Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Cherry Orchard sounds delightful, the reality is somewhat different however
    That's what I was thinking. Didn't want to mention any real places though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

There's a lot of Lake Views nowhere near any lake. Or whatever Views with no view.

There's a lot of Lake Views nowhere near any lake. Or whatever Views with no view.
    Also 'Oak Road', 'Heather fields' etc. Not a tree or flower to be seen in the place.
    Developer says 'well there was a lovely field of heather, oak trees etc here until we came in and levelled it' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I now get a lot of things I didnt get before. Maybe that should be a thread.
    I get people talkingthemselves up and highlighting their strengths.
    I dont think they are arrogant, anymore.
    I get the American cheery "have a nice day" and I dont believe its all false anymore.
    I suppose I don't get why lots of people are too up themselves to admit they could change and improve. They blame other people for not accepting the flaw or behaviour instead of admitting it is bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That's what I was thinking. Didn't want to mention any real places though ;)

Well 2 of the roads you mentioned are in Darndale

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Well 2 of the roads you mentioned are in Darndale
    :o Sorry, Darndale residents. I just made them names up, honest.

The British government's response to the virus.
    They are pussyfooting around the issue, not making any closures for fear of taking away people's rights or losing popularity, and not giving people a true picture of how bad things could get. Pull your finger out Boris.

The average Brit thinks it isn't that big of a deal, no wonder thay are still going on stag and hen parties. Add to that that most English people hate being told what to do and you have a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

How people from England cannot pronounce Ireland correctly??
    They seem to omit the R completely...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They are pussyfooting around the issue, not making any closures for fear of taking away people's rights or losing popularity, and not giving people a true picture of how bad things could get. Pull your finger out Boris.

The average Brit thinks it isn't that big of a deal, no wonder thay are still going on stag and hen parties. Add to that that most English people hate being told what to do and you have a recipe for disaster.

And we have an open border with them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Dead-end, sinkhole warzone estates always have really charming sounding names like 'Primrose Hill', 'Buttercup Valley' etc.
    Why not rename them 'Heroin Row', 'Concealed-Weapon Meadow, etc. Give potential buyers a heads-up.

up until the 90's you'd know a bad area if it was named after a bishop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Why people post fake **** on social media scaring the life out of older people when they hear it.especially right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I have a far more cynical view of what Boris and chums are doing (or not doing, in this instance). A bit of the old Malthusian approach that doesn't see a worse case scenario as all bad. Every cloud, you know. Nature's way of balancing things out and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    And we have an open border with them

Yeah! This could see some stark about turns in deeply held aspirations.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I have a far more cynical view of what Boris and chums are doing (or not doing, in this instance). A bit of the old Malthusian approach that doesn't see a worse case scenario as all bad. Every cloud, you know. Nature's way of balancing things out and all that.

Could be Sardonicat, who knows. Incompetence is one thing but the gov seems like they actually want it to spread it as much as possible.

Boris is more or less washing his hands of the affair (groan). They are all mouth and no trousers at the minute. Pubs open, concerts, stand up shows, horse racing etc all still going ahead.

edit-I forgot to say that the schools are still open in Britain, just saw on the news that any parents who take their children out of school could get in trouble with the authorities for truancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Why there's less fuss with the flu when far more have died here recently than from the corona.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

vriesmays wrote: »
    Why there's less fuss with the flu when far more have died here recently than from the corona.

If you don't understand the difference at this stage, there's probably no point in explaining it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

why some people are so negative, and how they cant see that this crisis will all be over in the not too distant future and most of us will be ok, the amount of young healthy people I have heard crying and worrying that the virus is going to kill them. come on, get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

pgj2015 wrote: »
    why some people are so negative, and how they cant see that this crisis will all be over in the not too distant future and most of us will be ok, the amount of young healthy people I have heard crying and worrying that the virus is going to kill them. come on, get a grip.

Fear of the unknown is a powerful thing.

If you don't understand the difference at this stage, there's probably no point in explaining it to you.

You mean you can't explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You mean you cant explain.

Means I don't think you have the capacity to comprehend what has been a widely broadcast message over the last few weeks so me repeating it will not make a jot of difference.

• Advertisement

How many people other than pensioners or those with an existing illness have died.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,017 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

How many people other than pensioners or those with an existing illness have died.

Very few. Which is great if you're not old or don't have a existing illness. But lots of people are old.

I'm still cross with the old people who continuously vote ff/fg and against any real change and against the interests of young people. But i still think we have do whatever is necessary to keep them safe - so they can vote against us in another general election or 2.

You know if a lot of people catch the corona and visit hospitals they won't be treating the old ones first.

pgj2015 wrote: »

Set the actual virus aside for a minute, we are very likely heading for a global recession, numerous businesses are closing and will not reopen, the economy is going down the crapper, millions will be lost on tourism, 140,000 people laid off in Ireland so far and that number will rise much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I'm kind of starting to wonder though, what if they have it right and we have it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

pinkyeye wrote: »
    I'm kind of starting to wonder though, what if they have it right and we have it wrong?

No i would rather us be over cautious.If Britain leave it too late to act its gonna be really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Set the actual virus aside for a minute, we are very likely heading for a global recession, numerous businesses are closing and will not reopen, the economy is going down the crapper, millions will be lost on tourism, 140,000 people laid off in Ireland so far and that number will rise much higher.

thats the spirit. the jobs will come back, we will still need to stay at hotels, go drinking in pubs, go on cruises, go for a meal in a restaurant etc a lot of the people being laid off is only a temporary measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭corks finest

Leo and FG

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Add to that that most English people hate being told what to do and you have a recipe for disaster.

They got some good company here.

• Advertisement

They got some good company here.

For sure, stupidity has no borders. But a lot of English people are extremely stubborn when they are told not to do something.

I remember reading a story about an English army officer who was posted in Africa during colonialism. He was going to go for a swim in the river not realising that it was infested with crocodiles.

His native servant realised what was about to happen and shouted 'STOP! DANGER! DO NOT GO IN THE WATER!'
    The officer cast an angry glance at his servant, dived straight in, and was torn to pieces.
    The servant was telling the story to his friend the next day and couldn't work out what had happened.
    The friend said 'Ah, you do not understand these English, next time this happens you must say "excuse me, most dreadfully sorry, but do you think you could please see your way fit to kindly staying out of the water?".

Advertisement