Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It’s a compete overreaction, absolute madness cancelling the game and just hope the IRFU ignore him.

Also most people will still come over for the game imo. I had some friends coming from Italy for it, they will still be coming for a weekend on the beer in Dublin and I would imagine it will be the same for most people with tickets and hotels booked.
    I don't think they should ignore the advice per se. But discussing the alternatives should at least be allowed. And as you say, people will travel anyway. Even people without tickets for the game travel over. A six nations weekend in Dublin (or wherever) is always popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Just shows the negative attitude of the top brass of the irfu.. it's the financial loss is definitely their top priority..f..k the mass income of people from italy..
    Does it actually have to be now spelt out to the irfu fat cats as to why their priceless Rigby game should be cancelled... pure greed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

typhoony wrote: »
    so how many Italians are flying into Ireland in the next four weeks outside of the 6 nations match, are they cancelling all flights in and out of Italy with immediate effect?
    fitz wrote: »
    What if the people who have booked flights and accommodation decide to come anyway for a weekend in the town? Cancelling the event provides no measurable guarantee of the outcome they are aiming for, as it's not actual enforcing any control against the risk.
    This is risk manager theatre, not actual risk management.

I suppose that if the game is off at least this stops a mass gathering of tens of thousands in close proximity to each other where the spread might be more likely. Three more countries have their first cases today and they are all linked to Italy. As was pointed out, 'planes are really incubators and disease spreaders. The game could be played behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Would they consider playing it behind closed doors and just televising it? I know it's tough on fans who have tickets and there'd be no atmosphere but they'd still get the tv revenue and the tournament could go ahead.

It wouldn't be too hard to screen the 40 or so people that the italian team travel with. (27 players, 4 coaches, kit man, doctor, physio, two plumbers, their princess, a chef, Silvio Burlesconi(he heard the word "hookers) & a pope)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

It’s a compete overreaction, absolute madness cancelling the game and just hope the IRFU ignore him.

Also most people will still come over for the game imo. I had some friends coming from Italy for it, they will still be coming for a weekend on the beer in Dublin and I would imagine it will be the same for most people with tickets and hotels booked.

Would you still say that if even one person became infected by it as a result? Cant even trace where first person in Italy got it from. IRFU would be mad to ignore. Could open them up to liability if people infected as a result

• Advertisement

jacothelad wrote: »
    I suppose that if the game is off at least this stops a mass gathering of tens of thousands in close proximity to each other where the spread might be more likely. Three more countries have their first cases today and they are all linked to Italy. As was pointed out, 'planes are really incubators and disease spreaders. The game could be played behind closed doors.
    Yeah, that's the problem. You can mitigate against it though. There are travel restrictions in place in the affected areas in Italy. A friend of mine lives in one of them. And it's not even in Lombardy and hasn't been listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Massive overreaction. Are there flights coming in from italy today?

If yes then its complete bollocks. They won't ban flights from italy because it would be such an obvious overreaction.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭fitz

jacothelad wrote: »

Yeah, but that's an argument for travel restrictions to and from Italy, not for cancelling the game. Stop it at source. How many would be exposed by those who travel over anyway for a weekend in the lash, spending time in various pubs, restaurants and cafes, never mind the airport and the plane itself.

If there's enough concern about the risk to public health to warrent cancelling the game, why is it still ok to keep letting thousands of people a week travel to and from the affected region unrestricted?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

If yes then its complete bollocks. They won't ban flights from italy because it would be such an obvious overreaction.

The match was scheduled for Saturday week. Or do you mean in general?

aloooof wrote: »
    The match was scheduled for Saturday week. Or do you mean in general?

Ah sorry, I didn't realise the disease was only active on that day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ah sorry, I didn't realise the disease was only active on that day.

:rolleyes: Not at all what I meant....

WHO haven't recommend banning travel. Issue is mass gatherings so things like 6N and Paddys Day. Better to err on side of caution with these things. Its only a game at end of day

Eod100 wrote: »
    WHO haven't recommend banning travel. Issue is mass gatherings so things like 6N and Paddys Day. Better to err on side of caution with these things. Its only a game at end of day

So mass gatherings of hundreds of people from affected countries in enclosed tube is ok?

Are we going to ban every mass gathering in the country now? All sports, concerts, cinema etc?

Serie A games are still largely going ahead with only games located within a few regions being cancelled.

So mass gatherings of hundreds of people from affected countries in enclosed tube is ok?

Are we going to ban every mass gathering in the country now? All sports, concerts, cinema etc?

Serie A games are still largely going ahead with only games located within a few regions being cancelled.

Q1. At moment, no but that could change. Q2. If enough people from affected areas are attending then likely yes will be reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Just shows the negative attitude of the top brass of the irfu.. it's the financial loss is definitely their top priority..f..k the mass income of people from italy..
    Does it actually have to be now spelt out to the irfu fat cats as to why their priceless Rigby game should be cancelled... pure greed

If the game is called off, there is nothing to say the Italians who have booked flights and hotels won’t travel anyway. There is no travel ban in place and absolutely nothing stopping them coming. The majority of them will probably still travel as they would lose the money on their flights if they don’t. So you can take your obvious little chip against “rigby” and go put some salt on it.

• Site Banned Posts: 23 Mr Flicky

Well at least we may see the untouchables dropped for a real game ie v France as opposed to a meaningless one v Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Can we kick Italy out of the 6 Nations now? :D

Eod100 wrote: »
    Would you still say that if even one person became infected by it as a result? Cant even trace where first person in Italy got it from. IRFU would be mad to ignore. Could open them up to liability if people infected as a result

1000 people die of normal flu in Ireland per year, do we go into lock down and cancel sporting events during flu season every year?

If the match is on I’m going, and I’ll spend my weekend in Dublin on the beer with a crowd of Italians. If the match isn’t on I’ll spend the weekend on the beer with a crowd of Italians in Dublin. So it makes 2 hours of a difference. This is going to be the same across the board,
    What difference will it make only miss out on watching the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

Not sure why people are questioning anything happening atm, the government are following the WHO guidelines(literally the experts on this) for this disease and the IRFU have already said they will take advice given by the government.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think that we need to look and ask what the government policy is.

If banning travel from Italy or banning mass gatherings was considered I would consider both reasonable steps. However cancelling a match but having 5,000 (for example) Italian people coming into Dublin is not making things any better.

• Advertisement

THFC198 wrote: »
    Not sure why people are questioning anything happening atm, the government are following the WHO guidelines(literally the experts on this) for this disease and the IRFU have already said they will take advice given by the government.

WEDNESDAY 26TH FEBRUARY 2020
    Lyon
    20:00
    Juventus

Real Madrid
    20:00
    Man City

Both games going ahead tonight. Madrid has cases of the disease and Juventus are travelling with fans from an affected region.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Cancelling a rugby match and not stopping travel is like putting a plaster on a broken leg

IRFU will follow govt advice, but it seems pointless if thousands of ppl descend on Dublin from abroad in 2 weeks and spend paddys day milling around temple bar.

What if 2000 Italians travel on match 6th anyway?

What defines a mass gathering? Numbers wise

200/2000/20000/40000/1000000??

1000 people die of normal flu in Ireland per year, do we go into lock down and cancel sporting events during flu season every year?

I've seen this argument again and again. Its stupid. There's vaccines to prevent the various flu stains every year. People get those vaccines. Thats how we control that virus. This virus has no such vaccine yet and while its not as fatal as flu or SARS it is spreading a lot faster and further. So the only way to contain it is to try prevent it spreading. A mass gathering of tens of thousands of people in close proximity with the potential of even a few people from an infected region sprinkled in amongst the crowd is too big a risk.

DGRulz wrote: »
    I've seen this argument again and again. Its stupid. There's vaccines to prevent the various flu stains every year. People get those vaccines. Thats how we control that virus. This virus has no such vaccine yet and while its not as fatal as flu or SARS it is spreading a lot faster and further. So the only way to contain it is to try prevent it spreading. A mass gathering of tens of thousands of people in close proximity with the potential of even a few people from an infected region sprinkled in amongst the crowd is too big a risk.
    Technically the flu isn't as fatal as covid-19. Mortality rate is something around 0.1% for flu and <3% for covid-19. SARS mortality rate was 9.6%. But flu kills more people than covid-19 has. The current flu season has killed 44 people here by the end of December.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DGRulz wrote: »

While its mortality rate is lower than SARS it is higher than the flu. It has already killed more than SARS.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Technically the flu isn't as fatal as covid-19. Mortality rate is something around 0.1% for flu and <3% for covid-19. SARS mortality rate was 9.6%. But flu kills more people than covid-19 has. The current flu season has killed 44 people here by the end of December.
    While its mortality rate is lower than SARS it is higher than the flu. It has already killed more than SARS.

Well then, my point is even more valid. Thanks for the correction.

On a lighter note, but related, I saw a CNN headline the other day that said Germany did not intend to close its borders with Italy... :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Some Serie A games were cancelled last Sunday as the outbreak came to light. However this week all Serie A fixtures will go ahead, but the ones in the affected area will be played behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Cancelling a rugby match and not stopping travel is like putting a plaster on a broken leg

IRFU will follow govt advice, but it seems pointless if thousands of ppl descend on Dublin from abroad in 2 weeks and spend paddys day milling around temple bar.

What if 2000 Italians travel on match 6th anyway?

What defines a mass gathering? Numbers wise

200/2000/20000/40000/1000000??

It’s a really thin line between stopping spreading and causing wide spread mass panic (which could end up costing move lives than the virus). The official guidelines state that if you’re in Ireland’s situation now you should consider cancelling events, which we’re doing, but there’s no need to close schools or impose travel bans. I’m going to trust the experts on this one

• Advertisement

It’s a really thin line between stopping spreading and causing wide spread mass panic (which could end up costing move lives than the virus). The official guidelines state that if you’re in Ireland’s situation now you should consider cancelling events, which we’re doing, but there’s no need to close schools or impose travel bans. I’m going to trust the experts on this one

Much like our neighbours, there appears to be a growing number of people who have heard enough from experts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement