Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

I heard you've a high chance of getting the virus from having sex with a bat?

Thanks for this. Due to go to Frankfurt/Stuttgart next weekend. Hard to call. Don’t want to end up stranded over there.

The food would be a bit hard to take for over two weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

otnomart wrote: »

I understand that German medical data protection law makes reporting on cases more difficult than elsewhere.

Even with that, I was surprised to see more transparent coverage of some of the early German cases than the case of the person who landed in Dublin and travelled on to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

Titclamp wrote: »

A baseball or a cricket one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

i read the opposite
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/28/opinion/coronavirus-china.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Another three cases in UK. Total 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

List updated to fix some inaccuracies (Norway, France).

France: banning all indoor gatherings of 5000+ people;
    Germany: one affected town under quarantine (in NRW), cancellation of major trade fairs (ITB Berlin);
    Ireland: messages by various officials (news, interviews, LLS) to reassure the public;
    Italy: a number of affected towns under quarantine, accusations by some that it is damaging the country's reputation as a tourist destination;
    Spain: some major trade fairs cancelled;
    Switzerland: banning all gatherings/events of 1000+ people, recommending smaller gatherings to be cancelled;
    Norway: government health directorate preparing for a possible worst case scenario where up to 25% of the population could get infected. Preparing the health services.
    UK: Cabinet crisis meeting on Monday

Boggles wrote: »
    No they don't.

They are preparing for what they think will be the absolute worst case scenario.

Thanks. I have updated the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You'll be fine if it's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,877 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Gynoid wrote: »
    It does sound like they are making a good effort. But uncovered baked goods in shops at the best of times is one of life's most perplexing mysteries for me.

Exactly. Add to that the prevalence of touch screens everywhere, which are almost never disinfected. My friend went to the doctor's in London last week and was told to use a touch screen to check in for her appointment. So there's a global coronavirus pandemic, all this advice about hand gels, masks and staying at home when possible, and someone just trying to see their GP to get some medication is forced to touch a screen touched by God knows how many people with God knows what germs and viruses on their fingers?

It's just baffling, honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Is this business with the hand sanitizers running out a joke? Honestly can't tell.

I don’t think so. I haven’t ventured out but a friend just told me our local pharmacist said she was the first one not to ask for hand sanitiser and masks (and no, he has none left).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Boggles wrote: »
    No they don't.

They are preparing for what they think will be the absolute worst case scenario.
    Feck me B, we agree. I must be coming down with something. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I find videos from below good. It’s from Medcram which looks like a learning resource sharing site for medical professions in USA.

https://curious.com/medcram

If you like stats and figures this is a good video. Also some good general tips and advice at end. Below is my interpretation of what he said so watch it yourself and draw your own conclusions if you like.

Early detection appears to be very important for recovery. All “reported“ non critical Patients have survived thus far. He explains what non critical means. Critical patients 50/50 (5%) chance of surviving.

Methods of testing around the world not ideal or completely accurate but there are two potential positives. One is that there has supposedly been a better method invented that may be available soon. Two it also means that a lot of people who have the virus are not diagnosed , while that’s bad in itself, more people potentially infected through bad testing or no testing means that the death and critical rates are potentially far lower.

Put simple, if you know there are 150 people infected, 23 serious and 4 die, the percentages look pretty worrying. If 85% of people (low symptoms) are not being recorded in our 150 tested, it means that the death rate is 4 in 1000 , but we have only tested 150.

I want to stress this is my uneducated guesswork so as always don’t take a random stranger on the internets word for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SwordsRunner

The food would be a bit hard to take for over two weeks :D
    Well I shop in Aldi anyway so it’ll be grand.

It's really odd. In winters of 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 I picked up bad doses at work. In fact I think on both occasions it came again later on in the season. For 2019-2020 I've been absolutely fine so far, nothing. Scratching my head to see if I've been doing anything different this year in hygeine etc but I was always mega cautious anyway. Could be less stress I suppose. Sorry off topic thinking aloud

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Apparently, insurance won't pay out unless the DFA has advised people not to travel to an area.

It needs more reason than that. DFA would need to prohibit travel to an area for insurance to pay out.

The level of hygiene in Ireland isn’t always the best. The worst example I saw was one Christmas time in a pub in Walkinstown, Dublin, where one of the servers, on her way from kitchen to patron, stopped by the ladies toilet for nature’s call. She deftly supported with one hand a small round tray of cup of coffee and sandwiches, entered the cubicle, did her business, and emerged with tray still balanced on top of hand.l, then without visit to sink went out and placed food in patron’s table. I’m not joking, this really did happen, albeit about 13 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

We are only 467 beds short at present.

https://www.inmo.ie/Trolley_Ward_Watch

:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

jaysus if they tried that prank now they'd be killed!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

The level of hygiene in Ireland isn’t always the best. The worst example I saw was one Christmas time in a pub in Walkinstown, Dublin, where one of the servers, on her way from kitchen to patron, stopped by the ladies toilet for nature’s call. She deftly supported with one hand a small round tray of cup of coffee and sandwiches, entered the cubicle, did her business, and emerged with tray still balanced on top of hand.l, then without visit to sink went out and placed food in patron’s table. I’m not joking, this really did happen, albeit about 13 years ago.

and she then went to China and got a job in Wuhan in an animal market - we found patient 0.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »

Put simple, if you know there are 150 people infected, 23 serious and 4 die, the percentages look pretty worrying. If 85% of people (low symptoms) are not being recorded in our 150 tested, it means that the death rate is 4 in 1000 , but we have only tested 150.

I want to stress this is my uneducated guesswork so as always don’t take a random stranger on the internets word for it!

Yes the stats hopefully developing is pretty much the only thing keeping me going. There must surely be a lot of people who never go near a hospital or even call up a GP with this. They'll think it's so mild it can't be Coronavirus. Once this is happening the connection between cases and death rates looks a lot more favourable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

We are only 467 beds short at present.

https://www.inmo.ie/Trolley_Ward_Watch

:-(

Crazy part is if you forced all the people who abandon their elderly parents in hospitals all around the country you’d free up hundreds of beds. People do this as they can’t afford nursing homes. It’s rife throughout the entire system an it’s never addressed.

It needs more reason than that. DFA would need to prohibit travel to an area for insurance to pay out.

It is a very good idea for anybody travelling to register their trip here on the DFA website:

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/citizens-registration/

This way, if there is any adverse occurrence, you will receive a text message which first advises that something has happened in your region, then asks if you are ok in the circumstance, and you send a response text to either verify all is ok or that you may need assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/coronavirus-four-new-cases-confirmed-all-linked-to-wizlearn-technologies-cluster-three?cx_testId=20&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

Singapore 4 new cases, total 102. 72 cases have fully recovered from the infection and have been discharged. Of the 30 confirmed cases still in hospital, most are stable while seven are in critical condition. To date, 3,033 close contacts have been quarantined, with 269 still serving it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

By this logic we may as well dispense with aul scaremongering seatbelts, natural selection and all that. Air travel is incredibly safe today, but sure why did we ever bother with over-the-top air accident investigations, sure it’d be grand as it was in the 1950s.

infairness if you look at the numbers, you prob have a better chance of winning the lotto than getting covid here in ireland at the min. And even if you do the vast majority of cases will recover.

Its ok to be cautious but some people are over doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,979 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The level of hygiene in Ireland isn’t always the best.
    Maybe, but at the other extreme there are the clean freaks and germophobes. Now I get that if you're chronically ill, or immune suppressed, but if you're neither more exposure to pathogens is better for you. Going around doused in dettol and necking antibiotics for every little sniffle, especially from childhood, is a recipe for sickly adults and a host of allergies.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

The only thing I'm suffering from is media fatigue over this. It's easing in China, and I guess we'll see a drop-off in Asia over the next two or three weeks. It'll follow on to Europe after that. By May or June we'll be fine with it, and a vaccine will be there anyway. Economy will have a jolt because of the scare and knock on effects, but this will settle down as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Wibbs wrote: »
    Maybe, but at the other extreme there are the clean freaks and germophobes. Now I get that if you're chronically ill, or immune suppressed, but if you're neither more exposure to pathogens is better for you. Going around doused in dettol and necking antibiotics for every little sniffle, especially from childhood, is a recipe for sickly adults and a host of allergies.

100% agree people put children on antibiotics at the drop of a hat now a days, a sniffle and there at the doc, i think googling symptoms leads to overreaction alot of the time.

How did people ever get by back in the day!

• Advertisement

Exactly. Add to that the prevalence of touch screens everywhere, which are almost never disinfected. My friend went to the doctor's in London last week and was told to use a touch screen to check in for her appointment. So there's a global coronavirus pandemic, all this advice about hand gels, masks and staying at home when possible, and someone just trying to see their GP to get some medication is forced to touch a screen touched by God knows how many people with God knows what germs and viruses on their fingers?

It's just baffling, honestly.

Have you noticed the amount of changes we see in society whether it's from government or business that isn't really necessary but is probably cheap enough and looks like they're doing something, whether that's governments looking after their people or businesses giving you a good deal? Touch screens in GP surgeries is a great example - pretty pointless as all it's doing is making it a tiny bit more "convenient" when you walk in for your appointment or otherwise shock horror might have to queue up for 5 minutes! And as you say completely counterproductive as it's extremely unhygenic - the very worst place you could have a touch screen is a GP surgery! But hey someone somewhere probably got a pat on the back and a promotion out of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement