Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

embraer170 wrote: »
    Very much an Irish thing these days. I travel a fair bit and I am struggling to think of another European country where shops have fully uncovered/unprotected baked goods.

And eg apples and other fruit that have been handled and pummelled... Thankful for bananas and oranges

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

fr336 wrote: »
    The people telling others to calm down is fine, totally fine, good advice. But in the same sentence they then go on to say "it's only a "2% death rate you know" lol

Could be worse could be watching trolleys and combing thru the internet for any slight case to report!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The expert team from the World Health organization found that asymptomatic infection appears to be relatively rare.

So the present figures for mortality etc. can be accepted at face value.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

That may be the case but if you are not testing most of the people who may only have mild symptoms then you are only providing statistics on those tested. As far as I can tell, unless you are showing considerable symptoms, you are more likely to not be tested. Limitations of testing capacity may play a factor in different countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

bb12 wrote: »
    absolutely...this whole outbreak has shown me that very many people have pretty bad comprehension of statistics and maths

The stats are so massively in our favour this virus is effectively irrelevant to the human race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

absolutely...this whole outbreak has shown me that very many people have pretty bad comprehension of statistics and maths

I think you'll find about 102% of people do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Cupatae wrote: »
    Thats prob not exciting enough a result for ya joe, imagine it pitters out and is a storm in a tea cup which tbh it most likely will. it has like a 2.% kill rate and most people recover.

It most likely will.. based on no evidence whatsoever other than hope. I'm more interested in facts, supported by statistics and science. Not wish upon a star nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

wakka12 wrote: »
    62 countries have now reported cases

Given the incubation period is 2-14 days, I'd place a large bet that there are people walking around Ireland with Coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

his mother and grandmother sick but not tested...?

In the early days of the outbreaks in Wuhan - tests were limited to those who were exhibiting advanced symptoms only. This was one of the major criticisms of the Chinese figures of those infected. Medically diagnosed cases were not included in the totals with many of those who were infected not being recorded.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Maybe, but at the other extreme there are the clean freaks and germophobes. Now I get that if you're chronically ill, or immune suppressed, but if you're neither more exposure to pathogens is better for you. Going around doused in dettol and necking antibiotics for every little sniffle, especially from childhood, is a recipe for sickly adults and a host of allergies.

I’m very much on for sparing antibiotics. Far, far too many get them for viral chest infections (vast majority are harmless but impressively audible viral ones) which are self-limiting and take up to a month or even more for the coughing to clear with it without antibiotics. On the other hand, I do get vaccines, eg against influenza cholera, rabies, tetanus, hepatitis. These things could be either miserable or deadly when travelling etc.

Tbh its shown me how ridiculously over the top most people are. And jump straight to the worst case scenario.. if people werent told to self isolate these sort of people would prob have hospitals over ran already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

One lad predicted 45,000,000 deaths and people were fine to let it slide ;) Go figure.

The 'lad' is an epidemiologist https://sph.hku.hk/en/about-us/faculty-and-staff/academic-staff/leung,-gabriel-m

I'm sure snow garden will provide a link to their CV so we can see why they think their opinion is superior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

fr336 wrote: »
    The people telling others to calm down is fine, totally fine, good advice. But in the same sentence they then go on to say "it's only a "2% death rate you know" lol

And 2% seemingly skewed towards both immune suppressed and people over 50. So if you're in one of these groups, clearly you've a higher chance of developing a more severe dose and either recovering slowly or dying...

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Given the incubation period is 2-14 days, I'd place a large bet that there are people walking around Ireland with Coronavirus.

For sure it’s here just not confirmed yet I would think . I know of one company someone came back from northern Italy last week went into work feeling sick and HR sent them home no update as to if they have been tested .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I have the sniffles, but how do I know if I have the Corona virus. I've had worse colds than these sniffles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

gozunda wrote: »
    In the early days of the outbreaks in Wuhan ......

When I read that I immediately imagined me telling “the Coronavirus history” story to my future grandchild in maybe 30 years....

1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Go to Gig and Events and join some of the music festival threads, some nice lineups been announced for Body&Soul Festival, Forbidden Fruit, Dun Laoghaire Harbour Festival and All Together Now. Looking at the lineups and the excitement for acts makes you look forward to the summer and I think it helps with taking a break from the Covid thread.

If they go ahead

Runaways wrote: »
    Crazy part is if you forced all the people who abandon their elderly parents in hospitals all around the country you’d free up hundreds of beds. People do this as they can’t afford nursing homes. It’s rife throughout the entire system an it’s never addressed.

Agree totally. Last time I was in hospital , on an acute surgical ward, 2 of the 6 beds were actually surgical. Myself and one other. The other 4 were old folk needing some care but not acute care. There is also a lack "step down " facilities ie community hospitals.

givyjoe wrote: »
    It most likely will.. based on no evidence whatsoever other than hope. I'm more interested in facts, supported by statistics and science. Not wish upon a star nonsense.

Heres facts for ya,

Most cases are Mild (more than 80%)

Most people recover

Hows that?

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    I know of one company someone came back from northern Italy last week went into work feeling sick.

If that's true, they should be fired. What sort of gobsh*te at this stage has not heard of this flu and where it's prevalent?

BarryD2 wrote: »
    If that's true, they should be fired. What sort of gobsh*te at this stage has not heard of this flu and where it's prevalent?

Oh I know people that work with them are not please to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,571 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Heres facts for ya,

The Iranian authorities may take issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Drumpot wrote: »
    When I read that I immediately imagined me telling “the Coronavirus history” story to my future grandchild in maybe 30 years....

1.jpg

:D

I have the sniffles, but how do I know if I have the Corona virus. I've had worse colds than these sniffles.

If you had it , it will get gradually worse it’s pneumonia essentially no ? Open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Doesn’t matter who takes issue with it. They are facts

They didn't, they died of TB!

Yep. My grandmother birthed nine; raised three. TB took the rest

Heres facts for ya,

Most people recover

Hows that?

Yes.......but indicates that 1 in 5 will have the stuffing knocked out of them. And as stated above, if you're over 50 or poorly in other ways, then likely that maybe 1 out of 3 of these will have severe cases. If that's not you, may be well be parents and/or relatives and neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yep. My grandmother birthed nine; raised three. TB took the rest

Awful. We are so lucky to live in a time of readily available antibiotics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I swear people don't want to understand. When it's on their screens in a few days (Iran) and a week or two (South Korea) then the penny will drop. 2%, 80% mild etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    For sure it’s here just not confirmed yet I would think . I know of one company someone came back from northern Italy last week went into work feeling sick and HR sent them home no update as to if they have been tested .

Sadly i'd say you are right. Oddly the one confirmed case was in Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

joe_99 wrote: »
    What % of people will actually get it the virus? Less than 1%?

Norway says it could be 25% of their population, others have said it could infect up to 60%.

1% would be the credibility I would give your posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement