Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Token women commentators in men’rt

Options
  • 08-03-2020 10:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

For me it ruins the pundit side of things, I get horse racing as the jockeys are both genders, but why other sports ? It’s incomparable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

For me it ruins the pundit side of things, I get horse racing as the jockeys are both genders, by why other sports ? It’s incomparable

I actually don't mind it at all. Rarely do I watch Match of the Day or a Champions League match and find that I'm being giving unique insights by the likes of Alan Shearer or Jim Beglin etc, so why not hear some other voices every once in a while. If you go in thinking these people are "token" women, I suspect that probably colours how you perceive what they're saying from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

They should stick to women'rt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I actually don't mind it at all. Rarely do I watch Match of the Day or a Champions League match and find that I'm being giving unique insights by the likes of Alan Shearer or Jim Beglin etc, so why not hear some other voices every once in a while. If you go in thinking these people are "token" women, I suspect that probably colours how you perceive what they're saying from the start.

I like women’s sport I watch their golf and occasionally football, but the game is different in both cases due to strength and durability, women’s pundits for women’s sport and men’s for men’s makes more sense imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's not a gender thing though...if you are into the punditry you will want to hear from people who have lived at the highest level of the game....women aren't anywhere near that.....

If they included an amateur or a 15 year bloke it would be the same....but because it's a woman we aren't supposed to question it.

That is of course, if you are into punditry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

For me it ruins the pundit side of things, I get horse racing as the jockeys are both genders, but why other sports ? It’s incomparable

Joanne Cantwell and Jacqui Hurley the 2 best sports broadcasters in RTE imo. Watch Allianz League Sunday tonight and then watch the Sunday game during the summer when Des Cahill is hosting. Absolutely no comparison, Joanne miles better. Jacqui Hurleys knowledge would put most people to shame and it's a pity shes not used more on telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I like women’s sport I watch their golf and occasionally football, but the game is different in both cases due to strength and durability, women’s pundits for women’s sport and men’s for men’s makes more sense imo

You're silly. 'rt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

What is r t?

dobman88 wrote: »
    Joanne Cantwell and Jacqui Hurley the 2 best sports broadcasters in RTE imo. Watch Allianz League Sunday tonight and then watch the Sunday game during the summer when Des Cahill is hosting. Absolutely no comparison, Joanne miles better. Jacqui Hurleys knowledge would put most people to shame and it's a pity shes not used more on telly.

100% tokens

anewme wrote: »
    What is r t?

Russia Today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's not a gender thing though...if you are into the punditry you will want to hear from people who have lived at the highest level of the game....women aren't anywhere near that.....

If they included an amateur or a 15 year bloke it would be the same....but because it's a woman we aren't supposed to question it.

What does it matter the difference in sports, most sports journalists don't even play the sport they write about, certainly not at the top level, most film critics don't make films. The "token" females pundits are way more qualified to talk about these sports than 99% of the lads watching them.

• Advertisement

Russia Today.

What has that to do with horse racing and football and golf ?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

But that isn't borne out by reality. I can mainly only speak to soccer punditry but generally it tends to revolve around "what a goal that was" level of insights. Playing the game at a high level has helped very few of these people to provide interesting, cogent analysis. I want to learn things about the game, I don't care if that comes from a Champions League winner or some woman I've never heard of who played for Arsenal ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

The female pundits on BBC for the 2018 World Cup knew what they were talking about. Obviously did their research compared to their male counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

'rt - representative token

Henceforth, this is how I wish to be identified.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    What does it matter the difference in sports, most sports journalists don't even play the sport they write about, certainly not at the top level, most film critics don't make films. The "token" females pundits are way more qualified to talk about these sports than 99% of the lads watching them.

Why are they more qualified? Who are they more qualified than, professionals many of whom have spent over 30 years surviving in a highly competitive professional environment?

And this isn't about journalists, this is about punditry....and credibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

100% tokens

I disagree. If they weren't better than the alternative then yes I could see how it would be a token gesture but they're far better at what they do and.are there on merit.

'rt - representative token

Henceforth, this is how I wish to be identified.

Ahhh more sexist bull**** for the sake of it.

(Just for a change)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If they have played the sport then them being pundits etc is fine with me. Theres plenty of ex men players that do punditry that shouldn't be allowed near a studio

Token or not, they're no worse than their male colleagues. That Alex Scott is one of the better soccer pundits around. Hardly high praise but the point stands.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What about women's sports that have had male commentators?

What about pundit or commentators that havnt played? What do they add?

• Advertisement

PsychoPete wrote: »
    If they have played the sport then them being pundits etc is fine with me. Theres plenty of ex men players that do punditry that shouldn't be allowed near a studio

My point is men’s physical sport and females physical sport is different, games like darts snooker and horse racing the exceptions, but even then there is no contest really it’s the natural law

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Ahhh more sexist bull**** for the sake of it.

(Just for a change)

I just made that up! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Why are they more qualified? Who are they more qualified than, professionals many of whom have spent over 30 years surviving in a highly competitive professional environment?

Jamie Redknapp has never said an insightful thing in his 10 year pundit career.

Experience and insight are very different things

I just made that up! :D

It probably is some some bull**** rubbish like that though.

But that isn't borne out by reality. I can mainly only speak to soccer punditry but generally it tends to revolve around "what a goal that was" level of insights. Playing the game at a high level has helped very few of these people to provide interesting, cogent analysis. I want to learn things about the game, I don't care if that comes from a Champions League winner or some woman I've never heard of who played for Arsenal ladies.

Would you expect a 15 year old boy or an Amateur to have the same knowledge of the game as a man who played over 20 years at the highest level of the game do you think....should there be more 15 year old's on the punditry couch?

I don't even understand why token presenters are included...wouldn't women in sport be much better served if we could actually watch women play and form a culture around a sport that we don't see every single week of every single year....I'd be all for that!!!

I said who they were more qualified than. The lads watching, you and me, the ordinary Joe. They're not women they've plucked off the street. Of course it's completely pointless discussing qualifications because there's no such thing for punditry (AFAIK) all that matters is whether they know what they're talking about and even that in itself is completely subjective. I've no doubt there's a level of tokenism to it but so long as they justify their place on the panel I don't see why not. Men's and women's football are not that different anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What is r t?

Ridiculous thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

My point is men’s physical sport and females physical sport is different, games like darts snooker and horse racing the exceptions, but even then there is no contest really it’s the natural law

The physical game might be on a different level. If the female pundits are watching a male game then they are seeing exactly what male pundits are seeing and giving their opinion which is exactly what the male pundits are doing

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I said who they were more qualified than. The lads watching, you and me, the ordinary Joe. They're not women they've plucked off the street. Of course it's completely pointless discussing qualifications because there's no such thing for punditry (AFAIK) all that matters is whether they know what they're talking about and even that in itself is completely subjective. I've no doubt there's a level of tokenism to it but so long as they justify their place on the panel I don't see why not. Men's and women's football are not that different anyway.

I'd even doubt that....women's football is at the under 15 boys level.

It's not fair to suggest that we all ignore that fact, I'd love to see more women's sport on TV but to shoehorn a few token presenters onto a TV show is doing very little...except raise topics like this...we all know they are token.

Is that what women are becoming...mere tokens?

• Advertisement

Would you expect a 15 year old boy or an Amateur to have the same knowledge of the game as a man who played over 20 years at the highest level of the game do you think....should there be more 15 year old's on the punditry couch?

I don't even understand why token presenters are included...wouldn't women in sport be much better served if we could actually watch women play and form a culture around a sport that we don't see every single week of every single year....I'd be all for that!!!

Are you really comparing the likes of Alex Scott to a 15 year old boy?

Advertisement