Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Foxtrol wrote: »
    They don't randomly appear, terrorist groups or any criminal organization take advantage of disenfranchised young people and turn them to violence.

Take the KKK or other white nationalist groups as an example, they didn't appear out of thin air but it doesn't mean their motivation is any way pure because they see themselves as 'oppressed'.

The IRA killed more Catholics in the north during the troubles than any other group.

Really? you're comparing the IRA to the KKK...thats reaching abit..grand i dunno how true the "They killed more catholics than anyone else is" but for argument sake ill go with it, why did they kill these people? would it have been alright if they were of another religion?

The IRA's use of violence for the most part seemed strategic and less mindless, i believe most of there bombings came with warnings to avoid innocent casualties ?

Also if they were so brutal to there own people as you alure to where did they get the support from? why didnt there campaign completely collapse?

I get the feeling that you arent telling the whole story only certain sections for effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Cupatae wrote: »
    Really? you're comparing the IRA to the KKK...thats reaching abit..grand i dunno how true the "They killed more catholics than anyone else is" but for argument sake ill go with it, why did they kill these people? would it have been alright if they were of another religion?

The IRA's use of violence for the most part seemed strategic and less mindless, i believe most of there bombings came with warnings to avoid innocent casualties ?

Also if they were so brutal to there own people as you alure to where did they get the support from? why didnt there campaign completely collapse?

I get the feeling that you arent telling the whole story only certain sections for effect.

I'm not comparing their ideologies but you claimed 'groups like that dont just randomly appear out of thin air' and white supremacy groups are terrorist 'groups like that'. Whether you deem the ideology that motivates them is fair or foul, their leaders prey on disillusioned young people to take up arms.

The implication that the bombing of civilians is less mindless because they gave warnings is disturbing and likely a good example of the type of mental gymnastics that allows people to vote for SF. If someone goes into a cinema with a gun and gives people 10 seconds to run before opening fire it doesn't make them any less evil.

From you post I'm not sure if you're expecting me to go through every single murder committed by the IRA with you but I don't have the time for that. Maybe do a bit of research yourself and come back to me.

I'm not comparing their ideologies but you claimed 'groups like that dont just randomly appear out of thin air' and white supremacy groups are terrorist 'groups like that'. Whether you deem the ideology that motivates them is fair or foul, their leaders prey on disillusioned young people to take up arms.

The implication that the bombing of civilians is less mindless because they gave warnings is disturbing and likely a good example of the type of mental gymnastics that allows people to vote for SF. If someone goes into a cinema with a gun and gives people 10 seconds to run before opening fire it doesn't make them any less evil.

From you post I'm not sure if you're expecting me to go through every single murder committed by the IRA with you but I don't have the time for that. Maybe do a bit of research yourself and come back to me.

" their leaders prey on disillusioned young people to take up arms."

Where to even start with that... you realize what the troubles was about yeah?

Your analogies are stupid and you deliberately skew facts and muddy the waters, there is a significant difference in intent alone take your gunman in a cinema , from the get go he was intending to kill innocent people and gave them a chance but still killed innocents.

Aiming to blow up a building to cause economic damage to an oppressive force while giving a warning so that innocent people dont get hurt, the intent was to blow the building up not the people.

Again were the IRA wrong in fighting back in the north?

Were the British good people looking to live peacefully?

Answer those questions.

By your logic and many like you, the USA Military is worse than ISIS cause they killed more civilians than most terrorist organisations combined.

Such stupid logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

They don't randomly appear, terrorist groups or any criminal organization take advantage of disenfranchised young people and turn them to violence.

Take the KKK or other white nationalist groups as an example, they didn't appear out of thin air but it doesn't mean their motivation is any way pure because they see themselves as 'oppressed'.

The IRA killed more Catholics in the north during the troubles than any other group.

ah cop on.they appeared because there was no security force to protect a sizeable portion of the community. I dont mind the bull**** I read on here, but dont try to change history just because you dont know it

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    ah cop on.they appeared because there was no security force to protect a sizeable portion of the community. I dont mind the bull**** I read on here, but dont try to change history just because you dont know it

Yes it is well known that how you protect a community is by bombing civilians, including many from that same community :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Interesting how SF supporters on this thread have gradually gone from "it's all about housing and SF are a legitimate party" to literally defending the murder of civilians.

" their leaders prey on disillusioned young people to take up arms."

Where to even start with that... you realize what the troubles was about yeah?

The current active republican groups are preying on the exact same type of disillusioned young people.

Do you have issues with them continuing their campaign?
    Your analogies are stupid and you deliberately skew facts and muddy the waters, there is a significant difference in intent alone take your gunman in a cinema , from the get go he was intending to kill innocent people and gave them a chance but still killed innocents.

Aiming to blow up a building to cause economic damage to an oppressive force while giving a warning so that innocent people dont get hurt, the intent was to blow the building up not the people.

Do you even understand how the warnings used to work, they were incredibly basic and regularly failed?

You're really twisting yourself in knots here. 'Economic damage' is incredibly callous, they targeted pubs, shops, and offices. Those literally fall under the definition of war crimes.

You know how you avoid killing innocent people, don't target where they drink, shop, or work.
    Again were the IRA wrong in fighting back in the north?

Were the British good people looking to live peacefully?

Answer those questions.

Why? These questions have nothing to do with the point I was responding to. I'm discussing their actions, not ideologies. Just because someone believes they are right doesn't justify their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

quokula wrote: »
    Interesting how SF supporters on this thread have gradually gone from "it's all about housing and SF are a legitimate party" to literally defending the murder of civilians.

Isn't it wonderful that they are even an issue. Boards is alive with SF bashing. They aren't irrelevant anymore and the establishment and their followers are in a serious panic. About time this country copped on and did something about the yearly scandals from smear test debacle to housing crisis etc. The list is endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,131 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Isn't it wonderful that they are even an issue. Boards is alive with SF bashing. They aren't irrelevant anymore and the establishment and their followers are in a serious panic. About time this country copped on and did something about the yearly scandals from smear test debacle to housing crisis etc. The list is endless.

Sure sure, I’m sure someone will flick a switch.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What serious panic?

SF are more interested in running 'rallies' than making any real effort to put together their alphabet soup of the left government. They know they can't implement their manifesto promises, as they never actually thought they'd have to so now have no plan.

I wouldn't be one to talk about scandals, SF have been embroiled in them nearly daily since the election and they haven't even been given any power to run things yet. Of course the blame for every one of these is on everyone but SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Field east

Would Mary Lou McDonnell ever consider using her name in Irish. It would be the ultimate move to copperfasten her republican /Irish credentials.so haw about it Maire Labhaoise Mhic Dhomnail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

What serious panic?

SF are more interested in running 'rallies' than making any real effort to put together their alphabet soup of the left government. They know they can't implement their manifesto promises, as they never actually thought they'd have to so now have no plan.

I wouldn't be one to talk about scandals, SF have been embroiled in them nearly daily since the election and they haven't even been given any power to run things yet. Of course the blame for every one of these is on everyone but SF.

More "Bashing". great.....yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 19,131 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

More "Bashing". great.....yawn

My friend, SF have spent the last five years “bashing” as you call it.

Now that the slate has been lifted, get used to it, dude.

The current active republican groups are preying on the exact same type of disillusioned young people.

Do you have issues with them continuing their campaign?

Do you even understand how the warnings used to work, they were incredibly basic and regularly failed?

You're really twisting yourself in knots here. 'Economic damage' is incredibly callous, they targeted pubs, shops, and offices. Those literally fall under the definition of war crimes.

You know how you avoid killing innocent people, don't target where they drink, shop, or work.

Why? These questions have nothing to do with the point I was responding to. I'm discussing their actions, not ideologies. Just because someone believes they are right doesn't justify their actions.

Those questions have everything to do with it, you just nit pick at there actions as it suits your own agenda,

What current campaign are you referring too? i believe there has been peace in the north for quiet sometime now. You are bouncing thru timelines aswell to suit yourself...

Oh please war crimes...spare us! the same people that want to enforce such things break those laws on the regular, its rich talking about war crimes and the british... i suppose you think the famine was a natural disaster aswell?

At the root of it all though who caused the IRA? that lead to the conflict that lead to the deaths of those innocent people? As far as i can see thats where the blame should be squarely placed the blood is on there hands.

Happens when you ve FF and FG using murders as a stick to attack SF. About the only time those lot give a **** about those murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Happens when you ve FF and FG using murders as a stick to attack SF. About the only time those lot give a **** about those murders.

Yeah it also helps detract from the 4, homeless people dead in the last 8 days on Irish streets. Has anyone heard from Eoghan Murphy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

smurgen wrote: »
    Yeah it also helps detract from the 4, homeless people dead in the last 8 days on Irish streets. Has anyone heard from Eoghan Murphy?

Credit where credit is due, when SFIRA kill people it’s swift, FFG pursue a policy of slowly degrading their victims over a number of years before allowing them to freeze to death outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

So just to be clear

Having a murderous history: OK no big deal

Pointing out somebody else’s murderous history: how dare they

Has anything positive come out of Fine Gael at all since before the election? Surely the best way to win back voters would be to tackle issues, give people hope and come up with fast track plans.all they've done is attack non stop and slur large parts of the electorate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Has anything positive come out of Fine Gael at all since before the election? Surely the best way to win back voters would be to tackle issues, give people hope and come up with fast track plans.all they've done is attack non stop and slur large parts of the electorate.

They got the boot.

Voted out for their failures.

And now you think they can tackle issues???

So just to be clear

Having a murderous history: OK no big deal

Pointing out somebody else’s murderous history: how dare they

Using those murders to further there own agenda while at the back of it all not really giving a **** about those murders any other time is what i have a problem with.

Similar to how there supporters are using it on here yano? as a stick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

What did they die from? Coronavirus?

An incurable disease called "Homelessness"

Apathy

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Apathy

So what, you two think that SF are going to stop homeless people from sleeping rough and dying? How are they going to stop these people from leaving the shelters so they can get high? Kneecappings?

You can't take a chronic heroin addict and just give them the keys to a free gaf. How do you think they ended up on the streets in the first place?

So what, you two think that SF are going to stop homeless people from sleeping rough and dying? How are they going to stop these people from leaving the shelters so they can get high? Kneecappings?

Defensive much?

You can't take a chronic heroin addict and just give them the keys to a free gaf. How do you think they ended up on the streets in the first place?

were they heroin addicts?

• Advertisement

were they heroin addicts?

I'd say they were. Normal run of the mill stuff doesn't make the news headlines. Heroin addict dies....nobody shocked.

Advertisement