Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,113 ✭✭✭✭Esel

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Trying to read this is just painful
    Yeah, riclad should lay off the Return key after every sentence and use paragraphs instead.

It's like bad poetry as it is, and not read by me anyway.

Sorry riclad, it had to be said.

Not your ornery onager

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

riclad wrote: »
    Small tattoo,s are ok,if they are discreet . i think large tattoo,s that cover part of the arm
    are awful.large tattoo,s =low class chav .males that have large face tattoo,s
    ,well i think they are low level criminal,s or psychopaths .
    if you are in professional rock band or a heavy metal band then maybe theres an excuse, eg having a tattoo is just part of the image.
    In general large tattoo =small brain .
    i,m not saying there are not nice looking tattoo,s or tattoo,s that can look
    good,if its a good design and in a place where its not too obvious.
    i understand some in countrys like new zealand tattoo,s are part of the native culture .
    theres a presenter on fox news ,he says he never wash,s his hands,
    as he does not believe in bacteria .

i have not seen 1 person with large arm tattoo,s and thought that looks
    nice or artistic .

Love how this was just tucked in in the middle of the tattoo rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Small tattoo,s are ok,if they are discreet . i think large tattoo,s that cover part of the arm
    if you are in professional rock band or a heavy metal band then maybe theres an excuse, eg having a tattoo is just part of the image.
    i understand some in countrys like new zealand tattoo,s are part of the native culture .
    nice or artistic .

Large tattoo = small brain? Please, read over what you’ve just written and consider how it true it could actually be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

nice or artistic .
    I find that deeply insulting.Im no chav.

I think judging people you dont know on what they have on their skin is small brained.
    Plus any one with tattoos dont care what people think.I didnt get my tattoos for you or anyone.I got them for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

nice or artistic .

I would much prefer to spend time with a person with tattoos than with a person who was judgemental

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

After reading the TA thread, I don't get why people have carpet in a high traffic area like a hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

I don't get why CEX refuse to order in DVDs from their other stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,635 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I don't get why people buy DVDs in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The Nal wrote: »

lived on them for a month last year,...no broadband

asked my nephew had he any movies on a usb device and was met with "what year is this 2006?"

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Some people like to have physical media, I like to keep a few DVD's of films that I enjoy or boxsets of shows and still buy the odd one in CEX from time to time.

Also older people who don't use streaming services or don't have broadband probably buy them for something to watch when Last of the Summer Wine isn't on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭kerplun k

insolvency

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

kerplun k wrote: »
    insolvency

ivan yeates a prime example....fecks off to wales for a year and comes back dept free to a big job!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Reality TV . Heap of sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 30,389 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I buy the odd few DVD's in CEX for about €2.
    I joined Netflix and other sites and it didn't do much for me and I found I didn't get much use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I buy the odd few DVD's in CEX for about €2.
    I joined Netflix and other sites and it didn't do much for me and I found I didn't get much use out of it.

Very much quantity over quality

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The corona virus is so dangerous and contagious they keep telling us on the news, yet they are more than happy to send their reporters all over the world to do a quick and pointless update to camera at the site of the latest outbreak :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The corona virus is so dangerous and contagious they keep telling us on the news, yet they are more than happy to send their reporters all over the world to do a quick and pointless update to camera at the site of the latest outbreak :confused:

They like to send reporters over to anything for quick and pointless updates. Why do we have to have an RTE reporter in America covering stuff? No need for someone to be at the court case of Trump. Waste of money, but that's what the licence is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

They like to send reporters over to anything for quick and pointless updates. Why do we have to have an RTE reporter in America covering stuff? No need for someone to be at the court case of Trump. Waste of money, but that's what the licence is for.

That's true, but now they are putting their reporter and crew in danger sending them to virus hotspots. Putting us in danger too when they arrive back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That's true, but now they are putting their reporter and crew in danger sending them to virus hotspots. Putting us in danger too when they arrive back home.

Shur, are you not a real reporter if you don't put your life in danger? It's like the Americans sending their reporters to the war zones. Because we don't start warsfreedom initiatives, we send ours to areas that can kill the viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Shur, are you not a real reporter if you don't put your life in danger?

don''t take unnecessary journeys

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

The whole thing about the Big Bang.

I just find it bizarrely implausible and unprovable

Hokum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

What about them sending George Hamilton and Jim Beglin to cover Champions League games? Surely it could be done from at home. Some waste.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well we can observe that the universe is expanding(doppler shifts an' that), stars and the like are flying apart from each other, so if we run the oul tape backwards it means they were closer and closer together over time, which strongly suggests a point where they were, well a point.

God. Earlier. Observing health and safety protocols.
    giphy.gif

Funny enough the term "the Big Bang theory" was originally used as a disparaging term by those who believed in what is known as the Steady State theory(IE the universe was always the same pretty much), but over time became the name for it. It was IIRC originally called the "Cosmic egg" or Primaeval Atom" theory, thought up by a priest whose name embarrassingly escapes me. I think he was Belgian or French?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Wibbs wrote: »
    Funny enough the term "the Big Bang theory" was originally used as a disparaging term by those who believed in what is known as the Steady State theory(IE the universe was always the same pretty much), but over time became the name for it. It was IIRC originally called the "Cosmic egg" or Primaeval Atom" theory, thought up by a priest whose name embarrassingly escapes me. I think he was Belgian or French?
    You should be embarrassed Wibbs. His name was Georges Lemaître. I didn't have to Google that to find out, I already knew because I'm dead smart. And I definitely did not copy and paste the below paragraph from Wikipedia, I typed it out myself using information from my brain and I helpfully included notes and annotations because I'm a nice Guy like that. Just to clarify again, I had heard of this theory before reading your post, I had heard of this man before reading your post, I didn't have to check online for any information I have included here and I am dead smart. I am embarrassed on your behalf Wibbs. SMH.

Georges Henri Joseph Édouard Lemaître RAS Associate[1] (/ləˈmɛtrə/ lə-MET-rə, French: [ʒɔʁʒ ləmɛːtʁ] (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.pnglisten); 17 July 1894 – 20 June 1966) was a Jesuit-educated Belgian Catholic priest, mathematician, astronomer, and professor of physics at the Catholic University of Louvain.[2] He was the first to identify that the recession of nearby galaxies can be explained by a theory of an expanding universe,[3] which was observationally confirmed soon afterwards by Edwin Hubble.[4][5] He was the first to derive what is now known as Hubble's law, or the Hubble–Lemaître law,[6][7] and made the first estimation of what is now called the Hubble constant, which he published in 1927, two years before Hubble's article.[8][9][10][11] Lemaître also proposed what later became known as the "Big Bang theory" of the origin of the universe, initially calling it the "hypothesis of the primeval atom".[12]

• Registered Users Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm mortified for ya Wibbs :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Things I don’t get: faux modesty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Guy Person wrote: »
    You should be embarrassed Wibbs. His name was Georges Lemaître. I didn't have to Google that to find out, I already knew because I'm dead smart. And I definitely did not copy and paste the below paragraph from Wikipedia, I typed it out myself using information from my brain and I helpfully included notes and annotations because I'm a nice Guy like that. Just to clarify again, I had heard of this theory before reading your post, I had heard of this man before reading your post, I didn't have to check online for any information I have included here and I am dead smart. I am embarrassed on your behalf Wibbs. SMH.

Georges Henri Joseph Édouard Lemaître RAS Associate[1] (/ləˈmɛtrə/ lə-MET-rə, French: [ʒɔʁʒ ləmɛːtʁ] (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.pnglisten); 17 July 1894 – 20 June 1966) was a Jesuit-educated Belgian Catholic priest, mathematician, astronomer, and professor of physics at the Catholic University of Louvain.[2] He was the first to identify that the recession of nearby galaxies can be explained by a theory of an expanding universe,[3] which was observationally confirmed soon afterwards by Edwin Hubble.[4][5] He was the first to derive what is now known as Hubble's law, or the Hubble–Lemaître law,[6][7] and made the first estimation of what is now called the Hubble constant, which he published in 1927, two years before Hubble's article.[8][9][10][11] Lemaître also proposed what later became known as the "Big Bang theory" of the origin of the universe, initially calling it the "hypothesis of the primeval atom".[12]

That was brilliant thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,113 ✭✭✭✭Esel

God dropped one of his marbles and it shattered.

Don't ask what God dropped it onto - that's a mystery! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The sheer amount of faffing around in the run up to a US presidential election, fcuking caucus this and Super Tuesday that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

The sheer amount of faffing around in the run up to a US presidential election, fcuking caucus this and Super Tuesday that.
    Why is there so much coverage of it here? Nonsense.

Advertisement