Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

MipMap wrote: »
    Have you been looking at the riots in Hong Kong over the last few months?

Yes I have. Apparently they don't want to take orders from the Chinese government or want to come under their jurisdiction.That's fairly old news in Hong Kong given their history with China. Doesn't mean they have a problem taking orders from their own government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

The Hong Kong people don't say "how High" when Carrie Lam
    says jump.

They trash the city instead.

We don't do that

That's the British citizenship coming out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

In a lockdown scenario for the republic would there be anything stopping me driving up the north where the pubs should still be open ?

Common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

• Registered Users Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

what have those anti-government riots to do with SARS 2?

Well it was in response to the post where it was said that hen the Hong kong government jump they say how high. From the riots is clear that this is not true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Some of us then said then airports should be shut down then to stop it coming here from Italy. Now the thread exploded with new users all worried. Politicians should have done what was needed weeks ago and this would be prevented. Everyone HSE, WHO, and Irish government are all at fault for not stopping air travel..

Well at the very least they should have contained the people coming back from Italy etc. We were supposed to be containing it, instead infected people went about normal life. It was a bad call. Containing it more effectively would have slowed it down more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

"The Temple Bar closed from immediate effect"...on their facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

KiKi III wrote: »
    I have. As far as I can tell, small groups of low-risk people getting together without touching should not be a big deal?

None of us have any reason to have contact with at risk person like an older person or someone with a weak immune system.

I’m happy to follow advice like sanitizing often, sitting apart rather than right next to each other etc but otherwise I’m not fully seeing the reasoning behind moving from social distancing to full-on social isolation?

This might explain it better

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_source=reddit.com

Just because you are outside the danger group does not mean none of you could get sick enough to require hospitalization, the idea as explained in the article is to flatten the curve of infections for EVERYONE not just the at risk groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

silverharp wrote: »
    that's not a good argument, NI aren't as deranged as you suggest

You’d like to think that the shinners/IRA would want to protect the 26 counties and so wouldn’t be against the border being closed in order to prevent people from the free and open UK travelling to Eire and the Loyalists would be absolutely delighted to have a hard/closed border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

The Hong Kong people don't say "how High" when Carrie Lam
    says jump.

They trash the city instead.

We don't do that

They started off peacefully protesting about extradition, a big deal

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Lucy8080 wrote: »

They would still be open if they hadn't been embarrassed into closing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's my birthday :( but the good news is that I have not entered a risk group that is any higher than was already the case. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Sunday March 15.

A day that will live in infamy.

The day ISIS issued a warning to its supporters to stay away from Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    That's a shocking increase, I was surprised they didn't close their border with Italy early on.
    Switzerland's healthcare system is not self sufficient.
    They rely on thousands of healthcare workers from Italy, who commute daily.
    If they stop them, Switzerland's healthcare system will collapse.
    https://www.swissinfo.ch/ita/-epidemia-solidale-_caro-frontaliere--ti-ospito-io-/45612940

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I will say this yet again, but from now on not only will your posts be deleted, but you may well get additional sanctions applied

It is against site rules to request or offer any medical advice. If you have symptoms phone your doctor, and do not try and get a diagnosis from some randomer on the internet. Do not ask what medication to take here

Any questions, please PM me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Lucy8080 wrote: »

You'd wonder if they did it because of public health or because of backlash from the public?

If word got out that a few punters had picked up or shared while in that area it wouldn't look good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

1360 new cases in Spain so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

Absolutely. You probably have the stamps to qualify.

Potentially you would also be due redundancy (if you've worked in the job for more than two years), which is covered by the state if the employer can't afford it. Or it may be the case that your employer will go the temporary layoff route, in which case you should be able to claim redundancy in four weeks if there's still no work.

Worst case scenario, you would get the Supplementary Welfare Allowance which exist for people who have no other income or do not qualify for any other social welfare payment.

Unfortunately I can't advise on what measures have been implemented to streamline applications in the current environment. If none have yet been taken, I would expect they will be in the very near future.

Edit: I would perhaps advise caution in claiming redundancy in four weeks if your employer does use temporary layoff. Ultimately, your sector will survive. People will still need their hair cut so probably you'll still have a job when all is said and done.

Thanks very much for the info, hopefully it wont be too long to get it all sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Going to be an awful lot.of.people out of work soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

The videos that are doing the rounds on twitter, showing the police in China making their way through high rise apartment blocks in Wuhan, unlocking/unbolting/unwelding the doors of apartments only to find bodies laying on the floor after collapsing, are grim. One video shows a young man in an apartment waiting at the door with two dead bodies on the floor in separate rooms. They may have been his parents/relatives. He looked distraught. God only knows how many more there are like this. It's very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

VinLieger wrote: »
    This might explain it better

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_source=reddit.com

Just because you are outside the danger group does not mean none of you could get sick enough to require hospitalization, the idea as explained in the article is to flatten the curve of infections for EVERYONE not just the at risk groups.

That simulation really is the best I've seen so far for explaining how social distancing can slow down the spread of infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

You’d like to think that the shinners/IRA would want to protect the 26 counties and so wouldn’t be against the border being closed in order to prevent people from the free and open UK travelling to Eire and the Loyalists would be absolutely delighted to have a hard/closed border.

Ah now, the SF imperatives is an end to partition at all costs. So any means to achieve that is grist to the mill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Big backlash against the vintners on the news over their behavior. Good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

wakka12 wrote: »
    1360 new cases in Spain so far today.
    Is the French total still only 30?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

digitaldr wrote: »
    I was in what is possibly Ireland's dirtiest Tesco (Phibsboro) and all the till operatives were wearing gloves which they didn't seem to change or sanitise - utter madness!

I was in lidl yesterday, only one till operator wearing gloves and i was the only customer gloved up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Longing

Spanish numbers will be horrific at 8pm

Really bad at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Boris's plan is to imprison anyone over 70 for 4 months. What a looper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

They are not trying to infect 60% of the population...

I’m starting to see how easy and dangerous fake news is.

They are. That’s exactly what their”strategy” is. What is it that you can not understand?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Heard that the first death in Ireland didn't know they had the virus. Wasn't confirmed until after their death. So there's way more out there with it and probably more dying of it as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement