Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

People have been criticising Luke O’Neill. The one thing that left me dissatisfied from his McWilliams podcast, that I thought he was complacent about was that he didn’t acknowledge that some young, healthy people have died from it. The Chinese whistleblower was a young, otherwise healthy (that I know of) guy and he died from it. That has been at the back of my mind since I heard about it. Does that mean you don’t have to be immunocompromised and/or elderly to die from this?

Well they are still very rare. I think even with seasonal flu some young(ish) healthy people can succumb, under very rare circumstances. Most of the cases of young people dying have been health staff in Wuhan and its thought it may be because they were exposed to such a high viral load.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sanjose1

Kilkenny tradfest going ahead here tomorrow, ah sure we will be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

silverharp wrote: »
    Most nurses with kids will be married too, presumably their husbands can work from home
    Wow can only women be nurses?!

I know it was only a mistake, I'm just messing with ya.

On the point of people not being able to look after their kids, many MANY people will be able to work from home. Of those who can't, family members and neighbours will be able to step in and help. It's an inconvenience but the smaller the communities of people, the better in a situation like this.

Usually my extended family are very close but my grandmother is in a nursing home and only one of my aunts has been visiting her for the last few months, and she's been off work for the last fortnight since the spread has gotten out of control. We know my nana is going to die soon anyway, probably in her sleep as most elderly people do, but we don't want her to die gasping for air in the way this virus kills you. With visitors allowed back into hospitals and nursing homes at the insistence of the HSE yesterday, this is looking to be a much greater risk today than it was yesterday.

Our school has put contingency messages up on their website, so it looks like we're prepared to close from the weekend onwards. Teachers will be responsible for sending work home and parents will be allowed to call teachers for advice and to report on progress.

A text went out to several principals seemingly from DoE this morning saying all schools would disband indefinitely on Friday, but upon enquiry it turned out to be a hoax. That's an extremely annoying setback, especially with so much community transmission here in Cork. You could see the relief in everyone and a huge panic set in again when it turned out to be fake, but everyone has their fingers crossed that sense has to prevail.

Less than half attendance in our special school today with many staff absent, so parents are clearly worried about their vulnerable children and several of my colleagues have said that they are in and out to CUH regularly for treatments and are certain their visits there last week are the cause of their current conditions.

Only 3 cases of community transmission though, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

That's my point though. We don't seem to have any capacity to get tested.
    I'm just saying that in two weeks people will be saying the same thing about returnees from Spain as they do from Italy now.

If you don't use the phone then no you're not going to get tested. Selfish individuals, like panic buyers will **** us all over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Candamir wrote: »
    Not rocket science, but it is a science, and one that you don’t understand and are not qualified in. Seriously, people are experts in this field, do we completely disregard their educated opinion in favour of some crank on the internet?

Your point re schools. How long do you think it takes to ‘set up’ remote schooling? How does that work for primary school pupils? For disadvantaged kids or rural kids who may not have access to the internet.It’s not overnight. What happens to the kids who don’t go to school? What happens to their parents who have to take time off work to mind them? If schools close, crèches and other childcare facilities will likely follow suit. The practical and economic effects of that have to be looked at. That’s not to say I don’t think schools will be closed, it just has to be a considered decision. It’s easy to say shut them down. It’s a lot harder to figure out what happens after, and when do we open them back up. If they close now, they won’t open again until September at the earliest.

So we’re going to call in the army and declare a state of martial law? Is that your best suggestion?

I don’t think you really understand the Irish psyche.

Right - so I was on here a week ago saying flights should have been cancelled to and from northern Italy weeks ago.
    But the science experts advising the government said nah tis grand.
    Now all our cases are linked directly or indirectly to travel to Italy. 34 cases and growing, more today, tomorrow and the day after.

Whose the genius here?

That's not to mention HSE advice on their website that you didn't need to isolate once you returned from northern Italy, you can continue your normal routine including going to work. You call that expert scientific advice?

The difference here which you fail to understand is I follow and advocate best practice - the Chinese model. Our government follow worst international practice.

You don't have to be a scientific genius to recognise this.

Basic cop on is what is required - badly missing in our government who are clueless.

In summary I advocate following the successful Chinese model. You are still clinging to the failed Italian model which they were forced to abandon because it didn't work. Our government also continue to follow the failed Italian model. We all know how that ended up. Disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

If the state allows thousands to die so they can continue to collect revenue do you think that will go down well with the people who lose loved ones,

The state is also considering the negative impact of forcing people not to go to school or work. We already have seen people go off on skiing holidays.. skiing holidays.. when it was already clear that doing so would lead to high chance of picking up the disease. We have plenty of people, even here, whining that it doesn't make sense to take proactive measures when there's only a couple of dozen cases.

We also have to be aware that Ireland is a very liberal country and many people care greatly about how Ireland looks. As Pascal O'Donoghue said, halting flights into Ireland might have made us look bad, or, as Simon Coveney said 'Ireland is not a fortress'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mloc123 wrote: »
    10 days later, not 3?

Screenshot 2020-03-11 at 11.37.17.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Most nurses marry lower level workers like plumbers, gardaí and manual labour types. Unlikely they can work from home.

Different with female doctors though I'd imagine.

I’m the coming weeks nursing will be more important than plumbing, manual labour and possibly policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

i heard that for some viruses, if one person catches it, fights it, and passes it on, the next person doesnt get it as bad because the first person's immune system has weakened the virus. i havent heard this idea come up in discussion.

anyone know?

this is different to the herd immunisation, as im not talking about people having had a vaccine.

If that were true then the virus would be gradually becoming much much weaker as time goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

i heard that for some viruses, if one person catches it, fights it, and passes it on, the next person doesnt get it as bad because the first person's immune system has weakened the virus. i havent heard this idea come up in discussion.

anyone know?

this is different to the herd immunisation, as im not talking about people having had a vaccine.

That's not how any of this works.

• Advertisement

anyone know?

This has to be the most misinformed and, frankly, idiotic statement I have seen yet. The smallest google search would have shown this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

owlbethere wrote: »
    If leo and some members of government still go flying for Paddy's Day shamrock giving, it very careless of them, furthering endangering our country and people.

I heard Simon coveney saying he was going to cut short his visits to various countries for Patrick's day. As if he was doing us a favour by coming back sooner.

My reaction was either don't go or go for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Graces7 wrote: »
    Absolutely! Thank you. Each is different and we trust our own advisers .

This comes up frequently; I have had the same response from every GP when I have moved county. NO vaccines in your case. And I trust that. The ramifications in my case - and I am already vaccine damaged - make the vaccine more dangerous than catching flu.

Hence my isolated way of life in a very remote place.

You didn't say "some" people with immune deficiencies couldn't take vaccines. Be careful about spreading misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

I say 20% as a sop to the screeching 'you are just hysterical' type of posters.

I'd see 20% as a minimum, with a corresponding 20K fatalities here, given current estimates. If 20K fatalities is not acceptable to you, you should be in the camp of acting fast and effectively to try and stamp out the disease.
    But running and hiding from the disease won’t kill it, sorry for being a “screeching you are just hysterical “ type of poster, which btw is a great example to use as a definition of hypocrisy!!!

So you're saying you're a Garda or plumber?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

whats happening in russia?....are they not reporting cases or testing ?.....or are they really not getting hit as hard....i see countries further away from equator like greenland not getting hit, but russia has hard hit countries like sweden and finland beside it....mongolia the same with low figures and china and south korea beside it.....and then theres turkeys numbers.
    its a curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Beanybabog wrote:
    Anyone who assumes people can work from home when the schools are closed obviously doesn’t have small kids. I have remote access and work part time and the most I can do is a couple of emails from home if the kids are here

This is very true and the reason why we are quite strict about working from home in our workplace and childminding. There would be trouble tbh if someone was on a conference call and heard kids in the background. I have small kids too and you just can't be working while minding them. Yes you can maybe take a call and respond to a few emails but that's what I do as standard in the evenings and outside working hours anyway. I couldn't put down a day of work with kids around and when I have had to take days off to mind kids I have been upfront with my employer and taken parental leave rather than pretend I can work from home so there is a lot to consider...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

dougm1970 wrote: »
    whats happening in russia?....are they not reporting cases or testing ?.....or are they really not getting hit as hard....i see countries further away from equator like greenland not getting hit, but russia has hard hit countries like sweden and finland beside it....mongolia the same with low figures and china and south korea beside it.....and then theres turkeys numbers.
    its a curiosity.

Are they testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

spookwoman wrote: »
    You said

You may have been told not to get vaccinated but that does not mean everyone else with autoimmune issues cannot.

Doctors and medical people advise everyone to get vaccinated for the Flu and like every medication SOME people will not be able to. Please do not make sweeping statements about people with autoimmune issues.

From CDC Site
    People who SHOULD NOT get the flu shot:

Children younger than 6 months of age are too young to get a flu shot.
    People with severe, life-threatening allergies to flu vaccine or any ingredient in the vaccine. This might include gelatin, antibiotics, or other ingredients. See Special Considerations Regarding Egg Allergy for more information about egg allergies and flu vaccine.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/whoshouldvax.htm

I have amended my post.

However your response was still unacceptable; you went too far the other way.
    Far too far.
    Over and out from me Bye

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

IBTL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭facehugger99

True - also if you're in a house with three or more people, two of them are able to gang up on the virus at the one time which substantially reduces both the infection period and the severity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

anyone have any stats from when influenza hit and how many deaths it had in say same period as corona, people aww here at few deaths, when we had 100 confirmed from flu alone - easily treatable and preventable, but reality is those at risk can still die,

and while some think brits taking no action and accounting for deaths, id say its fare, as eventually most will get it, but judging by the symptoms its only severe cases and small % that have highest risk.

as someone made comparison to road deaths, cancer etc - in many cases it can be stopped or prevented but reality is it still happens on daily basis, and coronavirus would need more then few thousand deaths to compare whats going ww daily

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

dougm1970 wrote: »
    its a curiosity.

Not reporting/not testing. Viruses don't stop at country borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fast moving thread, so apologies if already asked.

Is it a case that if you contract this - and recover - you can still recatch it - ie no immunisation built up to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

No, it's realistic. People don't self isolate when they have hiv, flu, hepatitis, scabies, impetago and a whole list of illnesses.

Some people also can't just not go to work or raise their kids.

It's a virus, it will spread. The vast majority will not die just as the vast majority do not die from the common flu but some do.

Christ people are getting so carried away. The dead have not risen!

No but as a taxi driver I get really pissed off at people getting into the confined space of my taxi with a cold, cough, flu symptom whatever because they were stupid enough to go to the pub or wherever and expect to get home as normal. Covid or not if you're not well stay the **** off work until you're better and definitely stay the **** out of taxis etc.

scamalert wrote: »
    anyone have any stats from when influenza hit and how many deaths it had in say same period as corona, people aww here at few deaths, when we had 100 confirmed from flu alone - easily treatable and preventable, but reality is those at risk can still die,

and while some think brits taking no action and accounting for deaths, id say its fare, as eventually most will get it, but judging by the symptoms its only severe cases and small % that have highest risk.

as someone made comparison to road deaths, cancer etc - in many cases it can be stopped or prevented but reality is it still happens on daily basis, and coronavirus would need more then few thousand deaths to compare whats going ww daily

<0.1% death rate for flu
    1 - 3% death rate for COVID19

10 to 30 times more fatal and only not spreading because people are being MUCH more careful than during flu season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I find this website a good resource for finding the latest medical studies coming from China and translating it into laymans terms.
    Odd seeing Apple, Cork on their newsfeed.

The site is a little alarmist, and has been hinting that we are not getting the full story for a while now, but unfortunately has been ahead of the curve with the 'bad' news..

This caught my attention:
    "Meanwhile, despite about 53 documented reported deaths of patients who had recovered in China coupled with more than about 612 documented cases of reinfections of recovered patents, there has been no further reports or studies about the effects of residual or dormant viral loads in those that have ’recovered’. Two such studies were immediately removed by orders of the Chinese authorities immediately after they were published on the Chinese open platform: http://www.chinaxiv.org/home.htm last week. There was also an unconfirmed report by provincial health authorities in Zhejiang saying that about 4,724 recovered patients have been hospitalized nationwide for other developed health conditions.

Many healthcare professionals and researchers elsewhere would like to know about the health and medical conditions of the more than 61,481 ‘recovered’ cases in China."

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/breaking-more-emerging-chinese-research-studies-shows-that-the-sars-cov-2-coronavirus-also-attacks-the-kidneys,-pancreas-and-liver

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

sanjose1 wrote: »
    Kilkenny tradfest going ahead here tomorrow, ah sure we will be grand

Anyone who attends needs to take a hard look at themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

What about a policy of staggered isolation. Can’t shut down everything or quarantine everyone but maybe do it on a local basis. Would keep business activity going and allow HSE to deal with cases in a more streamlined fashion, rather than a bottleneck.

Never gonna happen and would probably achieve nothing but cake to my mind there.

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    Fast moving thread, so apologies if already asked.

Is it a case that if you contract this - and recover - you can still recatch it - ie no immunisation built up to it?

Possible reinfection, like any disease.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement