Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Huge jump in Switzerland,almost 850 new cases today. Switzerland are also only reporting serious cases now, so that is an enormous strain on the health services there in just the last 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I was in what is possibly Ireland's dirtiest Tesco (Phibsboro) and all the till operatives were wearing gloves which they didn't seem to change or sanitise - utter madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

We will have to try. Or the North will have to change strategies. Or we will have to change strategies.
    The Border will stay open, we are going to have '000s of unemployed young men soon; the last thing we need is for the drums to start beating.

What we need is for the clueless British Conservative Government and their fanatical advisers to stop relying on so far non-existent antibodies and get with the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I flew to Dubai last Thursday. It’s weird. At the time, Italy was the only country in lockdown and there was no advisory not to travel, Trump hadn’t instituted the European travel ban. In fact, even now there’s no advice not to travel to or from Dubai afaik.

I’m really not sure how much social distancing is necessary? I’m not displaying any symptoms, and I haven’t been around anyone with a confirmed case (as in, no one in my second or tertiary circles has been diagnosed)

Is it really that risky for me to meet friends individually or in small groups of 2-3? I’m talking about coffees and other such activities, not the type of thing you saw in temple bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

digitaldr wrote: »
    I was in what is possibly Ireland's dirtiest Tesco (Phibsboro) and all the till operatives were wearing gloves which they didn't seem to change or sanitise - utter madness!

Watch sky news. UK Government putting out the call to companies to make more ventilators. Telling over 70's to self isolate from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Agreed... It affects us far more than the others in Europe.

While we try to reduce spread as much as possible, north of the border they are trying to infect at least 60% of the population !

Unbelievable !

They are not trying to infect 60% of the population...

I’m starting to see how easy and dangerous fake news is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Any sign of building sites closing?
    why the gov hasn't order people not to go to work. they can hardly work from home...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭paul71

Im a barber, just found out the shop has closed. Will I be able to get some sort of jobseekers payment? I know my employer wont be able to keep paying me....

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/66d22e-covid-19-deasp-information-for-employers-and-employees-pdf/

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Im a barber, just found out the shop has closed. Will I be able to get some sort of jobseekers payment? I know my employer wont be able to keep paying me....

same boat here, not a barber but business is so bad the last week my employer will most likely close this week if it doesnt pick up (which is definitly wont)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,151 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

dan786 wrote: »
    In Austria gatherings of more than five people have been banned. The country's Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said that police would enforce the rules in a bid to halt the spread of the coronavirus.

The tougher measures were decided at an extraordinary session of parliament, during which Mr Kurz called on the population to self-isolate, only move out of doors when absolutely necessary and limit contacts to "the people they live with".

attended by 135!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

A lot of this kind of stuff is just "corporate signalling" as in look at us we're doing something in reaction to the crisis, without actually thinking through if that will in fact make any difference whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Go to your local Intreo office tomorrow. Don't ring, they won't answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

wakka12 wrote: »
    Huge jump in Switzerland,almost 850 new cases today. Switzerland are also only reporting serious cases now, so that is an enormous strain on the health services there in just the last 24 hours.

That's a shocking increase, I was surprised they didn't close their border with Italy early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

beolight wrote: »
    Adam Tooze (@adam_tooze) Tweeted:
    Germany has c. 25,000 intensive care beds equipped with ventilators.
    France has 5,065 intensive care beds equipped with ventilators.
    Why does Germany have five times more?
    All of a sudden this matters!
    @TobiasBuckFT @davideghiglione
    https://t.co/tpcdcm1uRH https://t.co/0JkkdUN2wK

We need some journalists to ask Minister Harris how many ventilators do we have?
    Looking at that chart Andorra has better facilities than us

Every German has to pay 15% of their salary into the public health care system, it's mandatory. If private you pay a fixed amount. I pay well over €600 a month for my private insurance, kids are then extra on top. Plus I have to pay €600 of medical costs in a calendar year before I can make a claim. And that insurance I pay is one of the cheaper policies.

You get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Be interesting to see what pubs open today. Im noting what pubs closed the last few days, these are the ones that get my money when things get better.

Watch now, there be clowns panic buying beer in off licences next.

Once again, Im around the Dublin 5 and 17 areas with a car. Any one has any elderly relatives or know anyone on their own that needs to go shopping /doctors ,or if there stuck for milk/ bread etc, Im only a pm away. Same goes to any front line staff that needs lifts to or from work, any time of the day/night. Im here.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

In a lockdown scenario for the republic would there be anything stopping me driving up the north where the pubs should still be open ?

This post shoid be stickied.

What part of lockdown did you not understand. Plus of course, the small matter of alcohol impairing judgement. For the latter it may already be too late

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Be an awful lot of gloves used if you're expecting them to change gloves after every customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

KiKi III wrote: »
    I flew to Dubai last Thursday. It’s weird. At the time, Italy was the only country in lockdown and there was no advisory not to travel, Trump hadn’t instituted the European travel ban. In fact, even now there’s no advice not to travel to or from Dubai afaik.

I’m really not sure how much social distancing is necessary? I’m not displaying any symptoms, and I haven’t been around anyone with a confirmed case (as in, no one in my second or tertiary circles has been diagnosed)

Is it really that risky for me to meet friends individually or in small groups of 2-3? I’m talking about coffees and other such activities, not the type of thing you saw in temple bar.

Educate yourself on this virus just a little bit. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

fFZeEnb.gif

Stop posting until I catch up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Route1

What’s the story? Are we getting off work lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Absolutely. You probably have the stamps to qualify.

Potentially you would also be due redundancy (if you've worked in the job for more than two years), which is covered by the state if the employer can't afford it. Or it may be the case that your employer will go the temporary layoff route, in which case you should be able to claim redundancy in four weeks if there's still no work.

Worst case scenario, you would get the Supplementary Welfare Allowance which exist for people who have no other income or do not qualify for any other social welfare payment.

Unfortunately I can't advise on what measures have been implemented to streamline applications in the current environment. If none have yet been taken, I would expect they will be in the very near future.

Edit: I would perhaps advise caution in claiming redundancy in four weeks if your employer does use temporary layoff. Ultimately, your sector will survive. People will still need their hair cut so probably you'll still have a job when all is said and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

dan786 wrote: »
    In Austria gatherings of more than five people have been banned. The country's Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said that police would enforce the rules in a bid to halt the spread of the coronavirus.

The tougher measures were decided at an extraordinary session of parliament, during which Mr Kurz called on the population to self-isolate, only move out of doors when absolutely necessary and limit contacts to "the people they live with".

How does this apply to work do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Be an awful lot of gloves used if you're expecting them to change gloves after every customer!
    If local Lidl is anything to go by they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

bekker wrote: »
    The Border will stay open, we are going to have '000s of unemployed young men soon; the last thing we need is for the drums to start beating.

What we need is for the clueless British Conservative Government and their fanatical advisers to stop relying on so far non-existent antibodies and get with the rest of the world.

Don't the Chinese blood tests look for antibodies rather than viral load?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Only if your at higher risk

• Registered Users Posts: 33,151 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

d51984 wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what pubs open today. Im noting what pubs closed the last few days, these are the ones that get my money when things get better.

Watch now, there be clowns panic buying beer in off licences next.

Once again, Im around the Dublin 5 and 17 areas with a car. Any one has any elderly relatives or know anyone on their own that needs to go shopping /doctors ,or if there stuck for milk/ bread etc, Im only a pm away. Same goes to any front line staff that needs lifts to or from work, any time of the day/night. Im here.

They are way ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is_that_so wrote: »
    If local Lidl is anything to go by they don't.
    they are trying to protect themselves not you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

They are not trying to infect 60% of the population...

I’m starting to see how easy and dangerous fake news is.

This isn't fake news ffs. The chief scientific advisor to the UK government literally said they want to infect 60% of people to develop 'herd immunity'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've been in there. It's a good pub. You couldn't fit anywhere near 100 in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement