Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Token women commentators in men’rt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

And i'm sure you can tell me in what ways it is different. Why dont you educate us all?

Well the first thing would be the probability of severe injury being much higher in the male sport so the balance between defence and attack would be very different than it would be for women. It's why trans MMA fighters/boxers competing against biological women is a nightmare.

But I'm sure in your mind it's all the very same. Because men and women are identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ironicname wrote: »
    Well the first thing would be the probability of severe injury being much higher in the male sport so the balance between defence and attack would be very different than it would be for women. It's why trans MMA fighters/boxers competing against biological women is a nightmare.

But I'm sure in your mind it's all the very same. Because men and women are identical.

tell Joanna Jedrzejczyk that the probability of injury is much lower. and that fight was at strawweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Nobody's saying their identical. Someone like Katie Taylor wouldn't know anywhere near as much as Mike Tyson but would still know a lot more about men's boxing than the majority of boxing fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Lisa Fallon may be the 'token ' female on RTE tonight, but has more to contribute than either Richie or the other lad in fairness to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭bobbyss

dobman88 wrote:
    Joanne Cantwell and Jacqui Hurley the 2 best sports broadcasters in RTE imo. Watch Allianz League Sunday tonight and then watch the Sunday game during the summer when Des Cahill is hosting. Absolutely no comparison, Joanne miles better. Jacqui Hurleys knowledge would put most people to shame and it's a pity shes not used more on telly.

Except Hurley's accent is insufferable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Lisa Fallon may be the 'token ' female on RTE tonight, but has more to contribute than either Richie or the other lad in fairness to her.

Are you serious???

I watched it tonight and thought to myself she must be reading from a script, her conversation felt laboured and banal.

You need a bit of slickness to make guff sound believable and credible she sounded as slick as a 10 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

bobbyss wrote: »
    Except Hurley's accent is insufferable.

Jacqui Hurley might be knowledgeable about sport but she a terrible tv presenter, can't understand how she keeps getting opportunities to present sport on tv.

tell Joanna Jedrzejczyk that the probability of injury is much lower. and that fight was at strawweight.

Yes. That was horrific. But the probability of that happening to her was much lower than it would be for a man facing a man. That's why I said probability. Obviously there are exceptions.

Greyfox wrote:
    Nobody's saying their identical. Someone like Katie Taylor wouldn't know anywhere near as much as Mike Tyson but would still know a lot more about men's boxing than the majority of boxing fans.

Exactly. And that's why I am not advocating that simply being a boxing fan would make you a good pundit.

You seem to think I am saying that female boxers don't know more than the casual fan.

Silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Are you serious???

I watched it tonight and thought to myself she must be reading from a script, her conversation felt laboured and banal.

You need a bit of slickness to make guff sound believable and credible she sounded as slick as a 10 year old.

I'm deadly serious.

Lisa knows her stuff, and I've heard her a few times over the years on pods and radio shows. The problem with what you're saying is you end up with people like Jermaine Jenas and the likes who are slick and look nice, but add nothing to the conversation.

• Advertisement

Yes. That was horrific. But the probability of that happening to her was much lower than it would be for a man facing a man. That's why I said probability. Obviously there are exceptions.

Women get cut just as much as the men. and any difference is down to women fighting in lower weight classes. nothing else.

The problem with what you're saying is you end up with people like Jermaine Jenas and the likes who are slick and look nice, but add nothing to the conversation.

Careful, Aul SpongeBob will be on in a second to tell you how gay that sounds.
    Maybe even a tad gay? (Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my particular cupán tae)

Not many men on the loose women panel. Are they sexist?

the clue is in the name. even an idiot could understand that

Women get cut just as much as the men. and any difference is down to women fighting in lower weight classes. nothing else.

It's just weight then? A male fighter and a female fighter at equal weights would be equally as strong?

the clue is in the name. even an idiot could understand that

Is it sexist to have an all women panel show?

It's just weight then? A male fighter and a female fighter at equal weights would be equally as strong?

that isnt what i said. you seem to have a severe understanding problem.

I'm deadly serious.

Lisa knows her stuff, and I've heard her a few times over the years on pods and radio shows. The problem with what you're saying is you end up with people like Jermaine Jenas and the likes who are slick and look nice, but add nothing to the conversation.

What exactly did she contribute tonight to the discussion that you were so impressed by.

She didn't get a word in at half time, she did make a contribution after the match that was an improvement on what I heard her say before the game...but she stuck out, I don't think she is even comfortable doing this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I'm deadly serious.

I want to listen to pundits that have been in the mix.

that isnt what i said. you seem to have a severe understanding problem.

I don't. You have a problem with getting your point across without being either vague or attempting to be condescending.

A man fighting another man in boxing has a higher chance of being seriously injured than a woman fighting a woman.

That is my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Well she has the highest available coaching qualifications. She has also worked as a scout/analyst for northern Ireland & Scotland. So in fact probably better than most former footballer's(male or female) to comment on a game

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Well she has the highest available coaching qualifications. She has also worked as a scout/analyst for northern Ireland & Scotland. So in fact probably better than most former footballer's(male or female) to comment on a game

Ahhh that would explain it...it felt like she was reading from a script or manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

A postman/woman is not a gender-specific career.

Men's professional football is a gender-specific sport/career.

(It's really not that complicated - the clue is in the name of the sport - MEN'S professional football)

You're right there Greta. The clue is in the nameS

Mens professional football

TV pundit
    If you had been on the other side of the argument, you'd have been labelled all types of "phobe" for that comment by some posters here.

Luckily enough you are on "their side" so they've let it slide.

I told you - I'm not in the least bit PC. I couldn't give a rats arse about gender quotas and so on, they are an absolutely terrible idea. But the suggestion that any woman couldn't possibly watch, understand and discuss a game of football, is just idiotic in the extreme. It's one of the most stupid things i've ever heard on boards....and that really is saying something.
    Careful, Aul SpongeBob will be on in a second to tell you how gay that sounds.

:D

It does sound a tad ginger to be honest.
    I mean look at Alex, look at her i said!
    There are only 2 types of men who aren't impressed. Blind men and.......:D
    YFlyer wrote: »
    I want to listen to pundits that have been in the mix.

I want to listen to pundits who know what they are talking about, are willing to speak their minds and are capable of doing so concisely and coherently. That rules out a huge chunk of players. I couldn't care less about their gender, their colour, their sexuality or their favourite breed of dog for that matter.

All the players get media coaching these days and the result is 80 -90% of the time it doesn't matter which player from which team is being interviewed you just get the same bland generic answers, it's all about the 3 points, we need to take the positives from this and work on it, we're just focusing on the next game, bla bla fúcking boring bla.

There are precious few people in the world blessed with the holy trinity of intelligence, eloquence and world class athletic ability. When it comes to talking on the telly for a living, world class athletic ability is the least important of the 3!

And remember it's supposed to be entertainment ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I'll add 3 things. Because, thats why.

1. Gender quotas are ridiculous and insulting, to both sexes.
    2. I don't care what sex the pundit is as long as they know what they are talking about and don't bore me senseless.
    3. I would also ride Alex Scott.

3. I would also ride Alex Scott.

Finally, a beacon of sense slices through the fog of idiotic bullshít :D

Finally, a beacon of sense slices through the fog of idiotic bullshít :D

To be fair that is a given and didnt need to be explicly stated. But for the record i would also ride her. Alex, if you're reading this, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Well that settles it then, I hereby commandeer this thread about sexism or pundits or whatever and make it the Alexandra Virina Scott Appreciation Thread.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQsiMe2PMpkDO7RDzVS_qi3VE-DSKdr4c_M6Us9T8Wo2Hy9OPTH

Please keep fan-fiction to a PG level. True stories about meeting Alex would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

You're right there Greta. The clue is in the nameS

Mens professional football

TV pundit

No game = no pundits.

Pundits absolutely part of the sport. No question!

They literally cannot exist without it! :)

I told you - I'm not in the least bit PC. I couldn't give a rats arse about gender quotas and so on, they are an absolutely terrible idea. But the suggestion that any woman couldn't possibly watch, understand and discuss a game of football, is just idiotic in the extreme. It's one of the most stupid things i've ever heard on boards....and that really is saying something.

It's a completely irrelevant point...

If she was a great pundit (which she isn't btw), then her appropriate place would still be in a studio talking about a woman's football match... stop taking a seat away from male ex-players/managers in their sport! It is discrimination against men in their own sport! ;)

:D

It does sound a tad ginger to be honest.
    I mean look at Alex, look at her i said!
    There are only 2 types of men who aren't impressed. Blind men and.......:D

You know someone is losing the argument, when they have to start casting aspersions on someone else's sexuality, simply because they wish to listen to male pundits talking about men's football matches!

Not to mention scoring a spectacular own-goal (pun intended), in a debate where you are trying to prove that a female pundit deserves to be there on merit regardless of what is between her legs! (Yep definitely not token eye candy - but you're gay if you don't want her there - you couldn't make this nonsense up! Honestly...) :pac:

Seriously, how immature do you have to be to approach an argument in this manner? Not to mention insecure in your own sexuality!? :p

This is why I never even bothered responding to your childish jibe previously... or reporting it (which I could have done)... I'm perfectly happy for that comment to be in this thread. So everyone can see how desperate you are getting!

Btw, I don't need to buy a sky subscription to get that type of entertainment... in fact I don't need to pay any money to get it... perhaps that's part of your problem, you do need to pay for it... trying to save some money with a 2 for 1 sports + girls package, eh?? Poor you! :D

I'm here for the football. So I want quality male experts talking about the men's professional game... not an unreasonable request. And certainly in no way sexist either!

If I can't get high quality one's... I'll settle for average one's... but there is no inherent obligation to settle for female pundits instead of men in the men's professional game! Again, absolutely nothing sexist about this whatsoever!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I like it. I like to be taken aback by their sharp insight and keen love of the game

You know someone is losing the argument, when they have to start casting aspersions on someone else's sexuality, simply because they wish to listen to male pundits talking about men's football matches!

I don't really care what your sexuality is, my issue is that you are talking complete bollox.

You never answered my question about Sian Massey by the way. Do you think she can do her job, or would you like to see a man do it instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

So I want quality male experts talking about the men's professional game... not an unreasonable request. And certainly in no way sexist either!

Anybody who doesn't want to listen to a pundit due to the fact that shes female is a sexist. Theirs no rules to state that a woman isn't allowed be a pundit on male sport.

Advertisement