Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

On a farm walk a couple of years ago. I think the person who organised, didn't think, that particular action, helped much. Would hear similar remarks about WBC, mainly feeding crows and rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭bbeeforsalmon

I know. I'm in the last year of the scheme and would hate to get an inspection so late near theend for them to find fault with it. That's why I just want to keep it right.

My inspection a few weeks ago included a whole farm nitrates inspection for 2018. Stock records, slurry imports, concentrates fed, fertilizer receipts, soil sample results, as well as all Glas receipts. Didn’t want Nutrients Management Plan ???? Two weeks to send in paperwork. Still waiting on a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

My inspection a few weeks ago included a whole farm nitrates inspection for 2018. Stock records, slurry imports, concentrates fed, fertilizer receipts, soil sample results, as well as all Glas receipts. Didn’t want Nutrients Management Plan ???? Two weeks to send in paperwork. Still waiting on a reply.

Sounds like they went in dept. On the flip side, if your bord bia approved, lads would have alot of that paperwork to hand as we're regularly inspected. Does anyone know if the glas inspections are finished for the year or are they doing more later in year ?. For the likes of myself all I'm left to do is observe the no topping until July and I ain't got any more actions to do for the rest of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Water John wrote: »
    On a farm walk a couple of years ago. I think the person who organised, didn't think, that particular action, helped much. Would hear similar remarks about WBC, mainly feeding crows and rats.

A rabbit tried to dug into one here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Mine are barely there anymore. Need to cut the weeds around them again soon, but the heap that went in 3 years ago seems like a few shovels now...

Yeah, in one way it’s handy money, but I’d prefer to do something that actually seems of value...

Most of GLAS scheme is worthless for biodiversity in all fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Hard to argue with that - hopefully the next CAP reform gives us a proper "results" based scheme that rewards farmers committed to a more sustainable path

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Has there been any actual studies that support your viewpoint?
    Edit: I remember two/three years ago that someone on here mentioned potential scientific study on the effectiveness of the GLAS plan. From memory it was based on a few smaller localised areas, however I could be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Hes not complimentary about them schemes either

ganmo wrote: »
    Hes not complimentary about them schemes either

Burren scheme is a great scheme, NPWS Farm plan have also delivered good results.

Base price wrote: »
    Edit: I remember two/three years ago that someone on here mentioned potential scientific study on the effectiveness of the GLAS plan. From memory it was based on a few smaller localised areas, however I could be mistaken.

DAFM did audit of some measures in GLAS, amazingly it was rather accurate in sections. Will have to try and find it.

• Advertisement

I have environmentally managed fallow as part of Glas. When trimming hedges in February I ran the cutter along some of the heavier rows of grass that had been mowed in September. Lots of pygamy shrews running about so I quit. Never saw them around here before. Actually caught one in a mouse trap in the shed in December unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I wouldn't say GLAS has been useless on this farm either. The topping dates (while a bother & an eyesore) have definitely encouraged more snipe, or perhaps more snipe around due to it.
    The coppicing was fantastic, wrens, robins etc are bountiful along the hedgerows we did. While the WBC was also a pain, there's definitely more pheasants in the area. Which in turn has brought more fox (vixen & cubs seen last week) and martins. I don't mind the fox/badger etc up beside it as it was deliberately put on the outfarm in case it attracted rats. Which it did for the first years we used oats, since the switch to triticale we've had very little crow & rat activity that I can see.
    Slurry spreading with the dribble bar is working great, while I can't see a marked improvement in overall growth, it certainly helps things get going faster as the field isn't plastered.
    Native woodland bit is only taking off rightly now, but where we planted was wet enough and the trees in turn are taking the wet out which allows us easier access to the field below. And we fed the hares loads of them after planting them, judging by the number of replants we had so surely that counts :pac:

I wouldn't say GLAS has been useless on this farm either. The topping dates (while a bother & an eyesore) have definitely encouraged more snipe, or perhaps more snipe around due to it.
    The coppicing was fantastic, wrens, robins etc are bountiful along the hedgerows we did. While the WBC was also a pain, there's definitely more pheasants in the area. Which in turn has brought more fox (vixen & cubs seen last week) and martins. I don't mind the fox/badger etc up beside it as it was deliberately put on the outfarm in case it attracted rats. Which it did for the first years we used oats, since the switch to triticale we've had very little crow & rat activity that I can see.
    Slurry spreading with the dribble bar is working great, while I can't see a marked improvement in overall growth, it certainly helps things get going faster as the field isn't plastered.
    Native woodland bit is only taking off rightly now, but where we planted was wet enough and the trees in turn are taking the wet out which allows us easier access to the field below. And we fed the hares loads of them after planting them, judging by the number of replants we had so surely that counts :pac:

Topping date for LIPP is July 1st onwards and mowing date for traditional hay meadow is July 1st onwards. Dates too early to allow most wildflowers/grasses to go to seed. Date also too early to allow ground nesting birds like snipe/skylark/meadow pipit/lapwing to fledge sufficient young. The dates for mowing were July 15th but lobbying by IFA got it changed to earlier date.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Alot of the measures like dumping sand in the corner of a field or hanging ornaments(birdboxes) from isolated trees or fences are basically useless. Other measures like WBC are usefull in areas where tillage is no longer practiced(West of Ireland) but achieve little in the likes of Wexford,South Kildare etc. There was a study done on REPS measures a couple of years back and the results afaic showed that many non-REPS farms actually performed better in terms of species richness. Its why the EU is currently reviewing the whole basis for "Greening" measures as the problem is not confined to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Topping date for LIPP is July 1st onwards and mowing date for traditional hay meadow is July 1st onwards. Dates too early to allow most wildflowers/grasses to go to seed. Date also too early to allow ground nesting birds like snipe/skylark/meadow pipit/lapwing to fledge sufficient young. The dates for mowing were July 15th but lobbying by IFA got it changed to earlier date.

I'm just saying what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

Birdnuts wrote: »
    . Its why the EU is currently reviewing the whole basis for "Greening" measures as the problem is not confined to Ireland.

The way Greening was added to the basic payment as a percentage was manifestly wrong.

Glas at least has can be defended as an honest attempt to help the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    The way Greening was added to the basic payment as a percentage was manifestly wrong.

Glas at least has can be defended as an honest attempt to help the environment.
    It might be helping the environment on the lowlands but not on commonage. People signed up to put a certain number of sheep on commonage but very few did. Yet still getting paid every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭morphy87

Did anyone here receive the rest of their glas money yet? I thought I saw they were paying it out early?

Yes I have received it. Some seem to have got it, not everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah I got mine the last few weeks too.

• Advertisement

Just a reminder for those who have WBC to book your seed order.
    In addition to the oats and linseed that we sow in our WBC, I buy phacelia and buckwheat seed (for the bumble bees/pollinators) from a different supplier. Unfortunately that supplier closed their online shop several weeks ago. I sent them an email a couple of weeks ago but haven't received a response :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

In addition to the oats and linseed that we sow in our WBC, I buy phacelia and buckwheat seed (for the bumble bees/pollinators) from a different supplier. Unfortunately that supplier closed their online shop several weeks ago. I sent them an email a couple of weeks ago but haven't received a response :(
    Do you plough it in every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

morphy87 wrote: »
    Did anyone here receive the rest of their glas money yet? I thought I saw they were paying it out early?
    got it on 20th April

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Anyone an idea of when information about an extension to the GLAS 1 scheme will be made available?

If you are in Glas 1 and it ends in 2020 will an extension in 2021 simply mean doing the same measures in 2021...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Earnshaw wrote: »
    Anyone an idea of when information about an extension to the GLAS 1 scheme will be made available?

If you are in Glas 1 and it ends in 2020 will an extension in 2021 simply mean doing the same measures in 2021...

Not confirmed yet but that’s my understanding that current plan will roll over to 2021 It’s going to be optional though so you can opt out if you want.

Do you plough it in every year?
    Yes, graze it tight and plough.

If it's the one in West Cork, email them again. I think they were over run with orders. Took me a while to get a response but they did ring back following an email.
    Or check this guy
    https://rathcormacgunclub.com/product/wildflower-meadow-mix/

I couldn’t get triticale 2 weeks ago. Got oats instead.

Water John wrote: »
    If it's the one in West Cork, email them again. I think they were over run with orders. Took me a while to get a response but they did ring back following an email.
    Or check this guy
    https://rathcormacgunclub.com/product/wildflower-meadow-mix/
    I emailed them again just now. I will try phoning them tomorrow. I'd like to sow the phacelia and buckwheat seed again this year as it's great for bees and pollinators.

• Advertisement

Yes, graze it tight and plough.

I didn’t plough year 3 (2018 drought) and 4 for kale in 2 year mix and weeds thrived while kale largely failed. Triticale was grand though. Maybe slugs a factor???

Ploughing tomorrow hopefully if not too wet. Hope it spills and I’ll do it next week.

Advertisement