Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Some people really want to use this to throw shade at either the IRFU or the Government. I really don't think there is more to it than that.

Coronavirus is going to be everywhere and probably is vastly more prevalent than we think. What I imagine the government are doing is slowing the spread or at least keeping it staggered by avoiding large events. If a million people are going to become infected, it's better that it's gradual rather than sudden spikes.

Not sure closing borders makes any sense at this point. Could see the Brits doing it but I doubt EU countries will.

This.

The cat's out of the bag, it will soon be everywhere. The main issue facing the Irish health service will be finding the required number of ICU beds, and the longer they can draw out this demand by cancelling large crowd events, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Neil3030 wrote: »
    This.

The cat's out of the bag, it will soon be everywhere. The main issue facing the Irish health service will be finding the required number of ICU beds, and the longer they can draw out this demand by cancelling large crowd events, the better.

If the talk about postponing the Tokyo Olympics is already starting then the Paddys day stuff should be canned now and flights cancelled. Its literally the single biggest large scale event in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Jucwntus fans are not confined to Turin. They have a huge following all over Italy
    As likely to have fans in Milan as Man United to have fans in Liverpool. ;)

But again, affected areas in Lombardy are in lockdown.
    Residents are allowed to manoeuvre within the “red zone”, for example going from one quarantined town to another to reach a supermarket that is permitted to stay open, but they are not allowed to leave the quarantined territory. People are also banned from entering the area, with transgressors facing fines, unless they are health workers or those delivering essential supplies.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,228 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

prawnsambo wrote: »
    As likely to have fans in Milan as Man United to have fans in Liverpool. ;)

But again, affected areas in Lombardy are in lockdown.

Hang on

If residents in the affected areas are in lock down... How would they be travelling for the game?

If the England v Italy game goes ahead in Rome it will make a sham of this decision

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Hang on

If residents in the affected areas are in lock down... How would they be travelling for the game?

If the England v Italy game goes ahead in Rome it will make a sham of this decision

I would say they will be praying in Dublin that Italy v England is called off.

In fairness I'd be pretty surprised if it isn't.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    I would say they will be praying in Dublin that Italy v England is called off.

In fairness I'd be pretty surprised if it isn't.

I would too, but they would want to be making a decision on it pretty soon

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Hang on

I would assume that at this early stage, they can't be in any way sure that it hasn't escaped the lockdown zones. Like the Italian doctor who ended up in that hotel in Tenerife.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It's a rugby match.

People are dying.

I'd have thought that one of these was far more important than the other. But it seems not.

This is so needlessly dramatic. Could say this on any day about any event. Really adds nothing to the discussion.

AdamD wrote: »
    This is so needlessly dramatic. Could say this on any day about any event. Really adds nothing to the discussion.

This could be one of those posts that really doesnt age well at all.

We're a day or so away from the numbers of dead sailing passed the numbers killed on 9/11 and the numbers of infected and dead will most likely increase exponentially in the coming weeks.

My wife works in front line healthcare so absolutely every little risk reduction is very welcome from my perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

15 cases now in the UK.

England going to Rome will hardly go ahead now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Robbed from the Guardian, posted two hours ago:

Mainland China: 2,744 deaths among 78,497 cases, mostly in the central province of Hubei
    Hong Kong: 81 cases, 2 deaths
    Macao: 10 cases
    South Korea: 1,595 cases, 13 deaths
    Japan: 894 cases, including 705 from the Diamond Princess cruise ship, 7 deaths
    Italy: 447 cases, 12 deaths
    Iran: 139 cases, 19 deaths
    Singapore: 93
    United States: 60
    Thailand: 40
    Taiwan: 32 cases, 1 death
    Bahrain: 33
    Australia: 23
    Malaysia: 22
    Kuwait: 26
    France: 17 cases, 2 deaths
    Germany: 21
    Vietnam: 16
    United Arab Emirates: 13
    United Kingdom: 13
    Spain: 12
    Canada: 12
    Russia: 5
    Iraq: 6
    Oman: 4
    Philippines: 3 cases, 1 death
    India: 3
    Croatia: 3
    Israel: 2
    Pakistan: 2
    Finland: 2
    Austria: 2
    Lebanon: 2
    Egypt: 1
    Algeria: 1
    Afghanistan: 1
    Greece: 1
    North Macedonia: 1
    Georgia: 1
    Estonia: 1
    Belgium: 1
    Romania: 1
    Nepal: 1
    Sri Lanka: 1
    Cambodia: 1
    Sweden: 2
    Norway: 1
    Denmark: 1
    Switzerland: 1
    Brazil 1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

15 cases now in the UK.

England going to Rome will hardly go ahead now?

It is now highly likely it is in Ireland. The lag time between those cases arriving and being announced is too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Really exploding in Iran. I'm not familiar with the quality of the health system or whether there are social factors which are playing a part but the death rate there is running at almost 14% currently. The country is going into quarantine and Qatar has ordered the evacuation of its citizens from Iran.

Actually, now being reported that 22 are dead in some media outlets.

This could be one of those posts that really doesnt age well at all.

We're a day or so away from the numbers of dead sailing passed the numbers killed on 9/11 and the numbers of infected and dead will most likely increase exponentially in the coming weeks.

My wife works in front line healthcare so absolutely every little risk reduction is very welcome from my perspective.

I'm merely saying your post shuts down discussion. Is not as simple as people are dying - cancel match.

People were asking further questions - why cancel this but not flights? Do we cancel other events? Where do you start and where do you stop?

Questions can be asked and discussed without going straight for the people are dying angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Robbed from the Guardian, posted two hours ago:

Mainland China: 2,744 deaths among 78,497 cases, mostly in the central province of Hubei
    Hong Kong: 81 cases, 2 deaths
    Macao: 10 cases
    South Korea: 1,595 cases, 13 deaths
    Japan: 894 cases, including 705 from the Diamond Princess cruise ship, 7 deaths
    Italy: 447 cases, 12 deaths
    Iran: 139 cases, 19 deaths
    Singapore: 93
    United States: 60
    Thailand: 40
    Taiwan: 32 cases, 1 death
    Bahrain: 33
    Australia: 23
    Malaysia: 22
    Kuwait: 26
    France: 17 cases, 2 deaths
    Germany: 21
    Vietnam: 16
    United Arab Emirates: 13
    United Kingdom: 13
    Spain: 12
    Canada: 12
    Russia: 5
    Iraq: 6
    Oman: 4
    Philippines: 3 cases, 1 death
    India: 3
    Croatia: 3
    Israel: 2
    Pakistan: 2
    Finland: 2
    Austria: 2
    Lebanon: 2
    Egypt: 1
    Algeria: 1
    Afghanistan: 1
    Greece: 1
    North Macedonia: 1
    Georgia: 1
    Estonia: 1
    Belgium: 1
    Romania: 1
    Nepal: 1
    Sri Lanka: 1
    Cambodia: 1
    Sweden: 2
    Norway: 1
    Denmark: 1
    Switzerland: 1
    Brazil 1

So the number of cases in all countries is less than .001% of the populations?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah, I'd be taking serious steps at this stage. Ireland could well be fortunate enough to avoid a serious outbreak this year (for geographic reasons) - if we can get to the spring time with only a few hundred cases. If a vaccination rolls out over the next 8 months (very optimistic) we could possibly sort ourselves out before next year's flu season.

This won't kill you. This might kill your grandparents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'm merely saying your post shuts down discussion. Is not as simple as people are dying - cancel match.

People were asking further questions - why cancel this but not flights? Do we cancel other events? Where do you start and where do you stop?

Questions can be asked and discussed without going straight for the people are dying angle.

If there was an ideal way to spread the virus it would be to take thousands of people from the affected part of Italy, have them mix with thousands of Irish over a few hours, and then disperse those Irish all across Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Buer wrote: »
    Really exploding in Iran. I'm not familiar with the quality of the health system or whether there are social factors which are playing a part but the death rate there is running at almost 14% currently. The country is going into quarantine and Qatar has ordered the evacuation of its citizens from Iran.

Sounds like a great way to spread it to Qatar

If there was an ideal way to spread the virus it would be to take thousands of people from the affected part of Italy, have them mix with thousands of Irish over a few hours, and then disperse those Irish all across Ireland.

As opposed to a full schedule of Serie A games followed by Serie A teams playing in the CL and EL across Europe (Juve played away to Lyon last night, not cancelled), and the teams playing against them playing full domestic schedules?

The people at these games are also free to fly all over Europe (including Ireland). It just seems odd that we've decided to draw the line (and seemingly the only thing we've done in Ireland?) at this one rugby game.

I'm not neccesarily saying its right or wrong but you can see why the IRFU asked for clarification.

Seems to be particularly fatal to people of Asian extract... South Korea, Japan and Singapore have very high mortality rates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,695 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Well when its specifically a contagious virus with no vaccine in sight for a year to a year and a half its really not. It's not some abstract people die every day comment. Its specially as a result of this illness and it might be ok for healthy people but better to prevent it as much as possible to prevent elderly, people with suppressed immune systems etc getting it. Also health service struggles at best of time, no point over loading it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

errlloyd wrote: »

This won't kill you. This might kill your grandparents.

And my 70 year old father and my 67 year old mother are presently getting ready to leave Australia for Singapore for 5 days. My brother (who they are staying with in Australia) has told them to change their flights and stay another week with him. I'm blue in the face telling them the same, but no "it's fine as long as you wash your hands".

According to a consultant I know the cases we know about are the tip of the iceberg and the spread is much more significant.

We've virtually no spare ICU beds and even younger people can require breathing support if they react badly to the virus. We could be in for weeks of social destabilisation.

mfceiling wrote: »
    And my 70 year old father and my 67 year old mother are presently getting ready to leave Australia for Singapore for 5 days. My brother (who they are staying with in Australia) has told them to change their flights and stay another week with him. I'm blue in the face telling them the same, but no "it's fine as long as you wash your hands".

They might not be able to leave Singapore.

As opposed to a full schedule of Serie A games followed by Serie A teams playing in the CL and EL across Europe (Juve played away to Lyon last night, not cancelled), and the teams playing against them playing full domestic schedules?

The people at these games are also free to fly all over Europe (including Ireland). It just seems odd that we've decided to draw the line (and seemingly the only thing we've done in Ireland?) at this one rugby game.

I'm not neccesarily saying its right or wrong but you can see why the IRFU asked for clarification.

You're right. Those football matched should have been cancelled too.

I've yet to hear anything about the Italy game being played behind closed doors. No point since it's all about the ticket sales money?

According to a consultant I know the cases we know about are the tip of the iceberg and the spread is much more significant.

We've virtually no spare ICU beds and even younger people can require breathing support if they react badly to the virus. We could be in for weeks of social destabilisation.
    Just curious as to how he knows about what we don't know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

The hse has sourced extra ventilators weeks ago to allow for this.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Just curious as to how he knows about what we don't know about?

I don't know. Some projections are worse than others and the level of control of the situation is fluid and changing every minute. There are too many variables and I'd imagine the WHO / goverment response is measured to not cause panic either.

• Advertisement

I don't know. Some projections are worse than others and the level of control of the situation is fluid and changing every minute. There are too many variables and I'd imagine the WHO / goverment response is measured to not cause panic either.
    Well since we've had very little experience of dealing with epidemics of this nature and the WHO and the CDC do, I'd expect them to have both a better grasp of the risks/modelling and the best mitigants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement