Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

The only thing I'm suffering from is media fatigue over this. It's easing in China, and I guess we'll see a drop-off in Asia over the next two or three weeks. It'll follow on to Europe after that. By May or June we'll be fine with it, and a vaccine will be there anyway. Economy will have a jolt because of the scare and knock on effects, but this will settle down as well.

Thanks for the prediction future man. Good to know its all under control!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The only thing I'm suffering from is media fatigue over this. It's easing in China, and I guess we'll see a drop-off in Asia over the next two or three weeks. It'll follow on to Europe after that. By May or June we'll be fine with it, and a vaccine will be there anyway. Economy will have a jolt because of the scare and knock on effects, but this will settle down as well.

? It's 12-18mths (min) for a vax, and wave 2 (mutation) might just show up for Autumn (have a gawk at the Spanish Flu). DJIA has it's biggest drop this week since the 2008 crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Cupatae wrote: »
    infairness if you look at the numbers, you prob have a better chance of winning the lotto than getting covid here in ireland at the min. And even if you do the vast majority of cases will recover.

Its ok to be cautious but some people are over doing it.

100%. But people on here want the whole country to come to a standstill

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

100% agree people put children on antibiotics at the drop of a hat now a days, a sniffle and there at the doc, i think googling symptoms leads to overreaction alot of the time.

How did people ever get by back in the day!

'In my day', in a school year of 153 girls, we had one with asthma. One.

We used to pick chewing gum up off the road and eat it, because my mother wouldn't allow it in the house. I remember hands so dirty the muck on them would crack when you flexed your thumb.

No being followed around with anti-bacterial sprays in those days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

100%. But people on here want the whole country to come to a standstill

Nah, that's just your silly interpretation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,256 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The spanish flu was mild to start with, then it went away, then it came back in the autumn revived and virulent, and it was that episode that killed millions. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

? It's 12-18mths (min) for a vax, and wave 2 (mutation) might just show up for Autumn (have a gawk at the Spanish Flu). DJIA has it's biggest drop this week since the 2008 crash.

Do you think these cases where people are getting it a second time are mutations ? Definitely a women In Japan I think has it for the second time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

givyjoe wrote: »
    That's for the prediction future man. Good to know its all under control!

Thats prob not exciting enough a result for ya joe, imagine it pitters out and is a storm in a tea cup which tbh it most likely will. it has like a 2.% kill rate and most people recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

storm in a tea cup

You'd know all about that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

It'd ease in Ireland too if they shut down Dublin for 6 weeks and counting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

You'd know all about that :pac:

an expert :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

100% agree people put children on antibiotics at the drop of a hat now a days, a sniffle and there at the doc, i think googling symptoms leads to overreaction alot of the time.

How did people ever get by back in the day!

They didn't, they died of TB!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Drumpot wrote: »

If you like stats and figures this is a good video. Also some good general tips and advice at end. Below is my interpretation of what he said so watch it yourself and draw your own conclusions if you like.

Early detection appears to be very important for recovery. All “reported“ non critical Patients have survived thus far. He explains what non critical means. Critical patients 50/50 (5%) chance of surviving.

Methods of testing around the world not ideal or completely accurate but there are two potential positives. One is that there has supposedly been a better method invented that may be available soon. Two it also means that a lot of people who have the virus are not diagnosed , while that’s bad in itself, more people potentially infected through bad testing or no testing means that the death and critical rates are potentially far lower.

Put simple, if you know there are 150 people infected, 23 serious and 4 die, the percentages look pretty worrying. If 85% of people (low symptoms) are not being recorded in our 150 tested, it means that the death rate is 4 in 1000 , but we have only tested 150.

I want to stress this is my uneducated guesswork so as always don’t take a random stranger on the internets word for it!

The expert team from the World Health organization found that asymptomatic infection appears to be relatively rare.

So the present figures for mortality etc. can be accepted at face value.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Thats prob not exciting enough a result for ya joe, imagine it pitters out and is a storm in a tea cup which tbh it most likely will. it has like a 2.% kill rate and most people recover.

One lad predicted 45,000,000 deaths and people were fine to let it slide ;) Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

i pray the worst doesn't come to the worst with this virus!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Another case in South America with Ecuador reporting it's first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭billybonkers

3 more in the Uk

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

tillyfilly wrote: »
    storm Jorge is here!!

Tell me! I am out on an island and HOR HAY as they say it is pronounced is battering my roof and taking the base out of my insides as these fierce gales terrify me! Shudders!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

62 countries have now reported cases

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

The people telling others to calm down is fine, totally fine, good advice. But in the same sentence they then go on to say "it's only a "2% death rate you know" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Nah, that's just your silly interpretation

Read...the...thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

fr336 wrote: »
    The people telling others to calm down is fine, totally fine, good advice. But in the same sentence they then go on to say "it's only a "2% death rate you know" lol

So just 100000 in Ireland then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Exactly. Add to that the prevalence of touch screens everywhere, which are almost never disinfected. My friend went to the doctor's in London last week and was told to use a touch screen to check in for her appointment. So there's a global coronavirus pandemic, all this advice about hand gels, masks and staying at home when possible, and someone just trying to see their GP to get some medication is forced to touch a screen touched by God knows how many people with God knows what germs and viruses on their fingers?

It's just baffling, honestly.

I'd just use my sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

absolutely...this whole outbreak has shown me that very many people have pretty bad comprehension of statistics and maths

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I need positivity. So all those people who might have annoyed me a week ago, please post a list about why we will be fine.

Go to Gig and Events and join some of the music festival threads, some nice lineups been announced for Body&Soul Festival, Forbidden Fruit, Dun Laoghaire Harbour Festival and All Together Now. Looking at the lineups and the excitement for acts makes you look forward to the summer and I think it helps with taking a break from the Covid thread.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭scotchy

wakka12 wrote: »
    62 countries have now reported cases

Are we going to be the last man standing???

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    First case of community infection in the U.K. Not surprising really and how we in the Republic of Ireland haven't had a confirmed case yet is amazing.

I think there are cases here but for some reason it is being ignored or suppressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

What % of people will actually get it the virus? Less than 1%?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement