Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options
1329330331332333335»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    eagle eye wrote: »
    What amount is that?

These are rhetorical questions, right? You know the answers I take it.

You were telling us how intelligent you were last night so think it's odd you wouldn't know these answers.

20-30 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    I disagree and believe although an unpleasant character Margaret Thatcher's persona as the uncomprimising 'iron lady 'was strengthened on the world stage by this episode.

You reckon?

Tell me Rob, did the hunger strikers get what they wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,945 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

When people agitate for one? The same way everything happens.

You could start a pro-Partition anti-GFA group if you want.
    The same way you can have your own anti-UI group if you want.

There is of course a reason they don't exist and why they probably never will, unless Gemma Doherty and John Watters are at a loose end. Or Peter Casey. :)

20-30 years
    Like Boris she sold them down the river but back they go, like obedient lapdogs, again and again.

Maybe this time they will learn, but I doubt it.

By my reckoning this indicates that you "hate" Unionists.

You reckon?

The 'Iron Lady' that chatted away to the 'terrorists' she told the world and Unionists she never would talk to died a lonely old women reviled by as many if not many more than admired her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    You reckon?

Their actions increased popularity of nationalism amongst the easily led but also led to an increase in terrorism during the troubles.The strikes where generally regarded as a crushing defeat for the shadowy terrorists who portrayed themselves as 'freedom fighters '.

Their actions increased popularity of nationalism amongst the easily led but also led to an increase in terrorism during the troubles.The strikes where generally regarded as a crushing defeat for the shadowy terrorists who portrayed themselves as 'freedom fighters '.

Where was this...in the British media? :):):) Brexit was a crushing defeat for the EU in that. :):)

20-30 years

So wait, are you saying that there are a lot of Nationalists that would have been Unionists only for the hunger strikers?

Or are you saying that Irish Nationalism isn't a valid aspiration?

----

Further to that, my question was "did they get what they wanted"? Did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,538 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    If you are uneducated to the extent that the Hunger Strikes impacted the world in a massive way and turned the spotlight on the British Governments behaviour here, then you are deluded and you don't want to face realities of history.
    I never said it didn't. Read my post again.

You could start a pro-Partition anti-GFA group if you want. The same way you can have your own anti-UI group if you want.
    Why do you keep bringing up partition like I want to partition anything? I don't want to partition anything.
    I just want things to remain as they are for the next thirty years or more.

• Advertisement

I never said it didn't. Read my post again.

So what was outlandish about my post?

Why do you keep bringing up partition like I want to partition anything? I don't want to partition anything.

Then you are a partitionist for the next 30 years.

20-30 years

So you're pro-Partition and anti-GFA.

That's okay.

10-15 years
    You reckon?

That depends on your view of what they wanted.
    My opinion of what they wanted to achieve is probably different from yours.I think that something which started over prisoner status escalated into a political point scoring exercise by shadowy republicans who used the strikers as pawns.What do you think they wanted?

10-15 years
    Where was this...in the British media? :):):) Brexit was a crushing defeat for the EU in that. :):)

Textbook 'look over there 'tactics from you francie-who mentioned brexit?
    I understand as a disgruntled republican supporter you will try to agitate interest in a UI but the fact is although there has been some speculation about the possibility of that it remains far in the distance.Do you think the EU will be willing to cough up in the near future?I certainly don't.

So what was outlandish about my post?
    Claiming that the prisoners did it for anything other than prison conditions.

Then you are a partitionist for the next 30 years.
    No, I don't want to partition anything. In order to be a partitionist there must be intent to partition something.

So you're pro-Partition and anti-GFA.
    I'm pro Republic of Ireland.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

+10,000 posts.

Thread closed. Discussion continues here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement