Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

I hear about the sign of peace (handshaking) in mass being discouraged and that holy water fonts are being drained but nothing about receiving communion. Havent been to mass in years but do many people still have the priest/lay person helper place the host in their mouth as opposed to placing it down on a tray and recipient picks it up themselves? Either way I never thought it was particularly hygienic in the first place but I hope common sense will prevail in these circumstances !

Most people receive communion into their hands - and as of this week there's extra discouragement of receiving on the tongue. No need for anything but the host to touch the hand of the communicant. The traditional little bowl of water for ministers of the eucharist and priests to wash in has been supplemented by bottles of hand sanitiser since the year of the swine flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Might have missed a post about it, but what is the update on the British couple from the cruise ship? Last video I seen was the husband saying he was doing good, his body was fighting the infection by itself and his wife was doing good!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,981 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

37.5 to 40% it's on the bottle.:confused:

That's rather what I would have thought, so no good for DIY hand sanitzing.

Runaways wrote: »
    Wish I was messin.
    DM might be onto something. It was really bad at the time. Gonna just call the d doc I reckon

Possible cellulitis there, might need an antibiotic anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

cnocbui wrote: »

Just drink it instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well the HSE has issues but the staff aren't useless fookers as you say. I really really wish people having a go at the HSE would be specific as to just what part they are on about.

You only have to spend a short time in limericks a&e to see the conditions nurses and doctors work under... I can't imagine the exhaustion and stress after a normal weekend. Hats off to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

You only have to spend a short time in limericks a&e to see the conditions nurses and doctors work under... I can't imagine the exhaustion and stress after a normal weekend. Hats off to them

So the conditions are terrible and they are way understaffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Getting serious in Italy now. Italian's love their football and wouldn't have done this without knowledge of how bad this will get. Just as well they don't have Luke O'Neill advising them as they'd be in a much worse state and just plow on regardless

https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1233719347270574081

I think it already was serious in Italy and this is just the logical next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 morebarn

amor3 wrote: »
    Might have missed a post about it, but what is the update on the British couple from the cruise ship? Last video I seen was the husband saying he was doing good, his body was fighting the infection by itself and his wife was doing good!

David Abel I think?
    He posted a new video this morning on YouTube
    Both doing well but have tested positive, again!
    So they need more testing and will be probably in hospital for another week until they show negative results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Drumpot wrote: »

I haven’t a clue what way Ireland tests, somebody has mentioned it I am sure but the explanation means nothing to my layman ears.

PCR - more details from the NVRLs website here. The are now doing 2 runs a day if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,981 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Cnocbui, I am not letting this pass.

Did you mean 45,000,000 or 450,000,000?

45,000,000 https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12307892

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Luke do you think anything in the country is good ? You are one of the most negative posters I’ve seen recently. Complete negativity to everything. That much negativity is bad for your health.

I agree with these sentiments.

This is all kind of new and scary to us all. But it can be a balancing act to watch appropriate levels of videos and reading information. I’ve at times over done it and made myself nearly feel sick but resetting myself and reminding myself that this is most likely going to just end up being a period of inconvenience. I know this is going to effect some people/families more then others but I only have the energy to focus on my own right now. I think that’s all any one of us can do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Ah yes, 3000 dead to date. 44,997,000 to go.
    We'll see. I wont even ask if you believe it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Cnocbui, I am not letting this pass.

OK Gandalf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Reading this thread the last few days. I am a natural worrier, can't help it. I automatically jump to worst case scenario. All kinds of things go through my mind, mainly can i protect my kids from this? What if Myself and partner die, what will happen them? See? Worst case scenario!

Anyway what I wanted to say is , although we all need to take this seriously and take necessary precautions, I am so very grateful for the sense of humour here too. I love how we as a nation do that in the face of doom, it's so important. And also to take breaks from this thread every now and then , do something normal to get some headspace from all the worry. We will get through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Reading this thread the last few days. I am a natural worrier, can't help it. I automatically jump to worst case scenario. All kinds of things go through my mind, mainly can i protect my kids from this? What if Myself and partner die, what will happen them? See? Worst case scenario!

Anyway what I wanted to say is , although we all need to take this seriously and take necessary precautions, I am so very grateful for the sense of humour here too. I love how we as a nation do that in the face of doom, it's so important. And also to take breaks from this thread every now and then , do something normal to get some headspace from all the worry. We will get through this.

Doom...maybe slightly over egging it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Doom...maybe slightly over egging it

True! Told ya worst case scenario!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I wonder how Covid-19 affects obese/morbidly obese people. Some of the largest mortality rates seem to be in those with heart conditions and obesity/morbid obesity is very closely linked to heart failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

We sometimes look down our noses at the half truths and obfuscation on display from some of the Authoritarian regimes around the world when dealing with this pandemic, but don't be too smug....the leader of the free world is catching up fast.
    You could see that when Trump spoke in the White House briefing room, brazenly contradicting the experts by his side. But it’s now become formal policy, with Trump’s insistence that all federal officials – including those with deep scientific expertise – are to say nothing that has not first been authorised by the White House.

Note the fate of Dr Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease.

On Thursday he dared say that “we are dealing with a serious virus” with a higher mortality rate than regular flu. That was deemed insufficiently upbeat for the great leader. According to the New York Times, “Dr Fauci has told associates that the White House had instructed him not to say anything else without clearance.”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/28/coronavirus-donald-trump-truth-president

*sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

We have a bottle of polish vodka here @ 90 %... suppose depends on brand. Failing that... time to brew the poitin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I need positivity. So all those people who might have annoyed me a week ago, please post a list about why we will be fine.

wadacrack wrote: »
    That's an extremely narcissistic view of looking at it

That's the younger generation, of which I am one (born in late 80s). It's not our fault. We were brought up being told we could have anything we wanted in life and how we were the centre of the universe. We do care about others, but when push comes to shove it's all about us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Sore throat today, I have now become a fully fledged hypochondriac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

iguana wrote: »
    I wonder how Covid-19 affects obese/morbidly obese people. Some of the largest mortality rates seem to be in those with heart conditions and obesity/morbid obesity is very closely linked to heart failure.

Surely that's a given by defualt. Anyone over 20stone or whatever, will have a reduced life expectancy (-10/20yrs) right from the getgo regardless, even without the WuFlu. If the big singer Adele can loose 7st in 3mths, anyone can do it.
    Deaths were at least five times more common among people with diabetes, high blood pressure or heart or breathing problems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51674743
    Is anyone that smokes regular cigs still not considering giving up?
    Nico patches or even hypnosis mp3s should be a priority consideration for you. Vape things perhaps not as bad, but still not an ideal habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,877 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Strange to see the Iranian Mp die with all the resources he'd have had to survive. If he died
    anyone of us could.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

My 1918/19 figures of 2.6% relate to Ireland which indeed made it one of the less lethal places which were affected the Spanish flu. About 20% of the population here were infected.

We still have "no vaccines or antibiotics" or even antivirals for the present epidemic.

Many people who died of the Spansih Flu would not have died if vaccines and antibiotics had existed. Similar to the Coronavirus, the high mortality rate would have been because of preexisting health problems. Healthy people are much more likely to survive. Which is why vaccines and antibiotics are so important.

Was always interested how smokers were never shamed anywhere near as much as overweight people. It's not as easy to lecture smokers and feel superior. Anyway...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I imagine the virus has a lower fatility rate than 2 percent as most people seem to be unaffected.

Not that a virus thinks, but it is not in its best interest to kill the host.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

some people cant live their lives and need paranoia it seems or are natural at that, like crap with anti waxxer morons, if this has higher rater mortality of flu i can live with that, its here already more or less, few wans saying they will prepare makes me laugh, if it spreads will be more of natural selection.

but back to reality, the actual numbers are barely above 3 thousand dead world wide, if it was as bad as some make it to be, that number should have few more zeros, yet as time goes it seems slowed down.

theres prob more each day dying in china from air pollution and crap conditions and likes of Iran getting couple drone strikes wipes out more in a day, then this crap so far did in month or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,877 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement