Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'm immunocompromised (I'm on methotrexate for psoriatic arthritis) and anyone with my condition is encouraged by medical professionals to get the flu vaccine every year.

Glad it works for you. For me, more dangerous than getting flu. We are all and each different.

• Subscribers Posts: 687 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

i heard that for some viruses, if one person catches it, fights it, and passes it on, the next person doesnt get it as bad because the first person's immune system has weakened the virus. i havent heard this idea come up in discussion.

anyone know?

I heard it was the size of four cats, and has a retractable leg so it can leap at you better. Also it's luminous in the dark, has four ears, two are normal ears and the other two are just backup ears. It claws the size of cups, an unexplained phobia of stamps, a magnetic tail, and instead of a face it has four arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

scamalert wrote: »
    anyone have any stats from when influenza hit and how many deaths it had in say same period as corona, people aww here at few deaths, when we had 100 confirmed from flu alone - easily treatable and preventable, but reality is those at risk can still die,

and while some think brits taking no action and accounting for deaths, id say its fare, as eventually most will get it, but judging by the symptoms its only severe cases and small % that have highest risk.

as someone made comparison to road deaths, cancer etc - in many cases it can be stopped or prevented but reality is it still happens on daily basis, and coronavirus would need more then few thousand deaths to compare whats going ww daily

Covid 19 is 10 to 15 times more deadly than the flu,

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Hello all,

Today I am worrying,

I don’t smoke and have never had breathing issues, but I am feeling an ever so slight sensation in my chest and if I breath out hard I can hear a very slight wheezing.

The question I have is who do you call if you think you should be tested and I am hearing the test is €500? Surley that’s Bo**ox?

• Advertisement

zippy84 wrote: »
    I heard it was the size of four cats, and has a retractable leg so it can leap at you better. Also it's luminous in the dark, has four ears, two are normal ears and the other two are just backup ears. It claws the size of cups, an unexplained phobia of stamps, a magnetic tail, and instead of a face it has four arses.

Stop describing Simon Harris

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭josip

Beasty wrote: »
    IBTL

Somebody is enjoying their modding today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

sanjose1 wrote: »
    Kilkenny tradfest going ahead here tomorrow, ah sure we will be grand

Yea, this is the bit that annoys me. Every single parade is cancelled but there are still large scale events continuing - do it right and cancel all gatherings over say 1,000 people or don't do it at all but what's the point picking and choosing. There's big Gaa matches and concerts on this weekend that will have thousands of people at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

Part VI soon?

Hello all,

Today I am worrying,

I don’t smoke and have never had breathing issues, but I am feeling an ever so slight sensation in my chest and if I breath out hard I can hear a very slight wheezing.

The question I have is who do you call if you think you should be tested and I am hearing the test is €500? Surley that’s Bo**ox?

Phone your GP

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Hello all,

Today I am worrying,

Have people gone mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Pure Brilliance .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

ITman88 wrote: »
    This is the most realistic approach, experts on this thread are quoting the Wuhan approach of total lockdown, the same posters who are saying China aren’t telling us the truth, and what’s to say as soon as the lockdown ends the cases won’t escalate once again?!

Isolating people is not going to kill the virus. The virus will survive.

We cannot lock down indefinitely, in spite of what the medical experts on here are saying.

Always at a time like this you get people coming up with stuff like pintless washing your hands, if you are infected just go to work and infect everyone else, no point to a vaccine, vitamin D will cure it, if you wear a bracelet it will cure it, symptoms will be mild, etc etc.

Head in the sand stuff. Over 650 dead in Italy within 3 weeks of an outbreak. We are about 2 weeks behind if we continue with your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

And Facebook webpages are riddles with it. You can get it by looking at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Another import from a non Italian country, a croatian man tests positve after returning from a trip to Munch. There have been at least 50 cases in the last day of tourists contracting coronavirus in a variety of european countries other than Italy.

Egypt continues to pop up, 9 tourists were today infected after returning from a trip there. The country has only reported less than 60 cases themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

The philatelists will be grand so.

If nothing else, this thread is great for the Fr Ted references.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

<0.1% death rate for flu
    1 - 3% death rate for COVID19

10 to 30 times more fatal and only not spreading because people are being MUCH more careful than during flu season
    ive seen those stats but its compiled well over the years, i mean the initial break out, so 3 months period- how many were dead, or in intensive care vs what we have now.

as influenza took 45k deaths thats a lot corona on the other hand seems slow, as given where it originated population wise and how compcted chinsese were its tiny number to have for 14mill over 3k deaths.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hello all,

Today I am worrying,

More likely slight anxiety I'd imagine. Fever and a cough is the main symptom of the infection.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Have people gone mad?

So it is Bo**ox yes, i thought as much.

Who to call? GP or 999 ambulance service?

Hello all,

Today I am worrying,

Yes bo||ox about the cost, that's in some parts of the US, possibly.

• Advertisement

dougm1970 wrote: »
    whats happening in russia?....are they not reporting cases or testing ?.....or are they really not getting hit as hard....i see countries further away from equator like greenland not getting hit, but russia has hard hit countries like sweden and finland beside it....mongolia the same with low figures and china and south korea beside it.....and then theres turkeys numbers.
    its a curiosity.

so much as a sniffle and you're in the oven , I suspect

Wibbs wrote: »
    More likely slight anxiety I'd imagine. Fever and a cough is the main symptom of the infection.

But i am thinking if i have got it, better i test now and remove myself from circulation to protect others.

Not 999, GP should be able to give you the correct HSE number to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Hello all,

Today I am worrying,

Like srsly, for any personal health issues, speak to your GP. Not your local social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Me too.
    GP nags me until I get the flu jab and this year she included the pneumonia one as well.

Oh, I never get the flu jab. :pac: I’m very truculent when it comes to medication and only take what I absolutely have to.

scamalert wrote: »
    ive seen those stats but its compiled well over the years, i mean the initial break out, so 3 months period- how many were dead, or in intensive care vs what we have now.

as influenza took 45k deaths thats a lot corona on the other hand seems slow, as given where it originated population wise and how compcted chinsese were its tiny number to have for 14mill over 3k deaths.

Corona is slow because the whole world is doing containment measures. FFS China shut a city down with a population x2 that Ireland. No one shuts anything for flu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

GP

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Covid 19 is 10 to 15 times more deadly than the flu,

Tripe.
    Figures can’t be determined until testing is increased and time has passed so medical science can get an accurate measurement of cases to fatalities.
    South Korea has undertaken intensive testing and uncovered a low fatality rate.
    The inaccurate figures come from low numbers of tests carried out and thus people having the virus and not being tested.
    Numbers will be in accurate for a while.
    On a positive Ireland currently has a 0% fatality rate

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My wife is a nurse, I am currently working from home

Plumbers and Gardaí are lower level workers???

Once fixes big shít problems! The other little shít ones :P

Edit:
    Both are emergency services tho, and when the shíts ankle deep....
    A gaurd isn't helping! :pac:

• Advertisement

Like srsly, for any personal health issues, speak to your GP. Not your local social media.

Your a great help, thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement