Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Token women commentators in men’rt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Punditry is football - it's a big part of it. They literally wouldn't have any reason for being there, in that studio, unless there was a match to talk about.

So yes, punditry is a very big part of the sport.

If they were part of the sport they'd be on the pitch. They are talking in a studio for the entertainment / education of viewers.

And why is nobody concerned that someone like Alex Scott is choosing the men's game over the women's game? Why not throw all her energy into the women's game... and help that sport to get to a higher level of awareness? That's the game that actually gave her the platform to even be on TV in the first place, not the men's game!

Because it's better quality i suppose.
    The very same reason why 200 million will tune in to watch el classico and only 9 people could be arsed to watch ragball rovers play alcos united on some pissing wet Sunday afternoon in Coolock.

With bigger viewer figures, comes a higher profile and bigger pay cheques. The woman is doing a job, she wants to be paid as much as possible for it i'm sure. Wouldn't you?
    There is nothing sexist about wanting to listen to a TV panel made up entirely of men, during a men's football match... it's actually a completely rational and reasonable thing to look for in gender-specific game!

Sounds a bit misogynistic do you not think?

Maybe even a tad gay? (Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my particular cupán tae)

Why don't we get all the boys over to mine and we can all drink cosmos and watch the boys run around in their shorts, then when it's all over we can listen to some more boys talk about it.

Given the choice i'll opt for Alex!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ironicname wrote: »
    She would understand the technical aspect absolutely. But men's boxing, like men's football, is a much different animal to women's boxing.

And i'm sure you can tell me in what ways it is different. Why dont you educate us all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The amount of people who care about being accused of sexism or being a misogynist is growing smaller by the day....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Gray was fired for making sexist comments, very different to sexually harassing women. That's not to downplay what he said but its a lot lower on the disgusting behaviour scale.

Andy Gray had his shirt tucked out at the front and asked Charlotte Jackson to "tuck that in for me love".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Greyfox wrote: »
    Yes male players should be given priority but if a woman happens to know what their talking about they should be allowed to do the job without people saying they don't want to listen to a woman. Saying a women shouldnt be a pundit on men's football is very clearly a sexist statement.

No it's not...

Saying a man can't get on a TV panel, in the men's game, because one of the seats has to be reserved for a female... that would be sexist!

And that is very likely what's happening.

Those jobs are very well paid, and quite handy jobs. I can guarantee you, there is a very long que of ex-players who would jump at the chance to take her seat in that studio if they were asked... but they've reached their quota, so hard luck chaps! (Maybe consider a sex change to improve your chances!:pac:)

• Advertisement

The amount of people who care about being accused of sexism or being a misogynist is growing smaller by the day....

True.

The number of people stupid enough to claim that NOT excluding women is sexist is also falling.

I have no time for feminism (or many other isms to tell you the truth) I'm not PC in the slightest, but stating that you can't manage to both talk about football and own a fanny - is just retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

No it's not...

Those jobs are very well paid, and quite handy jobs. I can guarantee you, there is a very long que of ex-players who would jump at the chance to take her seat in that studio if they were asked... but they've reached their quota, so hard luck chaps! (Maybe consider a sex change to improve your chances!:pac:)

It is sexist. As Eamon Dumphy and Mourinho have shown you don't have to be a past player at a high level to know your football. Yes its highly desirable but not essential as there are other skills that are also required. Maybe the other ex-players would be better or maybe they will be rubbish like Henry, truth is most ex-players just repeat the same generic comments anyway.

It is sexist.

No it's not...

It can't be sexist, to show favouritism towards men in men's professional football... that is completely illogical.

And Alex Scott is bang average, so it's not like you could even make an argument based on her being better than all the male alternatives! (And I would still say she should be in the women's game, helping her own sport, even if she was that good... )

No it's not...

It can't be sexist, to show favouritism towards men in men's professional football... that is completely illogical.

And Alex Scott is bang average, so it's not like you could even make an argument based on her being better than all the male alternatives! (And I would still say she should be in the women's game, helping her own sport, even if she was that good... )

To say that a woman is not capable of doing the same job as a man because she happens to be a woman is the definition of sexist.

To say that a woman is not capable of doing the same job as a man because she happens to be a woman is the definition of sexist.

I never said she wasn't capable... I said she had no actual entitlement to be there. (capable or otherwise) Unlike most other areas of life, where she probably would have that entitlement if she was qualified.

There's nothing wrong with favouring men, and excluding women, in men's professional sport. It's perfectly natural actually. There is nothing sexist about it.

Most areas of life, it is right and proper that you afford equal opportunities to both sexes... but we are not talking about those other areas. We are talking about the very unique world of gender-specific sports!

• Advertisement

I never said she wasn't capable... I said she had no actual entitlement to be there. (capable or otherwise) Unlike most other areas of life, where she probably would have that entitlement if she was qualified.

There's nothing wrong with favouring men, and excluding women, in men's professional sport. It's perfectly natural actually. There is nothing sexist about it.

Most areas of life, it is right and proper that you afford equal opportunities to both sexes... but we are not talking about those other areas. We are talking about the very unique world of gender-specific sports!

So that is even more sexist than before.

So that is even more sexist than before.

Nope, nothing even remotely sexist in what I said...

If you believe that women have the right to equal opportunities in men's professional football... then why does women's professional football even exist?

By extension, you must also believe then, that women should be given equal opportunities to compete out on the pitch too? Why stop at the TV studios? If you want to use your logic, then you cannot exclude the game itself... that would not be true equality of opportunity! ;)

Nope, nothing even remotely sexist in what I said...

If you believe that women have the right to equal opportunities in men's professional football... then why does women's professional football even exist?

By extension, you must also believe then, that women should be given equal opportunities to compete out on the pitch too? Why stop at the TV studios? If you want to use your logic, then you cannot exclude the game itself... that would not be true equality of opportunity! ;)

It is a job in tv not a job in sport.

It is a job in tv not a job in sport.

You're wrong. It is a job in sport.

The TV program doesn't exist, unless there is a match to watch... so it is all part of the sport.

Women have no entitlement to equal employment opportunities in men's professional football... that's why it's called MEN'S professional football. There is nothing sexist about favouring men. It's completely natural.

You really do struggle with the thin line separating watching something on telly from actively taking part don't you! Bizarre.

Actually - Sian Massey, the female lines "man". Do you think she can manage to tell if a player is offside for example, despite an alarming lack of Y chromosomes.

She plays a much more important role in the sport than anyone merely talking about it for money.

You're wrong. It is a job in sport.

The TV program doesn't exist, unless there is a match to watch... so it is all part of the sport.

It also doesn't exist without TV cameras - are they part of the sport?

Electricity?

Where does this sport end:confused::confused:

You really do struggle with the thin line separating watching something on telly from actively taking part don't you! Bizarre.

I'm not struggling with anything. It's very clear to me - men's football is for men. Women's football is for women!

You do seem a bit confused by this though!

It's actually very simple really. And nothing sexist about it....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It isn't that difficult to comprehend, the best person for the job should get the role.

Playing at the top level in men's football would be similar to having a Phd in a maths. Playing at the top level in women's football would be the equivalent of a level 6/7 diploma.

Being a pundit would then be equivalent to an engineering role, having a higher level maths would be very beneficial but wouldn't automatically make you the best candidate as there is more criteria than that for the position.

But with all else being equal the person with the Phd should be given the role. This is not happening with football punditry, the person with a lower level qualification is getting the position far more often than would be statistically expected and people are questionning this and gender quotas is the most obvious reason.

I'm not struggling with anything. It's very clear to me - men's football is for men. Women's football is for women!

You do seem a bit confused by this though!

It's actually very simple really. And nothing sexist about it....

What about Sian Massey then?

Can she manage to process the mindwarping difference between an offside man as opposed to an offside woman?

Is there a material difference to sticking out a size 10 boot to trip someone as opposed to size 5?

Should men with small feet be made play with the ladies just to be on the safe side?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I never said she wasn't capable... I said she had no actual entitlement to be there. (capable or otherwise)
    Yeah, nobody does. What a bizarre point.

• Advertisement

Yeah, nobody does. What a bizarre point.

Actually, plenty of people do... so it's not so bizarre to point it out!

But outstanding contribution btw! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’d be a follower of national hunt racing, and I’ve never felt that having women pundits on RTÉ or ITV was ever a token gesture. Just very knowledgeable people about the sport.

As an aside, there’s a very good chance Rachel Blackmore will be top jockey at Cheltenham. Again, there’s no allowances being made for her being a woman. She’s just one of the top 5 jump jockeys on the planet through innate talent.

I’d be a follower of national hunt racing, and I’ve never felt that having women pundits on RTÉ or ITV was ever a token gesture. Just very knowledgeable people about the sport.

As an aside, there’s a very good chance Rachel Blackmore will be top jockey at Cheltenham. Again, there’s no allowances being made for her being a woman. She’s just one of the top 5 jump jockeys on the planet through innate talent.

How is that in any way comparable to a sport like football, where mixed genders are not permitted to compete together?

This is a thread about token women in men's sport?

I'm sure there are some token women in horse racing, but you can't really call it exclusively a men's sport. (Even if it might be dominated more by men)

"excluding women" in a job a woman can do is the same thing as telling a woman she can't deliver post as a man normally does that job. Your deciding a woman isn't fit for the job BECAUSE she's a woman.

A football player and a pundit are very different jobs, one is same sex and the other isn't
    Yeah because no women watch men's football :confused:

Having a woman football player on to talk about men’s football is about as relevant as having a golfer on to talk about it. And vice versa.

It’s all just box ticking.

"excluding women" in a job a woman can do is the same thing as telling a woman she can't deliver post as a man normally does that job. Your deciding a woman isn't fit for the job BECAUSE she's a woman.

A postman/woman is not a gender-specific career.

Men's professional football is a gender-specific sport/career.

(It's really not that complicated - the clue is in the name of the sport - MEN'S professional football)

A football player and a pundit are very different jobs, one is same sex and the other isn't

They're both part of the same sport. So they're not very different.

One cannot exist without the other - no football game = no punditry! Again very simple.
    Yeah because no women watch men's football :confused:

Yeah, and no men watch women's gymnastics when the olympics come around every 4 years... :rolleyes:

You're really not doing anything to further your points here. You're just spinning your wheels...

Having a woman football player on to talk about men’s football is about as relevant as having a golfer on to talk about it.

Its been pointed out already the fact that its possible to know your football without playing at the highest level. e.g Dumphy
    A postman/woman is not a gender-specific career.

Men's professional football is a gender-specific sport/career.

They're both part of the same sport. So they're not very different.

Punditry is also not gender specific but you don't seem to understand this. Again a football player and a pundit is not the same thing. Their different jobs, I take it when women play football male cameramen, refs, linesman, presenters, researchers and security guards should be banned from working on women's football?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Maybe even a tad gay? (Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my particular cupán tae)

If you had been on the other side of the argument, you'd have been labelled all types of "phobe" for that comment by some posters here.

Luckily enough you are on "their side" so they've let it slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Not many men on the loose women panel. Are they sexist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's obvious that having female pundits in mens soccer or GAA is tokenisim, there really is no other reason to have female pundits for male team sports, there is already plenty of male pundits to do the job, it's strange that people can't acknowledge this.

I really wasn't in favour of this, however, some female pundits have acquitted themselves well, others haven't, that's the same for the men.

I think what it really comes down to is that the words of male pundits carry more weight than female pundits even if they say the same thing. As the male pundits are seen as having being there and done it, while the female pundits are not seen in the same light (fairly or unfairly).

The reality is the standard of punditry (male or female) in most sports has fallen drastically in the last decade. Whether people like it or not female pundits are here to stay. Just accept it and move on.

Advertisement