Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Absoloute joke. Reactionary OTT Ireland at its finest.
    Absolute nonsense of the highest order ruining the 6 nations and ruining a weekends for loads of people for nothing.

Presumably you both have massive qualifications / credentials in the field of virology to explain why the advice from the World Health Organiziation, the European Centre for Disease Control and the National Public Health Emergency Team should be ignored?

Play it behind closed doors?

aloooof wrote: »
    Presumably you both have massive qualifications / credentials in the field of virology to explain why the advice from the World Health Organiziation, the European Centre for Disease Control and the National Public Health Emergency Team should be ignored?

UEFA appear to be happy to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

Munster game went ahead in Parma friday night.
    Parma (Soccer) play next game behind closed doors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭irelandrover

UEFA appear to be happy to ignore it.

Has any government where there's a UEFA match advised them to cancel the match.

• Advertisement

Has any government where there's a UEFA match advised them to cancel the match.

Well why wouldn’t they be advising them if they are as worried as is made out?

The Juventus match tonight is no less risky than the rugby in two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Play it behind closed doors?

I thought the same.

Can imagine an Italian makes a break, sees that he's going to be caught by the covering defender, breaks into a coughing fit, defender slows down.

Or at lineout time, Hooker stares the defensive jumper in the eye and slowly licks the ball.

Well why wouldn’t they be advising them if they are as worried as is made out?

The Juventus match tonight is no less risky than the rugby in two weeks.

How do you know this is true? Again, if you can let us know your virology credentials, this opinion might have more weight.

As an aside, Turin appears to be outside the higher risk areas versus, say, Treviso.

V3k0TPf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

How do you know this is true? Again, if you can let us know your virology credentials, this opinion might have more weight.

As an aside, Turin appears to be outside the higher risk areas versus, say, Treviso.

V3k0TPf

Turin in still in the at risk zone and their home match on Sunday has to be played behind closed doors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There'll be more matches called off imo. Don't think it's OTT to postpone these events at all tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There'll be more matches called off imo. Don't think it's OTT to postpone these events at all tbh.

Talk of Cheltenham being called off potentially.

People talk about business losses etc, I can guarantee you there'll be no bigger losses than the bookies and the pubs if that's the case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Surely this then means Italy v England on the last day is also a goner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

thelad95 wrote: »

Of course

Just not announced

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The Scots aren't considering any cancellations yet.

https://twitter.com/SDM_Robertson/status/1232702556511637504

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

My understanding is that, while the fatality rate for SARS is higher, the coroanvirus is far more contagious, and that's the bigger issue. From here, over a week ago:

I thought this tweet from the other day was interesting:

https://twitter.com/nj_joel/status/1231567911241666562?s=12

It's comparing apples and oranges though. Ebola is a haemorrhagic virus not a corona virus. It is now thought that the Black Death was caused by such a virus not bubonic plague....it killed 60% of the Population of Europe...then 50,000,000 died.

Interestingly there may now be an effectice vaccine on the way against Ebola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The Scots aren't considering any cancellations yet.

https://twitter.com/SDM_Robertson/status/1232702556511637504

The same Scottish who complained about a hurricane would stop their game:P:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

thelad95 wrote: »

Presumably Ireland v France on the 14th will be cancelled. Two dead in Paris (so far) from COVID-19. People in Paris wearing face masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

V3k0TPf

It's the exact same scenario. What do credentials have anything to do with it?

If we're going with this apporach then I want all incoming flghts stoped immediately. St Patricks "festival" cancelled. All gatherings of over 1,000 people banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Slasher wrote: »

Presumably Ireland v France on the 14th will be cancelled. Two dead in Paris (so far) from COVID-19. People in Paris wearing face masks.

Have the tickets for the game and the trip to Paris booked for awhile now so watching this situation carefully. We are also planning to spend the rest of the week in France and travel to the Alps.

No panic or drastic decisions yet but keeping an eye and seeing if there's a notable spread in the affected areas as has happened in Italy - Lombardy, Milan etc. Will make an informed decision (or as well informed as you can be right now).

Anyone else in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

If we're going with this apporach then I want all incoming flghts stoped immediately. St Patricks "festival" cancelled. All gatherings of over 1,000 people banned.

You cant just ban flights on a whim. Would likely need to have justification to do so from WHO and agreed with EU countries, airlines etc. St Patrick's Day Parades could well be cancelled between now and then. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

moritz1234 wrote: »
    Munster game went ahead in Parma friday night.
    Parma (Soccer) play next game behind closed doors

Not a big enough crowd to be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Correct decision, just handled very poorly by Simon Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Nermal

Yes. If flights are still on, I'll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Why 1,000?

What do credentials have anything to do with it?

That's a phenomenal sentence. Why listen to experts when we can listen to.... randommers on the internet??

I'll have to think about that one. Think about it deeply.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

stephen_n wrote: »

How was it handled poorly by Harris. In my opinion the rugby heads were poor. Sulked a bit but realised it was right to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

How was it handled poorly by Harris. In my opinion the rugby heads were poor. Sulked a bit but realised it was right to do

If you are, as minister for health, going to announce an event is cancelled, you surely would discuss it with the organisation running it. Not announce it on 6one news.

It was amature stuff frrom harris, and typically FG in its arrogance

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭fitz

stephen_n wrote: »

I've no problem with the matches being pulled, but I think it's frankly ridiculous that there are no travel restrictions being enforced. People were criticising the IRFU for being greedy, but I don't see any reason for reasonable travel restrictions other than financial cost... Somewhere in all this, the risk to public health is being weighed against the disruption and cost of travel restrictions, and being judged as not significant enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Charlie 22

Have the tickets for the game and the trip to Paris booked for awhile now so watching this situation carefully. We are also planning to spend the rest of the week in France and travel to the Alps.

No panic or drastic decisions yet but keeping an eye and seeing if there's a notable spread in the affected areas as has happened in Italy - Lombardy, Milan etc. Will make an informed decision (or as well informed as you can be right now).

Yup same situation and a gift too. Will go unless the flights are cancelled. Perhaps the sightseeing will be easier if things are locked down a bit but would feel guilty to bring it back but also guilty because it was a gift if I didn't go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

tototoe wrote: »
    If you are, as minister for health, going to announce an event is cancelled, you surely would discuss it with the organisation running it. Not announce it on 6one news.

I'm happy enough to take him at his word that he left the meeting about the issue shortly before being on the news and tried and failed to get in contact. He was obviously going to be asked about it on air and was at that stage a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement