Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Why is there so much coverage of it here? Nonsense.

The usual Irish infatuation with the U.S.
    Closer to Boston than Berlin.

I have interest in the final result, but as to who takes Iowa or Florida or wherever, who cares?
    What a weird, unnecessarily Byzantine way to choose a country's president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Why are we here? Why do we need to be here?
    No one actually has a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Creamy salad dressing.
    Was in Austria a few weeks ago and every time I ordered a salad, it came absolutely drowned in white, creamy dressing:(
    Who likes this stuff?

As for ranch dressing, that can go rightly fcuk off, too.

Nothing should go on a salad except homemade vinaigrette.
    No nice salad dressing has ever come from a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Why people buy pretty old houses and proceed to destroy all their character.

I also don't get people who resent books, reading, any kind of art and design and fashion.

I really don't get the idea of eating particular foods and nothing beyond them because that's what was served to you, growing up. Youre not going to be struck down for eating an 'exotic' furrin vegetable that isn't a potatoe!

The nice thing about being an adult is we have our own choices and the means for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Creamy salad dressing.
    Was in Austria a few weeks ago and every time I ordered a salad, it came absolutely drowned in white, creamy dressing:(
    Who likes this stuff?

As for ranch dressing, that can go rightly fcuk off, too.

Nothing should go on a salad except homemade vinaigrette.
    No nice salad dressing has ever come from a shop.

I like it, sometime I make my own as a change from the vinaigrette with mayonaise, dijon mustard and cider vinegar.

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    I like it, sometime I make my own as a change from the vinaigrette with mayonaise, dijon mustard and cider vinegar.

Peasant!

The usual Irish infatuation with the U.S.
    Closer to Boston than Berlin.

I have interest in the final result, but as to who takes Iowa or Florida or wherever, who cares?
    What a weird, unnecessarily Byzantine way to choose a country's president.

And after all the pushing and shoving invariably you end up with a clown at the top.

Himself grew up there and from time to time we go there for family reasons, we both hate going there (not the family), I can only think of all the money I'm spending to get there when I could be spending it going somewhere I really like. The first time I went there it all felt very familiar, nothing exotic about it I'd seen it so many times on TV and films.

Peasant!

Sometimes I'd even crumble a bit of blue cheese into it.

Sometimes I'd even crumble a bit of blue cheese into it.

Worse!
    A peasant with notions!!:eek:

Worse!
    A peasant with notions!!:eek:

It get's better, I don't understand why people think that fondue is so naff. I really like it, I make a great one with comté and emmenthal. Definitely a pleb now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

paddys day parade ...... why??? whats it all about ?? oh and green guinness

It get's better, I don't understand why people think that fondue is so naff. I really like it, I make a great one with comté and emmenthal. Definitely a pleb now :)

This is acceptable, once, while on holidays.

What a feckin waste of Comté:(

Leilak wrote: »

It's the Yanks, they destroy everything they get their hands on, they've done it to Hallow'een and are hell bent on doing the same to our national holiday and we just let them.

This is acceptable, once, while on holidays.

What a feckin waste of Comté:(

I get what you're saying, I'd use the cheaper supermarket Comté for cooking, (sometimes I'd substitute something else). Nothing nicer than a good aged Comté, that I keep to eat on it's own.

I get what you're saying, I'd use the cheaper supermarket Comté for cooking, (sometimes I'd substitute something else). Nothing nicer than a good aged Comté, that I keep to eat on it's own.

There's some hope, I suppose.

Another thing I don't get is cheese in salads. I don't mean a feta salad or a goats cheese salad or something like that. I mean little cubes of cheddar or emmental in a mixed salad. Eugh! French people seem to do that.

I have many salad issues, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The princess detests salade...

The princess detests salade...

But we have it flown in fresh from Guernsey with our organic yogurt every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,112 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Leilak wrote: »

The party on St Patrick’s day is about the sense of community and shared culture. I’ve no problem having people with other cultures living in Ireland. But I’d like Irish people, like myself, to keep our own historical and cultural traditions alive.

I’ll take part in paddy’s day. I’ll learn the stories and fairytales and teach them to my children. I don't worry about other cultures "taking over" as long as we keep our own culture alive and well. Other cultures can just add to Irish culture as long as we keep our own culture thriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Creamy salad dressing.
    Who likes this stuff?
    Austrians, obviously, and Germans too. Oh yes, and me :D

Made my first fondue in ages just last weekend as it happens! Used Gruyere and Emmenthal though.

• Advertisement

What I don't get with salads in Germany is that you get the salad before your meal, and most Germans eat it all first before the main course appears. I used to live there and I always loved the puzzled expression on the waiters' faces when they delivered the main course and the salad was there uneaten. They'll even sometimes go to take it away assuming you didn't want it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Alun wrote: »
    What I don't get with salads in Germany is that you get the salad before your meal, and most Germans eat it all first before the main course appears. I used to live there and I always loved the puzzled expression on the waiters' faces when they delivered the main course and the salad was there uneaten. They'll even sometimes go to take it away assuming you didn't want it!

They can't handle it, next time eat some cheese before the meal and watch their brain explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Its a vorspeise , an appetizer before a meal .I often still order a side salad as an appetizer here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

And after all the pushing and shoving invariably you end up with a clown at the top.

Himself grew up there and from time to time we go there for family reasons, we both hate going there (not the family), I can only think of all the money I'm spending to get there when I could be spending it going somewhere I really like. The first time I went there it all felt very familiar, nothing exotic about it I'd seen it so many times on TV and films.

Not always, to be fair. It's ironic in a country that abhorred royalty and privilege where 'anyone' can be president, that 'anyone' has to be absolutely loaded to begin with or otherwise well funded to get anywhere in the race.

Made my first fondue in ages just last weekend as it happens! Used Gruyere and Emmenthal though.

Yeah that sounds good, there's loads of different combinations, I was in Switzerland last summer and they had five or different cheese variations in one restaurant, it's not touristy everyone eats it. The thing I don't get though is raclette, it's basically melted cheese scraped onto potatoes and pickles, like a cheat's fondue.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its a vorspeise , an appetizer before a meal .I often still order a side salad as an appetizer here
    It can be a Vorspeise ordered separately, but often it's included as part of the meal but comes first anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

It's the Yanks, they destroy everything they get their hands on, they've done it to Hallow'een and are hell bent on doing the same to our national holiday and we just let them.

How would you suggest that the Irish dictate to the Americans how to celebrate a holiday? Do you really think anyone there cares for your opinion on the subject?

Yeah that sounds good, there's loads of different combinations, I was in Switzerland last summer and they had five or different cheese variations in one restaurant, it's not touristy everyone eats it. The thing I don't get though is raclette, it's basically melted cheese scraped onto potatoes and pickles, like a cheat's fondue.
    I was in a ski resort in the USA once and went to a fondue restaurant. They were surprised when I didn't want their "special" of cheese fondue for starter, meat fondue for main course and chocolate fondue for dessert. I think I would have exploded if I'd eaten all that!

I quite like raclette if done properly. The cheats way is to have an electric grill in the centre of the table with little pans that you melt the cheese in, but if done properly they'll have a whole cheese cut in two mounted in a special rack that's positioned in front of a crackling wood fire, and scraped off onto the plate for you. Very atmospheric in a nice cosy wooden alpine restaurant!

I quite like raclette if done properly. The cheats way is to have an electric grill in the centre of the table with little pans that you melt the cheese in, but if done properly they'll have a whole cheese cut in two mounted in a special rack that's positioned in front of a crackling wood fire, and scraped off onto the plate for you. Very atmospheric in a nice cosy wooden alpine restaurant!

I was nearly knocked out but the hum of melting raclette in a restaurant in France. Luckily, I was finished eating before the melting started.

A kilo of melted, strong cheese, some cold meats and a few spuds, anyone??

• Advertisement

How would you suggest that the Irish dictate to the Americans how to celebrate a holiday? Do you really think anyone there cares for your opinion on the subject?

Oooooh Touchy!

Advertisement