Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Who do you think the Government should have told as soon as they were advised to cancel the event:

A) The IRFU

or

B) Taxpayers?

It’s not up to the government to cancel events that they are not running. The match isn’t on this weekend, it’s on Saturday week. The government priority should not be a game in 12 days, but the people who Have, are currently And plan to travel from the infected regions to here.

Harris is doing a sexton on it and taking his eye off the ball.

If there is a risk of infection on these shores then they should implement a Travel ban, and give guidelines on large scale gatherings. It is up to the organisers to then cancel events Themselves according to government guidelines and Department of Health information.

If there is a refusal to cancel events deemed dangerous to public health then they can act.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Ah yeah, that's clearly the aim. And it's fair enough. But there are other options available to them and that's why a discussion with the IRFU and the other stakeholders would have been desirable.

Yeah think IRFU should have been notified first just out of common courtesy. Not sure why he announced it without doing that.

Leinster bias again.
    Having a Wicklovian as Minister of Health is biting us in the ass.
    Now, Micheal Martin, there's a Minister of Health you can set your watch to.

---

But seriously, calling the game off this far out with no consultation was a bit silly.

It should be cancelled, but by all stakeholders at a joint presser. This way looks a bit bush league.

Ironically you picked mehole Martin who is from the same place as Harris. And CJ for that matter.

Just to be clear.
    If the government doesn’t see travel from Italy as being a problem that needs addressing then they can’t have an issue with this game going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Eod100 wrote: »
    Issue being discussed on RTE now, apparently 5000 Italian fans were due to travel. Guess a lot of it is convergence of fans in one location and trying to mitigate risk. Not going to shut down borders anytime soon so just trying to manage as best they can

How many of those 5,000 would be coming from a region put in lockdown for 2 weeks by the Italian state ?

right now the Corona-virus is all a bit unknown, certainly hate to see a lockdown situation in Ireland, so whatever it takes to reduce such a risk, seams reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭OldRio

Who do you think the Government should have told as soon as they were advised to cancel the event:

A) The IRFU

or

B) Taxpayers?

What on earth?

thebaz wrote: »
    How many of those 5,000 would be coming from a region put in lockdown for 2 weeks by the Italian state ?

right now the Corona-virus is all a bit unknown, certainly hate to see a lockdown situation in Ireland, so whatever it takes to reduce such a risk, seams reasonable.

No idea but guess issue is that people could travel from other parts who may have it without realising. I think better safe than sorry in this situation. The cons outweigh the pros. The game is still going to go ahead at some stage. 3 games were moved for foot and mouth in 2001. It's a fairly rare situation but I think public health has to come before a game. And I did question it when decision was first out but think there would be uproar if even a single person of 45,000 became affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ironically you picked mehole Martin who is from the same place as Harris. And CJ for that matter.

Since when is Turner's Cross the same place as Greystones :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Treviso is where a lot of fans would be travelling from, its right in the middle of the Veneto region which is one of the zones affected.

Cj
    Martin
    Harris the bluffer

All from greater douglas area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Jizique

He might mean Eoin Harris

The infections in Tenerife make it pretty clear that a Travel ban on Italian travel is pretty necessary, and possibly already to late to be effective.

A game Saturday week should not be the focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Micheál Martin is from Cork.
    Simon Harris is from Wicklow.
    CJ Haughey was born in Mayo of a Derry father and mother, and for all intents and purposes, despite his ownership of a Kerry island and how most claimed him as their own (for some unknown reason), and the fact that he spent his youth and most of his life in Dublin, was a Dub.

So, what are you spouting on about?

Jizique wrote: »
    He might mean Eoin Harris

No one should ever "mean" Eoghan Harris. The clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Micheál Martin is from Cork.
    Simon Harris is from Wicklow.
    CJ Haughey was born in Mayo of a Derry father and mother, and for all intents and purposes, despite his ownership of a Kerry island and how most claimed him as their own (for some unknown reason), and the fact that he spent his youth and most of his life in Dublin, was a Dub.

So, what are you spouting on about?

Best not to respond

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Best not to respond

I was trying to be glib with my "Leinster-bias" post. We all know Lar's penchant for screaming it.

But I got further confused thereafter. CJ Cregg maybe?

Best not to respond

Best is from Ulster somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Simon Harris is going to meet with the IRFU in the morning. He's going to great lengths to get a ticket for the match, it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

A) The IRFU

or

B) Taxpayers?

I'm going to have to go with A) The IRFU. Where do I collect my prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Simon Harris is going to meet with the IRFU in the morning. He's going to great lengths to get a ticket for the match, it must be said.

Most elaborate plan to get a ticket ever! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm going to have to go with A) The IRFU. Where do I collect my prize?

Its a weekend in Milan, start packing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Some real silly comments on here

First complaining about Harris when all he is doing is his job. It's not his fault the virus is around and 100% agree all non essential travel should be restricted. Especially to a country with a large outbreak

Then the comments about why the game should be cancelled. Its a game of rugby, that is all it is. Cancel the bloody thing, if one person got sick because of the game then its 1 too many, if one person died then it is a disgrace.

Its very stupid to say "ahh well why are people still flying in from Italy". Of course flights are coming in, but how many people are on that flight compared to what it would be normally? just look at the share price of airline companies.

If the outbreaks continue I think the whole tournament could be shut down in the next week and to be honest, I love rugby but it makes perfect sense. Especially when you see the videos coming out of china

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

First complaining about Harris when all he is doing is his job. It's not his fault the virus is around and 100% agree all non essential travel should be restricted. Especially to a country with a large outbreak
    Did you miss the complaints about him announcing this without discussing it with the stakeholders first? Listening to the radio this morning, it's not a unique criticism. And as I pointed out, it's not just the IRFU that are involved. They're not even the tournament organisers. And *to* a country? They're coming here. Which is a lot easier to control. The country concerned is already curtailing travel in the affected areas.

Edit: There are at least four flights a day coming into Dublin from Milan alone.

Then the comments about why the game should be cancelled. Its a game of rugby, that is all it is. Cancel the bloody thing, if one person got sick because of the game then its 1 too many, if one person died then it is a disgrace.

Its very stupid to say "ahh well why are people still flying in from Italy". Of course flights are coming in, but how many people are on that flight compared to what it would be normally? just look at the share price of airline companies.

If the outbreaks continue I think the whole tournament could be shut down in the next week and to be honest, I love rugby but it makes perfect sense. Especially when you see the videos coming out of china

What’s an airlines share price got to do with stopping a deadly Virus from Spreading?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭fitz

Of course public health is the priority, and of course it makes sense to cancel the game if there's risk of exposure.

My point earlier was that the Harris' statement that this game should be cancelled, in the absence of any actual risk mitigation against the thousands of people flying in and out of Italy this week, does not constitute an effective control. It's good intentions... Without actual enforcement of travel restrictions, cancelling the game is just safety theatre.

If the government are concerned about exposure, they should implement travel restrictions on anyone who's been in an affected region. Anything other than that isn't really a serious policy. Harris' comments about"free movement" on OTB were ridiculous, wtf does economic free movement have to do with whether to put public health based travel restrictions in place?

Wonder are u20s and womens games going to be cancelled too? Guess a few over for the mens game might have headed to them too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Eod100 wrote: »
    Wonder are u20s and womens games going to be cancelled too? Guess a few over for the mens game might have headed to them too

Yes it applies to those games 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

awec wrote: »
    I should probably infract myself.

Don't forget to use lube.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Hurrache wrote: »
    On the plus side, cities will be much more pleasant if Paddies day is affected similarly.

What a bonus for the environment. All that Plastic Paddywhackery saved.:D

• Advertisement

It’s a compete overreaction, absolute madness cancelling the game and just hope the IRFU ignore him.

Also most people will still come over for the game imo. I have some friends coming from Italy for it, they will still be coming for we will be spending a weekend on the beer in Dublin instead and I would imagine it will be the same for most people with tickets and hotels booked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement