planting our WBC, hopefully the bees/pollinators appreciate the extra cost involved?????

As an aside, I really enjoy walking through our WBC on a Sunday morning with the dogs after it flowers and seeing all the pollinators - bees/hoverflies/butterflies and other insects feeding on the flower heads.
    If anyone is interested in learning about our different pollinators I would recommend they join this Facebook page - Insects/Invertebrates of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Base price wrote: »
    Thankfully Manfred (Fruit Hill Farm) phoned me on Thursday and confirmed my order of 4 kgs of Phacelia and 5kgs of Buckwheat seed - cost is c.€100 delivered which unfortunately is dearer than last year. Anyway the seed has been dispatched and should arrive early this week in time for planting our WBC, hopefully the bees/pollinators appreciate the extra cost involved?????

As an aside, I really enjoy walking through our WBC on a Sunday morning with the dogs after it flowers and seeing all the pollinators - bees/hoverflies/butterflies and other insects feeding on the flower heads.
    If anyone is interested in learning about our different pollinators I would recommend they join this Facebook page - Insects/Invertebrates of Ireland.

I love looking at the pollen from the WBC plants when I do hive inspections.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Danzy wrote: »
    I love looking at the pollen from the WBC plants when I do hive inspections.
    How do you know the different pollen.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭k mac

Is this the last year of Glas. I am in Glas 2 and joined in 2016. I thought it was finished this year but the seed merchant I got the wild bird cover says there is another year. Maybe wishful thinking on his part:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

k mac wrote: »
    Is this the last year of Glas. I am in Glas 2 and joined in 2016. I thought it was finished this year but the seed merchant I got the wild bird cover says there is another year. Maybe wishful thinking on his part:)

I'm in glas 3 on year 4 so that would make sense.

The scheme will almost certainly be extended as the EU is late with its Ag review. Probably one or two years added and optional. They cannot extend your Glas Scheme unilaterally as it's a contract between the Dept of Ag and you.
    The difficulty is the rigidity of the scheme, none of the WBC, permanent grassland or meadow can be moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

The scheme will almost certainly be extended as the EU is late with its Ag review. Probably one or two years added and optional. They cannot extend your Glas Scheme unilaterally as it's a contract between the Dept of Ag and you.
    The difficulty is the rigidity of the scheme, none of the WBC, permanent grassland or meadow can be moved.
    what date does it actually end is it October?

Base price wrote: »
    How do you know the different pollen.

Colour usually, Phacelia is a purple bluish colour.

I watch what they are working and see it in the frames, also lot of online examples and pics to guide.

endainoz wrote: »
    I'm in glas 3 on year 4 so that would make sense.

So your last crop will be set Spring 21 and let to March 22?

• Advertisement

With the coronavirus effect on the economy I'd wonder about a GLAS extension. Remember it's part funded by the taxpayer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I was told no extension , new agri environmental scheme to be announced early 2021

sonnybill wrote: »
    I was told no extension , new agri environmental scheme to be announced early 2021

Agri environmental schemes are going to be the big things in farming now, rye EU plans for next decade are looking like a major change in farming.

sonnybill wrote: »

Who told ya? (Someone had to ask...)

Who told ya? (Someone had to ask...)

Glas won't be renewed but it will be replaced by something similar.

Glas won't be renewed but it will be replaced by something similar.

Apologies, I could be missing something obvious (lack of sleep) but has that been announced officially?

Apologies, I could be missing something obvious (lack of sleep) but has that been announced officially?

No but word from the EU agri groups is an aggressive push ahead of these schemes in next decade.

Very aggressive according to the journal and others.

20% reduction in fertiliser, 50% reduction in herbicide, 25% target for Organic farms in the EU.

No but word from the EU agri groups is an aggressive push ahead of these schemes in next decade.

Very aggressive according to the journal and others.

20% reduction in fertiliser, 50% reduction in herbicide, 25% target for Organic farms in the EU.

For a change I'll be in the I'm alright Jack camp! Bough 0 fertiliser this year, plan no future purchases. Use little to no herbicide anyway. I've been waiting to get my filthy hands on a fat organics payment!

For a change I'll be in the I'm alright Jack camp! Bough 0 fertiliser this year, plan no future purchases. Use little to no herbicide anyway. I've been waiting to get my filthy hands on a fat organics payment!

Same here, use some fertilizers but very little.

See this as a good thing for the price of cattle.

Are you mob grazing or just stocking for it, back fencing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

That fat organics payment is nice and all, but you do offset a decent chunk of it on bedding, and I made a few purchases already such as a buck take to get rid of the dung. I reckon it was about two hours extra labour a week when taking bedding into consideration. That said, I can get a grant for a loader and a dung fork so hope to have that sorted for next winter. But of course you save on fertilizers and herbicides too, so overall it's definitely worth my while doing it.

The scheme will surely be opening again very soon and the huge amount of people that were rejected last time should be considered first.

Advertisement