Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Nitrogan wrote: »
    Sinn Fein is evaluating Northern Ireland and will respond in due course.

Surely you mean...

"Sinn Fein is evaluating the North of Ireland and will respond in due course"

• Registered Users Posts: 67,232 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    Quite a few inaccuracies in that post.
    Firstly I was/am a supporter of gfa (with all its problems)
    When did the British (I assume you mean government) say they would go with what the Irish people (not sure what you mean by this) elect to do. If this was down to the Irish people alone, or even all the people who live on this island, then you’d probably have your UI in the morning.
    When they agreed that 'it is for the people of Ireland alone to decide their future'.
    That was when they indicated that they see you as 'Irish' downcow.

Then again if that policy was replicated around the world ie take a land mass and dicide it’s future by majority rule then there would be a fair few wars would break out me thinks. The brits are too smart for that. ��
    The 'war' over that is OVER downcow and the future has been mapped out.

Sinbad_NI wrote:
    You seem intent to keep the two communities apart, I get it, that's SF party line.
    I just don't see how you can bring a country and his divided people together like that.

You accept that people are different, you accept that both have different pasts and you respect them remembering if they respect you when they do it.
    Let’s accept your argument that Carson was a terrorist. The very valid point being made was the naming of gaa grounds after terrorists
    Can you imagine the outcry if NI football called their ground the ‘Lord Carson stadium’ and said it was welcoming to nationalists. Some people on here just can’t hold up the mirror to themselves or their beloved gaa Eh Francie
    See my answer above. The symbols of colonisation and domination are all ove the north and people have little issue with them.
    People have to be allowed the space to remember their dead. If a GAA club did it just to annoy or troll the other side I would have an issue. Just like I would have an issue with a march that was trolling/annoying.
    Carson, btw, raised a 'private army' and threatened both the British and Irish.
    He most definitely introduced the gun back into Irish politics. You cannot deny that fact.
    Here we go again. Francie living in last century
    We know you want to persist in denying what goes on around your annual celebration.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    No, people need to be more tolerant
    So what if someone's parade goes down the main road of your estate?
    Big deal.
    Just let them march, then it's over.

I used to live near Croke Park, matches & concerts impinged on my day to day living regularly. I just got on with it.

No issue at all with respectful behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    It's your type of attitude that keeps t he bitterness going.
    People need to move on & respect one another traditions.
    That means, if there's marches, they are done with respect to the locals. & in return the locals just allow/ignore/tolerate the marches.

So long as people keep up the attitude that's it's the 'other sides' problem, we will never move on.

The attitude of, 'Feck them, the will have to put up with it' will only bring resentment. Which is what most people on this island do not want.

You really haven't understood anything i wrote here really. That's okay.

Triumphalism has no place in society. Unless it's when we beat Kerry.

Honestly, I don't get what you're not getting.

20-30 years
    Granadino wrote: »
    they’ll stop hating fenians and taigs? So the bonfires will be there to celebrate what ? What will the point of the marches be?
    If it’s to celebrate being Protestant , as they claim, fair enough. If it’s to celebrate being British, they won’t be British anymore so what to do? Hang new flegs?

Citizen's are free to celebrate or protest how they see fit as long as it doesn't unduly impinge on others. That's how republics work.

That it makes no real sense isn't of our concern. But again we are jumping the gun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    You really haven't understood anything i wrote here really. That's okay.

Triumphalism has no place in society. Unless it's when we beat Kerry.

Honestly, I don't get what you're not getting.

Comprehension isn’t the strong point in some

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Runaways wrote: »
    Are wee country

Jaysis. It’s a province dc. Not a country. A province of Ireland by the way.

Only part of the province at that

M

Are wee country

Are Wee country?
    Bit of problem with comprehension yourself there I think.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I used to live off the Clonliffe Road. Croke Park was there before me so I had no real rights to complain about it.

These are triumphalist marches that seek to lord over Nationalists' in Nationalist areas.

They're in no way comparable.

Bonnie. The parades were going long before Cooke park was built.
    And maybe you could dive us some more detail on a few of these parades that you claim are going through nationalist estates. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Bonnie. The parades were going long before Cooke park was built.
    And maybe you could dive us some more detail on a few of these parades that you claim are going through nationalist estates. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

The OO have NOT given up on trying to make those parades happen, by hook or by crook.

In other words, your claims about change are dubious in the extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

15-20 years
    A bit of humour. Someone apparently got this message from Vodafone.

Being from the southwest of of Ireland and with no connections in the north, I'm a bit removed from issues discussed here but I like to read the different viewpoints here. I'm genuinely curious a's to why Irish language signs would be so offensive and threatening. Isn't almost every placename made up of Irish words anyway, just spelt in phonetic English (no more than many English placenames) ?

Is it the association of the language with the local republican movement?
    But to put that aside, why shouldn't such an intrinsic part of the local social and historical culture be used to add a sense of meaning and connection to many placenames?
    Hope this doesn't offend!

I appreciate the genuine question.
    Unfortunately the Irish language has developed into a win lose issue.
    Sf and ira were very clear they were using it as part of the struggle.
    It is often used in sectarian graffiti aimed at Protestants
    One difficulty is that they are going up in majority nationalist areas and it is marking territory. You now know what sort of area you are in by the road signs - exactly the same as flags.

One difficulty is that they are going up in majority nationalist areas and it is marking territory. You now know what sort of area you are in by the road signs - exactly the same as flags.

We'll let you work it out for yourself how to beat them if you think it is 'territory marking'. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    NewRed2 wrote: »
    But we all have to share the consequences of what happens...

You seem to think you're being reasonable, you're not. The consequences of partition are ongoing - what you're essentially saying is 'It's regretful what partition has done to people, particularly those who have to live with it day-in-day-out, but I'm okay so don't bother me with your issues'.

This state, in its current form, was created with a vision of a 32 County republic, you'll see plenty of evidence of this in the constitution, the national flag, the national emblems, music, everywhere if you care to look, these things are not ours to appropriate as they belong to the Irish nation and certainly not those who are against seeing out the vision.

20-30 years

Yes, the Irish language is the sole preserve of the IRA:

cd169.jpg

LOL+1303+-+Back.JPG

LOL+1303+-+Front.JPG

You should read this blog written by one of your brethern:

http://amgobsmacked.blogspot.com/?m=1

But those fadas* don't follow you into your housing estate beating lambegs and singing songs about how they are your betters etc.

*There's some homework for you

Give us simply one example this century of anything near what you are describing This is why there is such a prejudiced view of my community by many in south.

10-15 years
    Funny. The royals don’t seem afraid or threatened by the Irish Language. It’s odd a few headbangers up there say their identity is so threatened by a different language.. lacking any culture of your own I guess a far older one would spook you

https://twitter.com/kensingtonroyal/status/1236222668824813569?s=21

Are wee country

NI is absolutely not a province. It is as much a country as Scotland is.

10-15 years
    Are Wee country?
    Bit of problem with comprehension yourself there I think.....

That’s your second shot at rather lamely attacking me rather than the point. Speaks volumes about your absolute lack of ability to make an actual point.

Granadino wrote: »
    they’ll stop hating fenians and taigs? So the bonfires will be there to celebrate what ? What will the point of the marches be?
    If it’s to celebrate being Protestant , as they claim, fair enough. If it’s to celebrate being British, they won’t be British anymore so what to do? Hang new flegs?

You are just so away from understanding our community.

• Advertisement

Yes, the Irish language is the sole preserve of the IRA:
    l]

Did I say that??

30-40 years

Not a hope. Countries have a national anthem and a flag and the countries of Britain have a national people - the Scots, the Welsh, and the English.

Unionists like you are a people without a country. What was once 'our wee colony' is no longer yours, border or not.

487683.png

That’s your second shot at rather lamely attacking me rather than the point. Speaks volumes about your absolute lack of ability to make an actual point.

after your sly dig at me earlier......

And where exactly did I attack you rather then a post? Didn't happen

More self delusion.

You aren't even a province and are administered by an Agreement between two sovereign countries.

10-15 years

It’s really not.
    But whatever you’re having.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Not a hope. Countries have a national anthem and a flag and the countries of Britain have a national people - the Scots, the Welsh, and the English.

Unionists like you are a people without a country. What was once 'our wee colony' is no longer yours, border or not.

487683.png

Correct me if I`m wrong Tom but did`nt he make that speech before NI was created in 1921 so Ireland was one nation at that time,within the UK.

10-15 years
    The DUPs complete pivot has me wondering.

They’re now trying to sell the original backstop as the best deal *they* engineered for NI (they didn’t at all. We all know this).

They’ve been completely fvcked over by Johnson and they know it.

So when will voters in NI realise this? And or why do they still support them?

Have they even realized?

The latest inside politics podcast from the Irish times is fascinating and bizarre on this but I’d love to know.

Downcow will you still support that party despite them ruining ‘your wee country’ and lying to you so blatantly?

30-40 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    Ireland was one nation at that time,within the UK.

So what? We didn't want to be within the UK. London created a sectarian ethno-statelet for the likes of Downcow there and it's been a failure.

I would welcome DC as member of the Irish nation in a United Ireland despite his efforts to pretend that Ireland is a far away place he knows nothing about, despite living here for centuries.

487683.png

Tom it really is quite sad how you despise my community and the very existence of NI.
    Maybe you could clarify for me. Is there an International border between roi and ni which is recognised by all members of the United Nations including Ireland??
    If you think not, then I count point you to a good councillor
    If you think yes but you still can’t accept ni exists, then I could point you to a good councillor
    You really do have some significant issues going on

• Advertisement

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Correct me if I`m wrong Tom but did`nt he make that speech before NI was created in 1921 so Ireland was one nation at that time,within the UK.

You’ve caught Tom there and blown his argument that ni can’t be a nation because it is in uk. Lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement