Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

Bob24 wrote: »
    A lighter update, the bar of the French Senate is partially closing due to the virus.

https://twitter.com/pierredumazeau/status/1237656389545275392?s=21

Maybe this is what will trigger the enactment of severe legislation to fight the propagation of the virus! :-D

They couldn't close the Dail bar. It's the only thing that brings some of the TDs to the building on a Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

silverharp wrote: »
    Most nurses with kids will be married too, presumably their husbands can work from home

Most nurses marry lower level workers like plumbers, gardaí and manual labour types. Unlikely they can work from home.

Different with female doctors though I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

MadYaker wrote: »
    In his press conference on Monday Leo said there was a moderate to high chance of up to 60% of the population getting infected, the lower end of the estimate was 20%

I say 20% as a sop to the screeching 'you are just hysterical' type of posters.

I'd see 20% as a minimum, with a corresponding 20K fatalities here, given current estimates. If 20K fatalities is not acceptable to you, you should be in the camp of acting fast and effectively to try and stamp out the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,580 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MadYaker wrote: »
    I wish morons like you would stop saying hand sanitizing doesn’t help. It’s ok to be stupid but you dont need to spread it around. Wash your fcuking hands

Sorry maybe I should explain that better,

Washing your hands helps and should be the norm ,
    He saying Hand Sanitizers don't make a difference than soap and hot water ,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Has anyone asked the simple question of the HSE of they actually have the capacity to undertake community testing?

Because I don't believe they can do this. We already know that this virus spreads exponentially.

I was in Madrid last week and caught the flu while there. In two weeks Spain will be the new Italy. At which point the guidelines will be updated to include Madrid as a hotspot.

I, like everyone, get the flu each year so I'm not going to self isolate based on the guidelines.

And there in is the fundamental problem, did you catch flu of did you experience a CoVid19 exposure and at some time were spreading it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

josip wrote: »
    What is this "SYSTEM" ?
    Do you understand how an economy works and that things have a cost that has to be paid for by somebody in the end?

If the state allows thousands to die so they can continue to collect revenue do you think that will go down well with the people who lose loved ones,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Anyone hear of Mr. Fegelein, the multiple thread starter.

I'd love to here his thoughts..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Most nurses marry lower level workers like plumbers, gardaí and manual labour types. Unlikely they can work from home.

Have to be taking the p!ss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

People have been criticising Luke O’Neill. The one thing that left me dissatisfied from his McWilliams podcast, that I thought he was complacent about was that he didn’t acknowledge that some young, healthy people have died from it. The Chinese whistleblower was a young, otherwise healthy (that I know of) guy and he died from it. That has been at the back of my mind since I heard about it. Does that mean you don’t have to be immunocompromised and/or elderly to die from this?

Naggdefy wrote: »

We wouldn't

• Advertisement

ITman88 wrote: »
    This is the most realistic approach, experts on this thread are quoting the Wuhan approach of total lockdown, the same posters who are saying China aren’t telling us the truth, and what’s to say as soon as the lockdown ends the cases won’t escalate once again?!

Isolating people is not going to kill the virus. The virus will survive.

We cannot lock down indefinitely, in spite of what the medical experts on here are saying.

People are going to get it, nothing will stop this.
    What the infection control methods are for is the stop everyone getting it at once and completely swamping the health services.

We need to prevent deaths because we had 4 people sick but only one ventilator etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

ixoy wrote: »
    Why would you presume their other halfs can work from home?

Anyone who assumes people can work from home when the schools are closed obviously doesn’t have small kids. I have remote access and work part time and the most I can do is a couple of emails from home if the kids are here

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The Rook wrote: »
    Depends on the illness and the severity of said illness (and the individual).
    I am on strong immunosuppressants due to a long term illness and year on year both my GP and my consultants say that I most definitely should get the flu vaccine.

Having said that it might not be the same for everyone so one can't say that what applies to Peter will apply to Paul.

Absolutely! Thank you. Each is different and we trust our own advisers .

This comes up frequently; I have had the same response from every GP when I have moved county. NO vaccines in your case. And I trust that. The ramifications in my case - and I am already vaccine damaged - make the vaccine more dangerous than catching flu.

Hence my isolated way of life in a very remote place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

touts wrote: »
    They couldn't close the Dail bar. It's the only thing that brings some of the TDs to the building on a Tuesday night.

Yeah if they did that we’d be under immediate lockdown worse than Wuhan until the situation allows to reopen it ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Close the schools. They can make the time back in the summer. Not enough school days as it is but the children are the priority. Teachers not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

You posts always make me smile!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

i heard that for some viruses, if one person catches it, fights it, and passes it on, the next person doesnt get it as bad because the first person's immune system has weakened the virus. i havent heard this idea come up in discussion.

anyone know?

this is different to the herd immunisation, as im not talking about people having had a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

You can travel from pharmacy to pharmacy though. In my provincial town there are 6 in walking distance. Some people do that.

And in smaller towns/villages you just get them as separate transactions there and then.

My wife is a nurse, I am currently working from home

Plumbers and Gardaí are lower level workers???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

He's just left school, so is 0.00000000000000000000001% chance of dying - he doesn't give a sh1t - and fair enough, I wouldn't have either when I was 18...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ax530

We are coming into a long bank holiday weekend, most workplaces are closing Monday so people are heading from the cities to holiday homes in the country, will we see a huge increase in the spread?
    Maybe if those with country holiday homes for a long weekend are the same people who went to Italy to ski for mid term so could already be isolated !

On a serious note the spread can be reduced by hand washing, social distancing, not touching face. So the more people who practice this the better - those going to the country homes from city and those who are not going anywhere.

I plan on staying at home as much as possible to 'do my bit' to avoid the spread of this virus. Guess someone from house will have to go to shops but over all no social or entertainment outings.

If schools close people will have issues with childcare but hopefully others in the community can help out. I'd offer some friends to my house during the day. I will work from home in evenigns when kids sleep as working from home and flexible working are options for me and understand nurses and other health care professionals will need help to allow them function best to help treat sick people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Hilarious!! Not true but why would you assume that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

What am I going to call my GP for? I had a very mild flu like I've had before. I didn't develop it after an incubation period. I literally for it the day I arrived.

Is everyone who gets flu supposed to call their GP?

Standard flu has an incubation period, as well as CoVid19. You should at least ring the help line if you develop any flu like symptoms.

It's getting very tetchy in here today

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f295bad77b36af775950d0d06c869be05a84c92f8bb&rid=giphy.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

i heard that for some viruses, if one person catches it, fights it, and passes it on, the next person doesnt get it as bad because the first person's immune system has weakened the virus. i havent heard this idea come up in discussion.

anyone know?

this is different to the herd immunisation, as im not talking about people having had a vaccine.

GradE A bull plop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

We wouldn't

What’s your secret source update today? ;)

Particularly interested in school closures if you could keep it to that TIA :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I say 20% as a sop to the screeching 'you are just hysterical' type of posters.

I'd see 20% as a minimum, with a corresponding 20K fatalities here, given current estimates. If 20K fatalities is not acceptable to you, you should be in the camp of acting fast and effectively to try and stamp out the disease.

If we have fatalities at that level there will be blood, , (not a threat)

anyone know?

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

My wife is a nurse, I am currently working from home

Plumbers and Gardaí are lower level workers???

So you're saying you're a Garda or plumber?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

On the radio this morning, one of the nurses from CUH that is meant to be in self-isolation spent 3 hours in hairdressers yesterday. And was happy enough to tell hairdresser. If health workers can’t be trusted to do the right thing, what hope do we have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement