Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You just really haven’t a clue do you?

That bit of legislation will probably save millions of people from cancer and other diseases

Ah so tis cancer Murphy is focusing on. Tell me is that still not Harris' area? Was Murphy brought in as a backup minister for health because Harris is so ineffective? Are fine Gael also just completely abandoning housing altogether and admitting there's nothing they can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,131 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Not the poster you were replying to, but this caught my eye so just throwing in my own two cents:

Doing the same:

The modern West in general went down the rabbit hole of neoliberalism in the early 90s and hasn't come back from it yet. The vote for SF and the left in general is an attempt to emerge from that.

Just not in keeping with the cost of living generally, the cost of housing in particular.

See above. This vote is an attempt to change that through democratic means.

They should be forced to act in a socially responsible manner, and it's government's job to force them to.

Or, we should acknowledge that land is a national resource and not allow people to abuse is in this manner, again through democratic policy making.

And FG has allowed it to continue, hence rejecting both FF and FG.

Caused by the government refusing to change the law around what counts as a business's liability and what counts as someone's own stupidity. FFG have been in power for decades and they have done nothing to address this.

I've never voted for SF before in my life and this time around I gave our local candidate my #2 after Richard Boyd Barrett, specifically because I believes a big enough SF share of seats would allow them to form an exclusively centre to left coalition without including either of the centre to right parties. I suspect many, many people of my generation did the same thing.

Too much baggage, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Too much baggage, dude.

Nobody is getting any younger. The people whose youths are rapidly slipping away due to the rising cost of living aren't going to wait around for an alternative to emerge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

FG and FF giving out about SF rallies...

Meanwhile...:pac::pac:

85251519_10158145606754433_8649062629374951424_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=bFVnBKi_ea4AX-Tg4yx&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=b2bff5f1dbb961f1181c30cbbfb1d637&oe=5EF5B2E1

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Cupatae wrote: »
    FG and FF giving out about SF rallies...

Meanwhile...:pac::pac:

85251519_10158145606754433_8649062629374951424_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=bFVnBKi_ea4AX-Tg4yx&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=b2bff5f1dbb961f1181c30cbbfb1d637&oe=5EF5B2E1

Well if we’re allowed to use old pictures out of context, here is a much much newer gerry adams next to jean mcconville who was dissapeared by an SFIRA member for giving a british soldier a glass of water

• Advertisement

Well if we’re allowed to use old pictures out of context, here is a much much newer gerry adams next to jean mcconville who was dissapeared by an SFIRA member for giving a british soldier a glass of water

think u linked the wrong pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,255 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    Do you not see that they were looking? Regardless of SF, FG need look at that. If it wasn't SF it would have been the SD's, Greens etc. Slagging off SF in not helping the public with their issues.
    Be nice if FG concerned themselves with that.

Fine Gael got 20% of the vote. Why are the Sinn Fein cheerleaders on here still obsessing about them?

Slagging off Sinn Fein will do nothing to attract people like you, but you would never give your vote to Fine Gael anyway. However, there are 70% of people in this country who will never ever vote Sinn Fein and Fine Gael is appealing to them.

Nobody is getting any younger. The people whose youths are rapidly slipping away due to the rising cost of living aren't going to wait around for an alternative to emerge.

Yes, that is a fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

blanch152 wrote: »
    Fine Gael got 20% of the vote. Why are the Sinn Fein cheerleaders on here still obsessing about them?

Slagging off Sinn Fein will do nothing to attract people like you, but you would never give your vote to Fine Gael anyway. However, there are 70% of people in this country who will never ever vote Sinn Fein and Fine Gael is appealing to them.

Agree on a lot of what you say but the maths don't add up, there's nothing to suggest that 70% of people would never vote SF, the didn't this time round but those kinds of numbers are not hardcore anti SF or pro FG/FF/Green etc, that percentage would be much (much) lower, voters are much more changeable now, the died in the wool crowd are (literally) dying off.

I didn't/wouldn't vote SF but have no way of knowing how I'll feel about them after they've played a more senior role in our politics - one way or another that's about to happen, a lot of 'fencers' like me are about to be informed (whatever way that goes).

• Registered Users Posts: 67,112 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The 'ceiling' is being put back up! :)

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Agree on a lot of what you say but the maths don't add up, there's nothing to suggest that 70% of people would never vote SF, the didn't this time round but those kinds of numbers are not hardcore anti SF or pro FG/FF/Green etc, that percentage would be much (much) lower, voters are much more changeable now, the died in the wool crowd are (literally) dying off.

I didn't/wouldn't vote SF but have no way of knowing how I'll feel about them after they've played a more senior role in our politics - oine way or another that's about to happen, a lot of 'fencers' like me are about to be informed (whatever way that goes).

That 70% could change over time, I agree, but Sinn Fein would have to do an awful lot from dropping silly policies to getting rid of all the legacy nastiness before they could ever do better. That would just turn them into Fianna Fail nua though.

If they stay as they are, there are limits.

70% that will never ever vote SF? jaysus we could have skipped the election and just got onto you instead you know the minds of the public so well.

Any chance of next weeks lotto numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

That would just turn them into Fianna Fail nua though.

Isn't that what they really are though, FF and FG seem to have morphed into each other (I'm not joking or trolling), imo that's splitting their vote share and part of the cause of the results.

I'll also credit SF with some massive changes in the last 30 years, when I started voting you woukld literally be concerned about them canvassing at your door, they're definitely not that anymore especially at a local level - which is where they've gained so much (again just my opinion).

Cupatae wrote: »
    70% that will never ever vote SF? jaysus we could have skipped the election and just got onto you instead you know the minds of the public so well.

Any chance of next weeks lotto numbers?

blanch was adamant SF had reached the ceiling in their vote before the election and even in the face of the polling was putting that at 17 or 18%.
    A few others had big wadges of cash on them not getting more than 28 seats...they haven't been seen here since. :D

I wouldn't be taking any betting advice of them to be perfectly honest.

blanch was adamant SF had reached the ceiling in their vote before the election and even in the face of the polling was putting that at 17 or 18%.
    A few others had big wadges of cash on them not getting more than 28 seats...they haven't been seen here since. :D

I wouldn't be taking any betting advice of them to be perfectly honest.

I had money on SF/FF at 12/1. Still waiting to see will that pay out.

I had money on SF/FF at 12/1. Still waiting to see will that pay out.

You lost that money when Michael led his party to parity with SF.

Had he gotten the 50 seats he thought he was getting when he opened the door to SF you'd be quids in.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/martin-opens-the-door-to-coalition-with-sinn-fein-38941313.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fianna-f%C3%A1il-reaction-martin-opens-door-to-government-with-fg-or-sf-1.4167246

You lost that money when Michael led his party to parity with SF.

Had he gotten the 50 seats he thought he was getting when he opened the door to SF you'd be quids in.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/martin-opens-the-door-to-coalition-with-sinn-fein-38941313.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fianna-f%C3%A1il-reaction-martin-opens-door-to-government-with-fg-or-sf-1.4167246

When I placed the bet, they didn't have a SF/FF/Other option, I will still look for payout if that comes to pass. Probably wasting my time.

When I placed the bet, they didn't have a SF/FF/Other option, I will still look for payout if that comes to pass. Probably wasting my time.

I'd have potentially agreed with you until Micheal Martin nailed his trousers to the mast by explicitly ruling out doing business with SF. I've been hearing on the grapevine that there's a lot of dissent in FF at the moment about whether or not this was the right move, or if it was horribly premature given how things have developed afterwards. For all the comparisons being made, there's actually a crucial difference between SF saying they would ideally like a government without FF or FG, to FF and FG categorically saying they won't do business with SF. When FF and FG assumed SF wouldn't do well in the election, they repeatedly made remarks about SF's supposed unwillingness to work with anyone else, now that the tables have turned so spectacularly it just looks bad. And from what I'm hearing, there's a not unsizeable faction within FF which is basically saying "if Martin is adamant that he won't do business with SF, maybe it's time we replaced him as leader with someone who might".

Martin can't row back on what he's said after doubling down on it, so I'd say he's on shakier ground than people realise. It's not necessarily that there are a lot of FFers who actually like SF, it's more that apparently, to a lot of FFers, doing business with SF would be less toxic to their brand than doing business with FG, since it would expose the fundamental fallacy of FF and FG pretending to be opposites for so long, when in face they're a Venn Diagram with a massive amount of overlap. And if that faction in the party proves to be the largest, Martin could easily find himself being sidelined as it would be less embarrassing than having the leader of the party publicly do a 180 so soon after doubling down on a position immediately following a bruising election result.

I wonder if they could get around this by doing a confidence and supply with SF and then spending the next five years (or however long such a Dáil would survive) teaming up with FG to undermine their policies at every opportunity? They seem to be very weary of C&S after the last few years (and who could blame them) but they're really between a rock and a hard place in the sense that an arrangement with either SF or FG will alienate one of two large factions of supporters and members. They can't do another C&S with FG, that'll piss too many people off, but they could potentially do the whole "fair enough Mary Lou, we'll vote you for Taoiseach and then you'll have to break all your promises as the FFG bloc in the Dáil make it impossible to pass legislation" thing.

Do you think you'd get a payout if it was FF and SF but purely because of a confidence and supply arrangement in which FF support Mary Lou for Taoiseach, rather than an actual formal coalition? What was the exact wording of the bet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭PommieBast

And from what I'm hearing, there's a not unsizeable faction within FF which is basically saying "if Martin is adamant that he won't do business with SF, maybe it's time we replaced him as leader with someone who might".
    That is pretty much what I was suspecting 1-2 weeks ago.

Doubt FF will have appetite for another C&S agreement. Compared to formal coalition it is all the blame but none of the power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You got my comment backwards. I'm quite literally saying I'd rather FG/FF concentrated on why SF got the boost than slagging them off and making arses of themselves, albeit entertaining to a point. You know, for the management of the county like.

I am a former FG voter. This is the problem. They should be looking to do what works not cadge votes and ignore sections of society because they won't get votes anyway. That's the major issue with the ignorance of Fine Gael IMO. If they made a decent go of it I'd vote for them again. It's more comfortable to believe the lies that people are just out to get FG. That's just sad. It's not about teams ffs.
    I don't care if it's 90%, don't be so petty, it's about what's best for the country and the public don't seem to think any party is over another. FF/FG need look at that instead of being so bratty, bitter and nasty.

• Advertisement

That 70% could change over time, I agree, but Sinn Fein would have to do an awful lot from dropping silly policies to getting rid of all the legacy nastiness before they could ever do better. That would just turn them into Fianna Fail nua though.

Like record breaking numbers of homeless children?
    The housing and health crises?
    Over runs like the NCH?
    Another state contract for Denis O'Brien?

Pretty silly alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I've never voted for SF before in my life and this time around I gave our local candidate my #2 after Richard Boyd Barrett, specifically because I believes a big enough SF share of seats would allow them to form an exclusively centre to left coalition without including either of the centre to right parties. I suspect many, many people of my generation did the same thing.

How did you come to your belief that this desired coalition would be in anyway possible? Richard Boyd Barrett can't even get a handful of like minded people to coalesce to form one party, instead he is involved in a hodgepodge alliance akin to a grouping of independents.

Over two weeks since the election and so far we've seen no evidence that even the far left parties have come anywhere close to agreeing on anything and the centre left parties have basically ruled that option out.

Voting left, transfer left is complete pointless protest nonsense if none of the parties of the left can come close to agreeing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And from what I'm hearing, there's a not unsizeable faction within FF which is basically saying "if Martin is adamant that he won't do business with SF, maybe it's time we replaced him as leader with someone who might".

I don't think there's enough active enthusiasm within FF for a deal with SF to make this happen. When it seemed to be a live possibility in the election aftermath, AFAIK the only FF TDs openly advocating it were the usual awkward squad/duo of McGuinness and O'Cuiv. If FF/FG talks run into the sand, IMO the momentum towards another election will be irreversible.

Bowie wrote: »
    You got my comment backwards. I'm quite literally saying I'd rather FG/FF concentrated on why SF got the boost than slagging them off and making arses of themselves, albeit entertaining to a point. You know, for the management of the county like.

I am a former FG voter. This is the problem. They should be looking to do what works not cadge votes and ignore sections of society because they won't get votes anyway. That's the major issue with the ignorance of Fine Gael IMO. If they made a decent go of it I'd vote for them again. It's more comfortable to believe the lies that people are just out to get FG. That's just sad. It's not about teams ffs.
    I don't care if it's 90%, don't be so petty, it's about what's best for the country and the public don't seem to think any party is over another. FF/FG need look at that instead of being so bratty, bitter and nasty.

You make some good points Bowie, and indeed Alan Dukes made more or less the same points this morning.

You are correct when you intimate that where FG went ‘wrong’ was not managing and marketing their successes,and they had some, well enough.

What any Govt. should do is concentrate as far as possible on the main bones of contention which would be in my opinion

Housing, Health, Insurance, Child care costs, Climate concerns.

Big mistake to concentrate on Brexit, Joxer doesn’t care about that.

SF in my opinion haven’t a hope of sorting out those issues as they say they can, no experience, very few serious politicians, will be viewed with suspicion by the money people, will have a trust deficit etc

That’s the way it is, not trying to be cynical.

You make some good points Bowie, and indeed Alan Dukes made more or less the same points this morning.

You are correct when you intimate that where FG went ‘wrong’ was not managing and marketing their successes,and they had some, well enough.

What any Govt. should do is concentrate as far as possible on the main bones of contention which would be in my opinion

Housing, Health, Insurance, Child care costs, Climate concerns.

Big mistake to concentrate on Brexit, Joxer doesn’t care about that.

SF in my opinion haven’t a hope of sorting out those issues as they say they can, no experience, very few serious politicians, will be viewed with suspicion by the money people, will have a trust deficit etc

That’s the way it is, not trying to be cynical.

SF wouldn't be my first pick, however I'm sick of FF/FG, the arrogance, entitlement and ineptitude. Time for a change. SF will not be ruling any roost alone and likely not this time anyway.
    It's disappointing that FF/FG are using this time to throw mud instead of looking to the country and what might be done differently. Sad.

Likely FF/FG are thinking they can ride this out and look after each other until the electorate come to their senses, such is FF/FG's sense or arrogance and entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's not necessarily that there are a lot of FFers who actually like SF, it's more that apparently, to a lot of FFers, doing business with SF would be less toxic to their brand than doing business with FG, since it would expose the fundamental fallacy of FF and FG pretending to be opposites for so long, when in face they're a Venn Diagram with a massive amount of overlap. And if that faction in the party proves to be the largest,

If you're going to say that FF And FG are both the same then at least admit that they won the popular vote with twice the number of seats as SF.

Or of the two, which party bumped up public service pay massively to unsustainable levels during the boom, and which party opposed the introduction of water charges?

Seems to me that FF have significantly more in common with SF than FG
    I wonder if they could get around this by doing a confidence and supply with SF and then spending the next five years (or however long such a Dáil would survive) teaming up with FG to undermine their policies at every opportunity? They seem to be very weary of C&S after the last few years (and who could blame them) but they're really between a rock and a hard place in the sense that an arrangement with either SF or FG will alienate one of two large factions of supporters and members. They can't do another C&S with FG, that'll piss too many people off, but they could potentially do the whole "fair enough Mary Lou, we'll vote you for Taoiseach and then you'll have to break all your promises as the FFG bloc in the Dáil make it impossible to pass legislation" thing.

A C&S allowing for a SF minister for justice will never happen.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    How did you come to your belief that this desired coalition would be in anyway possible? Richard Boyd Barrett can't even get a handful of like minded people to coalesce to form one party, instead he is involved in a hodgepodge alliance akin to a grouping of independents.

Over two weeks since the election and so far we've seen no evidence that even the far left parties have come anywhere close to agreeing on anything and the centre left parties have basically ruled that option out.

Voting left, transfer left is complete pointless protest nonsense if none of the parties of the left can come close to agreeing anything.

The one thing the left can generally agree on is that the neoliberalism of FFG is toxic. If they can agree on that, even if nothing else, I could see them putting something together.

A government which gets almost nothing done is better than a government which actively does bad things. A left coalition may not make huge amounts of progress, but FFS Fine Gael are actively making things worse because they ideologically believe that things getting worse for ordinary people is a good thing because it benefits the investment class, and FF... Well, we all know what FF did the last time they were in office.

I'd rather five years of a Dáil hamstrung by disagreements to five years of a government which takes the "let them eat cake" attitude to the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The one thing the left can generally agree on is that the neoliberalism of FFG is toxic. If they can agree on that, even if nothing else, I could see them putting something together.

A government which gets almost nothing done is better than a government which actively does bad things. A left coalition may not make huge amounts of progress, but FFS Fine Gael are actively making things worse because they ideologically believe that things getting worse for ordinary people is a good thing because it benefits the investment class, and FF... Well, we all know what FF did the last time they were in office.

I'd rather five years of a Dáil hamstrung by disagreements to five years of a government which takes the "let them eat cake" attitude to the housing crisis.

They’d all want to give something to everyone in order to gain future votes and we’d be back where we were under FF before they ran the ship aground.

Far too risky if you’re a taxpayer.

They’d all want to give something to everyone in order to gain future votes and we’d be back where we were under FF before they ran the ship aground.

Far too risky if you’re a taxpayer.

If you're a taxpayer who lives under a crappy quality of life and a constant threat of eviction because your rent keeps getting higher, it's less risky than five more years of giving state land to private developers instead of subsidising housing construction like we should have been doing for the last five years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

The one thing the left can generally agree on is that the neoliberalism of FFG is toxic.

I think that's a fair reflection of the Left's position.

But likewise, the parties of the Centre view SF/IRA as pretty toxic too. Hence the current impasse.

Advertisement