Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-XIX Part VI - 90 cases ROI (1 death) 29 in NI (as of 13 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

All the people wanting everything to be cancelled, it’s now in human populations around the world, it isn’t going to disappear. There is no point shutting everything down for a month and crippling the economy (which inhibits funding of research, treatments and other functions of society that keep a society functioning) only for it to reappear in June. There is also a limit on how long you can feasibly expect to properly control population to that extent.

Yes, of course shutting everything down will cripple the economy. People realise that.

The reason for shutting everything down is to 'flatten the curve' the health system will get, it give it some glimmer of hope. Wuhan style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Yes, this was my version from the other day!

Ireland - 27th February Zero cases here in the ROI.

On the 1st of March 2020 the1st case of Covid-19 was recorded here in Ireland (ROI) by the HSE.

Trajectory from 1st of March . . . .

1, 6, 13, 19, 21, 24, 34, (. .), (. .), . . .

34 cases recorded as of today, Tuesday 11th March

Are double nipples a symptom?

In a few months time we will all be gone and when people eventually re-emerge and look at boards.ie all they will find is Graces7 sending endless storm and cat reports from west mayo, offshore.......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

wakka12 wrote: »
    Another import from Egypt, an Egyptian man has tested positive at an airport in Saudi Arabia.
    It is likely there is significant community transmission occurring in Egypt and would imply that this virus thrives in warm climates as well as cold.

It thrives where people take it lightly and don't give a shyte about keeping their distance more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

In a few months time we will all be gone and when people eventually re-emerge and look at boards.ie all they will find is Graces7 sending endless storm and cat reports from west mayo, offshore.......

Indeed. I'm looking forward to the documentary about Graces7 (if I'm still around).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I'd thread carefully, she's up for a bit of agro today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

excel projections

NymhyVCl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Indeed. I'm looking forward to the documentary about Graces7 (if I'm still around).

21st century Peig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Are double nipples a symptom?

Yes, single nipples are so passé :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

What? Sure he's probably not sick?

The chances of catching it are slim enough. He's right to go to work unless he is showing symptoms.

Not true. Please stop spreading misinformation, it's not funny; you could literally be the cause of someone's death you absolute gowl. What the hell is your problem.

Dr Paul O'Brien last night on Prime Time. The evidence indicates that even asymptomatic people are often carriers before the standard testing confirms it. Schools and events need to be closed NOW. It's a hard fact but people are in complete denial.
    I'd thread carefully, she's up for a bit of agro today
    She's at risk of death because of a virus that everyone seems to find hilarious today. I know we need humour to keep us calm, but laughing at somebody who is high risk of contracting a virus the goverment is doing this bad of a job of handling is completely sh!t carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

spookwoman wrote: »
    excel projections

NymhyVCl.png

That's a very conservative projection, you are assuming a linear daily increase but the actual data from other country suggests a Gaussian curve of daily increases

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Jesus wept. Not everyone is going to be grand.

I didn't say that.
    Some will die.

Majority will not suffer too badly.

The stats prove this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

aloooof wrote: »
    I think Italy has a Go Fund Me page setup to help. Does anyone know if something like this has been setup in Ireland? It could really help; I remember seeing stats before about how our contributions to charity were among the highest per head in Europe. I know I'd certainly contribute what I could.

There's a collection ongoing for Brescia Hospital (from www.giornaledibrescia.it:
    Continuano ad arrivare le donazioni per la raccolta AiutiAMObrescia, attivata da Giornale di Brescia e Fondazione della Comunità Bresciana per sostenere il sistema sanitario bresciano impegnato in prima linea nella lotta contro il coronavirus.

Una generosità che si espande senza sosta, ma su cui è bene fare un’avvertenza: c’è un solo Iban corretto per contribuire con un bonifico e lo trovate pubblicato sui siti internet e sui canali social ufficiali di Fondazione della Comunità Bresciana e Giornale di Brescia.

Eccolo:
    Fondazione Comunita Bresciana Onlus (NB senza accento per evitare problemi)
    Ubi Banca
    IBAN: IT76Z0311111238000000001390
    Causale: AIUTIAMOBRESCIA (NB senza hashtag)
    Per chi risiede all'estero: BIC BLOPIT22

In caso si voglia mantenere l'anonimato per le pubblicazioni sul Giornale di Brescia aggiungere ANONIMO nella causale. Se si volesse dare un contributo «in memoria di» è necessario fare il bonifico e poi inviare una mail a amministrazione@fondazionebresciana.org.

Qualora sul portale Ubi, flaggando la Fondazione Comunità Bresciana, fosse comparso un Iban diverso da quello indicato ma sempre e comunque intestato a Fondazione Comunità Bresciana, l’operazione va comunque a buon fine: se nella causale è stato specificato «AiutiAMObrescia», la donazione sarà inoltrata alla raccolta dedicata. Le donazioni consentono la deducibilità degli importi donati. Tutti i clienti di Ubi Banca possono utilizzare l'home banking nella sezione bonifico solidale, che non prevede commissioni.
    TRANSLATION:
    Donations continue to arrive for the AiutiAMObrescia collection, activated by Giornale di Brescia and the Brescia Community Foundation (Fondazione della Comunità Bresciana) to support the Brescia health system engaged in the front line in the fight against coronavirus. A generosity that expands relentlessly, but beware: there is only one correct IBAN to contribute with a bank transfer and it can be found on the official websites and social media channels of the Fondazione della Comunità Bresciana and Giornale di Brescia. Here it is:

Fondazione Comunita Bresciana Onlus (with no accent on Comunità to avoid problems)
    Ubi Banca
    IBAN: IT76Z0311111238000000001390
    Remittance Information: AIUTIAMOBRESCIA (with no hashtag)
    For those donating from abroad: BIC/SWIFT code BLOPIT22

Should you wish to remain anonymous and not to have your name published in the the Brescia newspaper, add ANONIMO in the payment details/comments.

If you wish to make a contribution "In Memory Of" someone, after you've made your donation send an email to amministrazione@fondazionebresciana.org.

Please note that in most cases the number of characters allowed in the beneficiary name field won't be enough to allow you to type the full name (i.e. Fondazione Comunita Bresciana Onlus). I've spoken to my bank and I was told that the payments would go through anyway as the IBAN and SWIFT codes are correct.

I was sent a photo of an article on one of the papers this morning, it's from the Director of Brescia Hospital. I'll see if I can find it online later, it'll be easier to translate. Here it is anyway:

505268.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

With all this "Wuhan handshake', and "don't touch your face", what's the new, safe version of a facepalm? We're gonna need one.

Knee Palm

Or as i like to say Naplam!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

excel projections

NymhyVCl.png
    I don't agree with the headings, but where are the numbers in the left column coming from? They seem extremely optimistic..

Edit: Oh wait, it's the average daily increase thus far applied iteratively, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Interesting info about Scotland:

"analysis indicates three introductions of COVID-19 infections into Scotland for which genome sequence data is available. For two of these there is evidence of linked transmissions either occurring in or out of Scotland.
    Clustering is consistent with the known travel histories.

It is important to note the countries indicated in the sequence names are where the individuals reside and not necessarily the origin of their infection, as most are recent travellers. For example, CVR02 and CVR04 are closest to samples from individuals testing positive in the Netherlands. However, it cannot be concluded from this analysis that the Scottish individuals were infected in the Netherlands as we do not have complete travel histories for these cases.

Importantly, there are now multiple introductions of SARS-CoV-2/hCoV-19 into Europe and several introductions to Scotland.

source: http://virological.org/t/update-report-of-covid-19-in-scotland-multiple-introductions/438

• Registered Users Posts: 13,683 ✭✭✭✭josip

excel projections

I think you need to build in the R0 value for Covid 19 into your formula.
    Excel is giving you the basic LINEAR() projection

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

We have an opportunity to get ahead of this if only someone would make a firm decision.

I think a lot of people would actually be quite relieved (me being one of them), if schools and colleges are closed, gatherings of more than 1,000 are banned, social distancing was observed etc. If self isolation is not observed it will result in you being sent to the Gulags!

OK Cheltenham was and is a disaster, but that was a UK decision. No directives were given to people from here NOT to travel there, or demand self isolation on return.

Being given clear directions, (orders...), means that people, typical "be grand" Irish will not feel idiotic for voluntarily observing these rules. It would change mindsets. I do realise that Public Transport is a difficult one, and also the economy will suffer somewhat, but hopefully there will be stimulus packages, loan deferrals etc. put in place.

I'd like to think that our little country could do their best on this, push back the infection rates, and be proud that we did it.

We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Part VI and the country is still only in Phase 1 of the outbreak...

I went to light the fire and do some tasks and when I came back, brand new thread! Grand and yes a rapidly developing situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

NIMAN wrote: »
    I didn't say that.
    Some will die.

Majority will not suffer too badly.

The stats prove this.

Majority has become a very subjective concept when you look at the stats
    death rate on closed cases = 6%
    severe conditions on open cases = 13% (Iran inst providing data so this is probably even bigger)
    we are looking at a 20% of people requiring intensive care, which won't be available when numbers exceed capacity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Fully expecting most workplaces not to reopen after the weekend. Question is why not shut them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

The excel doesn't allow for the exponential spread of the virus, as more people become affected it moves faster.
    By the 10th April it should be much higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

We are most definitely in phase 2.

Phase 1 was a farce - contact tracing is no longer possible, anyone who says so is fooling themselves. Just look at the first case in Cork. They were only a handful of cases in and they are already mystified how he got it. Which means there's a person walking around with the virus that no-one knows about.

When you fail at phase 1, best to move on to phase 2, which is delay. Delay means closing schools and unis, cancelling all sports events and so on. The quicker they move to this the better.

It's possible the corks case got it in the hospital. I think I read he showed up in hospital at some stage and then he went in again for something else or another. Maybe someone in the hospital who was away in Italy. God knows.

Allowing flights from a hotspot in and out from the country to go about their daily lives with a yellow flyer, yeah that's a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fully expecting most workplaces not to reopen after the weekend. Question is why not shut them now.

Daftest statement in a long time.

Italy’s numbers today will be interesting, they dropped dramatically yesterday.

Might be getting through to them in Italy.

Increasing anxiety > increasing behaviour modification > decreasing number of new cases > interrupts the exponential chain for growth.

New cases were down yesterday by a fair bit. Today's update (round 5pm) will be interesting.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-scared-italians-finally-heed-call-to-stay-at-home-as-deaths-rise-11955061

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That's not going to happen.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Turkey has confirmed its first case of the coronavirus.

They have woken up guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

YbFocus wrote: »
    The excel doesn't allow for the exponential spread of the virus, as more people become affected it moves faster.
    By the 10th April it should be much higher.

Even though its a "spread"sheet?

:pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Why do you expect that? Based on..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Why shut them? Are people really going to isolate themselves?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement