Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    I`d imagine the British would be willing to pay their share of a UI but would`nt see themselves as funding the whole show.Equally,I`d think the British would expect the people of NI to have a significant input to how the place is run(policing etc).

Well they'd be citizens in the State so yeah, I woudl expect they would have input like we all do today in our various jurisdictions.

I feel people think that this new entity is somehow going to be some oddly detached monolith.

Just like the AGS and the DMP eh?

Not so different from each other, the PSNI & AGS are not comparable.
    Can't see too many Gardai going down the north to work, apart from the ones that are from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Concession concession concession...

I tell ya what, let's ask the Unionists to engage in good faith first with a Citizen's assembly and tell us what they would like in the event of a UI...

Not a chance. I told you earlier to try asking the turkeys to have an assembly to tell you what they would chose to be stuffed with at Christmas.
    I can’t believe you think any unionist is going to enter discussions on a UI

20-30 years
    Granadino wrote: »
    Why would a unionist want to be in a United Ireland ? They’d no longer be unionists. They’d be British people living in a different “country” according to their definition of the 26 counties.

And if they did ask to join the commonwealth...?

I don’t know. Have some kind of federal Ireland initially ...?

That's up to them to engage. Not our responsibility to keep at them like toddlers.

The Commonwealth is a weird sop to get hung up over. I would, as a citizen of a republic be against joining an organisation of little merit that's headed by a monarch (or their son).

Any federal or confederal state that keeps a divide of any description in place, is liable to fracture in future. So that's a no from me on that one.

20-30 years
    bubblypop wrote: »
    Not so different from each other, the PSNI & AGS are not comparable.
    Can't see too many Gardai going down the north to work, apart from the ones that are from there.

We already have Guards in Donegal.

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    downcow wrote: »
    Not a chance. I told you earlier to try asking the turkeys to have an assembly to tell you what they would chose to be stuffed with at Christmas.

Honestly, I don't really care at this stage. The likes of yourself are lost to the land of bigotry and handouts. You're of no interest.

At some point an Assembly will happen. Engage, don't engage, but don't complain when the day comes and you start shouting "NEVER" from under the sand in which you buried your head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    Does anybody else find it weird we only have one token unionist on boards and on this topic and a blow in who claims to be british?

I do.

20-30 years
    Runaways wrote: »
    Does anybody else find it weird we only have one token unionist on boards and on this topic and a blow in who claims to be british?

I do.

TBF, you're new around here. He's been doing the rounds for a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    That's up to them to engage. Not our responsibility to keep at them like toddlers.

The Commonwealth is a weird sop to get hung up over. I would, as a citizen of a republic be against joining an organisation of little merit that's headed by a monarch (or their son).

Any federal or confederal state that keeps a divide of any description in place, is liable to fracture in future. So that's a no from me on that one.

I woulda agree with all of that but it’s fair to say the nationalists/rest of Ireland will have to make some kind of concession. Or not ? The unionist tradition is about being British so how can that be accommodated in a “new” Ireland ?

20-30 years
    I woulda agree with all of that but it’s fair to say the nationalists/rest of Ireland will have to make some kind of concession. Or not ? The unionist tradition is about being British so how can that be accommodated in a “new” Ireland ?

Let them tell us what they want.

It's very simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »

You tried to opt out of the Anglo Irish Agreement and the GFA and look what happened.
    Because those were the will of the people, things moved on without you. This is a process and it's your decision if you want to be a part of it and contribute to it or if you want to be playing catch up.
    The British have said where they are at here...they are going to go with what the Irish people elect to do.

10-15 years
    TBF, you're new around here. He's been doing the rounds for a long while.

Point. Find it weird theres just one token guy only posts on one topic at all.

But here we are.

Has he met blanch? Seems they’d get on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

You need to stop using the word "suggest" and just read what I write.
    [/QUOTE]

you need to change your style of reply, in the few hours since I replied on this thread I have been called 'silly puppy' ,told ' I don't understand economics 'and the above comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    Does anybody else find it weird we only have one token unionist..

There's been plenty down through the years but they tend to get permanently banned.

Not unlike the parades commission if you think about it.

10-15 years

There’s over 100,000 actual Brits living in Ireland actual meaning the republic. They seem to just get on with it.
    It’s not like they’re rounded up and forced to learn our ways.

10-15 years
    There's been plenty down through the years but they tend to get permanently banned.

Not unlike the parades commission if you think about it.

Can’t imagine why.
    Constant seige / us v them mentality will do that.
    It’ll be studied someday I’d say.

20-30 years
    You need to stop using the word "suggest" and just read what I write.

you need to change your style of reply, in the few hours since I replied on this thread I have been called 'silly puppy' ,told ' I don't understand economics 'and the above comment.

I don't think I do.

But alas.

I really do not think you understand the basic internal economic dynamics of a unitary state.

20-30 years
    Can’t imagine why.
    Constant seige / us v them mentality will do that.
    It’ll be studied someday I’d say.

It must be exhausting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    The NI population will not be happy if their impressive NHS system is replaced by the piss poor HSE offering.

20-30 years
    The NI population will not be happy if their impressive NHS system is replaced by the piss poor HSE offering.

Welcome to the conversation.

What's so great about the NHS in the North (HSC) so? Enlighten us? Is it the concept of free at the point of use? Or is it the drastic wait times for GPs? Or even the lower standards of oncology care and recovery?

The HSE isn't perfect, but it ain't the land of milk and honey up north.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

There was a vote held about independence in scotland relatively recently (2014) and I was amazed the Scots voted to stay in the UK.
    The impression I had always got was that the Scots had always wanted independence and to break away from British rule.
    But when it went to the vote they turned it down. My Sister lives there and she's Irish and her husband is English and yet they both got a vote and so their votes counted equal to any born and bred scotsman and I thoght that was unfair but anyway they were among the 55% who voted against independence. I asked her about the voting and she said everyone who swung the vote did so from an economical viewpoint.
    It's not that dissimilar here. People will have romantic notions about the Island being one again etc but if it becomes a case of how do we financially support the north and it hurts people's weekly wage then tunes change.
    Added to that if we somehow went ahead with it you'll have unionists starting up bombings and we're back to an era we had hoped we had left behind.
    With every passing generation this idea of reunification creeps a little closer but if you rush it then it will all kick off again.
    So just leave it be for another decade imo. And even then who knows.
    One things for sure, SF councillors chanting up the ra wont help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

I think the GAA need to play a role, they’re so ingrained into Irish culture.

20-30 years
    NewRed2 wrote: »
    There was a vote held about independence in scotland relatively recently (2014) and I was amazed the Scots voted to stay in the UK.
    The impression I had always got was that the Scots had always wanted independence and to break away from British rule.
    But when it went to the vote they turned it down. My Sister lives there and she's Irish and her husband is English and yet they both got a vote and so their votes counted equal to any born and bred scotsman and I thoght that was unfair but anyway they were among the 55% who voted against independence. I asked her about the voting and she said everyone who swung the vote did so from an economical viewpoint.
    It's not that dissimilar here. People will have romantic notions about the Island being one again etc but if it becomes a case of how do we financially support the north and it hurts people's weekly wage then tunes change.
    Added to that if we somehow went ahead with it you'll have unionists starting up bombings and we're back to an era we had hoped we had left behind.
    With every passing generation this idea of reunification creeps a little closer but if you rush it then it will all kick off again.
    So just leave it be for another decade imo. And even then who knows.
    One things for sure, SF councillors chanting up the ra wont help at all.

We'll be waiting forever with that attitude.

20-30 years
    Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    I think the GAA need to play a role, they’re so ingrained into Irish culture.

What role should they play?

What role should they play?

More welcoming would be a start I guess.
    Some names used in recent times are far from that for example.

20-30 years
    Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    More welcoming would be a start I guess.
    Some names used in recent times are far from that for example.

They're a pretty open organisation.

They are a non-sectarian nationalist organisation.

How have they not been welcoming?

They're a pretty open organisation.

They are a non-sectarian nationalist organisation.

How have they not been welcoming?

Using INLA & PIRA members names isn’t too welcoming I’d say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

We'll be waiting forever with that attitude.

Yeah well maybe beyond our generation but if it's the route that avoids more bloodshed then is that not better than rushing it and leaving our kids growing up with the same terrorism and conflict that we grew up with?
    In the grand scheme of things another generation isn't long to wait given how long this has been going on for.

10-15 years

HSE outperforms the Ni NHS on every quantifiable measure.

That’s facts.

• Advertisement

There’s over 100,000 actual Brits living in Ireland actual meaning the republic. They seem to just get on with it.
    It’s not like they’re rounded up and forced to learn our ways.

They are here by choice however, they are not forced to live in the Republic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement