Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Alun wrote: »
    I was in a ski resort in the USA once and went to a fondue restaurant. They were surprised when I didn't want their "special" of cheese fondue for starter, meat fondue for main course and chocolate fondue for dessert. I think I would have exploded if I'd eaten all that!

I quite like raclette if done properly. The cheats way is to have an electric grill in the centre of the table with little pans that you melt the cheese in, but if done properly they'll have a whole cheese cut in two mounted in a special rack that's positioned in front of a crackling wood fire, and scraped off onto the plate for you. Very atmospheric in a nice cosy wooden alpine restaurant!

I think a three course fondue would be a real gut buster, it's stodgy and great for keeping out the cold but not 3 helpings.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A kilo of melted, strong cheese, some cold meats and a few spuds, anyone??
    .. and the pickles, don't forget the pickles :D

Ah, it's good hearty mountain food, not something to eat every day I admit though.

What are your feelings on tartiflette?

Seamai wrote: »
    I think a three course fondue would be a real gut buster, it's stodgy and great for keeping out the cold but not 3 helpings.
    Yeah, especially seeing as the resort was at nearly 3000m, which affects your appetite too.

.. and the pickles, don't forget the pickles :D

Ah, it's good hearty mountain food, not something to eat every day I admit though.

What are your feelings on tartiflette?

I was confusing tartiflette and tarte flambé, the former sounds good, I'll definitely be trying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Sour dill pickles here.Every brand I've tried is sweetened. I want the ones that make you pucker but haven't found yet. Broaden your taste buds FFS.There is a world of culinary delight for you.

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    I was confusing tartiflette and tarte flambé, the former sounds good, I'll definitely be trying that.
    Reblochon can be tricky to find, but I recall someone in the food forum saying that Gubbeen is a decent substitution. Must try making it myself.

Reblochon can be tricky to find, but I recall someone in the food forum saying that Gubbeen is a decent substitution. Must try making it myself.

Theres a really good food store / cheesemongers here in Cork called Iago, I've seen reblochon there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why people buy pretty old houses and proceed to destroy all their character.

I also don't get people who resent books, reading, any kind of art and design and fashion.

I really don't get the idea of eating particular foods and nothing beyond them because that's what was served to you, growing up. Youre not going to be struck down for eating an 'exotic' furrin vegetable that isn't a potatoe!

The nice thing about being an adult is we have our own choices and the means for them.

Ivan Yates going to an Indian restaurant and having the temerity to ask for chips instead of rice.
    Good Jesus that man is some boor. Having a go off of anything that isn't racing, business or sport as a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

There are a few different people on boards that I strongly suspect are the same person. They get into weird confrontations with each other.
    Seen similar on youtube comments, two users arguing with each other for ages and for some reason you just think- that's one person. What a saddo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

There are foods I have no interest in trying but its not like I rigidly stuck with a basic list of foods. I just feel more drawn to some new foods than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

People setting their work status as "full time mummy".
    Don't understand the mindset in the slightest.

You didn't hand in a CV for it.
    You didn't fill out an application form for it.
    You don't have a contract for it.
    You don't get a taxable salary for doing it.
    It's not on any job website that I've seen.
    You never see it advertised in shops or businesses, "Full Time Mummy Needed, Cash in Hand Contact 081111111 for More Info"

Obviously I'm being sarcastic but I still don't get why so many parents do it. Social media has become a very "look everyone, it's me!" platform.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

People setting their work status as "full time mummy".
    Don't understand the mindset in the slightest.

You didn't hand in a CV for it.
    You didn't fill out an application form for it.
    You don't have a contract for it.
    You don't get a taxable salary for doing it.
    It's not on any job website that I've seen.
    You never see it advertised in shops or businesses, "Full Time Mummy Needed, Cash in Hand Contact 081111111 for More Info"

Obviously I'm being sarcastic but I still don't get why so many parents do it. Social media has become a very "look everyone, it's me!" platform.

Or education as The school of hard knocks or The university of life

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Some people watch tv soap,s ,reality tv, or sport.
    They do not read books, at all.
    maybe theres 2 types of people in the world ,intellectuals, and basic people ,who have no interest in reading or going to a play or an art gallery .
    Theres people who just use social media and youtube ,they do not read any articles, or news unless its a psot on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

riclad wrote: »
    Some people watch tv soap,s ,reality tv, or sport.
    They do not read books, at all.
    maybe theres 2 types of people in the world ,intellectuals, and basic people ,who have no interest in reading or going to a play or an art gallery .
    Theres people who just use social media and youtube ,they do not read any articles, or news unless its a psot on facebook.

Indeed. soap,s and psot,s to beat the band.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Lotta people on here really really really hate poor people immigrants and anyone doesn’t fit their definition of normal meaning trans gay or even women. And not to forget travelers. And Sinn Fein.

I don’t get that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mismatched chairs around a dining table!
    I understand if somebody wasnt that well off and got chairs cheaply but often these chairs are rather expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Overdone make up.Foundation,contour,bake,highlighter.And they are only going to Spar for milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

dubstarr wrote: »
    Overdone make up.Foundation,contour,bake,highlighter.And they are only going to Spar for milk.

And it stinks as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Anal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Anal.

i can hook you up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

dubstarr wrote: »

Yes!! I have a friend who even if we're sitting in watching Netflix will apply a full face including heavy dark eye make up and lashes.

We were in the airport at 5am for a flight and it was the same.I have no idea what ungodly hour she woke up at to look like that then.

In a way fair play to her she takes pride in her appearance while I just washed my face and moisturised but I'm guessing it comes from a place of insecurity.

Anal.

I'd say you're doing it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Runaways wrote: »
    Lotta people on here really really really hate poor people immigrants and anyone doesn’t fit their definition of normal meaning trans gay or even women. And not to forget travelers. And Sinn Fein.

I don’t get that at all.

Yeah, what have Travellers ever done to anyone? It's a real mystery why people aren't fond of them, especially after everything they've contributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Paper dispensers in office or hospital bathrooms usually have a sign saying please don't flush down the toilet. Just get rid of the paper and problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

We were in the airport at 5am for a flight and it was the same.I have no idea what ungodly hour she woke up at to look like that then.

Homer's make up shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

A drawing of Malahide Castle on the cover of People's Friend magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People who say they are poor and have no money but they've new or nearly new cars, holidays, good clothes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Why the hell does HSE boss Tony Holohan keep taking his glasses on and off during the conference?? Talk about distracting. Just pick one or the other ffs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

people. i just don't get them.

Advertisement