Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Is it possible to think it's both much worse than what's been reported and also not as bad as I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Does anyone know of any good forums not constantly derailed by people ignoring the massive actions being taken and so deep in denial that they can't see daylight?
    Because this is painful, this thread is wrecked with em.

Which level of drama do you require?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

This thread is mad, not even the people in woman are as panicked as some on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I will be posting from my island of the northern coast of Iceland later ....

No one is there ... just me.

I have a "Fishing for dummies" manual.
    I think a good 2 year spell out here should see this through.

Check my sig - Ill get you kitted out no probs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

darced wrote: »
    I am meant to be travelling to Rome tomorrow for a week, what should I do? Any advice appreciated.

Don't touch any of the holy water in the churches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Oranage2 wrote: »
    This thread is mad, not even the people in woman are as panicked as some on this thread

Id love to be in woman right now!

darced wrote: »
    I am meant to be travelling to Rome tomorrow for a week, what should I do? Any advice appreciated.

If it was me I wouldn’t go. But that’s me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I think you would always have option of crossing the border to get out of Italy and getting home via road and rail if it ever came to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭McGiver

Feckin HSE ****....no instruction to call helpline, saying that risk is "low", total complacency. "We will try to contact who is infected" - laughable. List of countries outdated, only mentions China.
    Risk of catching coronavirus
    There has been no confirmed case of coronavirus in Ireland.

The risk of getting coronavirus in Ireland is low.

If there is a case here, health professionals will try to contact anyone who has been in contact with the infected person.

If you are not contacted, you are extremely unlikely to catch coronavirus.

You do not need to follow any advice in relation to coronavirus if you have:
    - not been to mainland China
    - not been in contact with a person who has coronavirus
    - not been to a healthcare facility where patients with coronavirus were treated
    - recently returned from Hong Kong or Macau and have not travelled through mainland China

Not a big fan, but compare with NHS! I'm sure they will put Italy on that list in few days. While HSE still have only China there.
    The UK Chief Medical Officers have raised the risk to the public from low to moderate. But the risk to individuals remains low.

Call 111 now if you've been:
    - to Wuhan or Hubei Province in China in the last 14 days (even if you do not have symptoms)
    - to other parts of mainland China in the last 14 days and have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath (even if it's mild)
    - to Thailand, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia or Macau in the last 14 days and have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath (even if it's mild)

- in close contact with someone with confirmed coronavirus

Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. Call 111, stay indoors and avoid close contact with other people.

Tell 111 about any recent travel and any symptoms you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

imfml wrote: »
    If the Minister for Health is reviewing public gatherings, such as the rugby match, what else could fall under any action taken? Surely gyms fall under public gathering, schools and offices, or would it just be to keep the Italians away? I didn't go to the gym today after reading this thread. Probably 5/10 concerned, doesn't help that I am diabetic :/

You'll be grand. The only issue is if it gets floodd. Be vry careful about what you rad hre. I have a theory that it has ben exagrated to get views and peopl are mor worreid about th panic and the conomy than death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ALl the people asking about travel advice, if TV has taught me anything, its that Harvey Norman have a lot of sales on, throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Another 18 Americans who were passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship test positive for coronavirus after being evacuated to the U.S

Said it before but everyone of them is infected

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

McGiver wrote: »
    Feckin HSE ****....no instruction to call helpline, saying that risk is "low", total complacency. "We will try to contact who is infected" - laughable. List of countries outdated, only mentions China.

Not a big fan, but compare with NHS! I'm sure they will put Italy on that list in few days. While HSE still have only China there.

Posted a more uptpdate one yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

BloodBath wrote: »
    I'm not stirring anything. I'm correcting your bull**** and others bull**** in this thread.

Data analysis is supposed to be your skill/job and you are useless at it.

Your mentality is basically this formula is posted on the WHO therefore it is 100% accurate.

I've already provided clear evidence why it's not which you choose to ignore.

As long as you keep posting crap I will keep responding to it.

There needs to be some sort of balance counter to the amount of crap being posted here as fact.

Serious irony overload here.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

fritzelly wrote: »
    Another 18 Americans who were passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship test positive for coronavirus after being evacuated to the U.S

And this American guy has been on a culinary tour of Tokyo since, final has locked himself into a hotel room after some backlash on twitter
    Take a look at Matthew Smith (@mjswhitebread): https://twitter.com/mjswhitebread?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

imfml wrote: »
    If the Minister for Health is reviewing public gatherings, such as the rugby match, what else could fall under any action taken? Surely gyms fall under public gathering, schools and offices, or would it just be to keep the Italians away? I didn't go to the gym today after reading this thread. Probably 5/10 concerned, doesn't help that I am diabetic :/

Fleadhs, Arts Festivals, Cooking festivals, list endless, gigs in Dublin, Cork etc. (5/10 for me too, concerned enough.)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

You'll be grand. The only issue is if it gets floodd. Be vry careful about what you rad hre. I have a theory that it has ben exagrated to get views and peopl are mor worreid about th panic and the conomy than death

Going by that spelling I'm presuming you should be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

fritzelly wrote: »

That ship is a giant petri dish at this stage.

The National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) will meet tomorrow and decide if the rugby will go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) will meet tomorrow and decide if the rugby will go ahead

Can they look into getting last weekend's game retrospectively cancelled as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Highly irresponsible if they decide to let it happen, also the decision should be happening monday next week not 2 full weeks out

The verdict will be "ah sure it will be grand" :cool:

Graces7 wrote: »
    Posted a more uptpdate one yesterday!

Who? You or the HSE? I've checked the website today. It's outdated (information wise), but says it was updated on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    stir stir stir :D

Why don't you have a little read of this before comparing covid to flu again. This is how calculations are done properly when there is enough data to support it.

This has not currently been done for covid. The WHO's method is useful for comparison to other outbreaks for risk assessment in the early stages but it is in noway an accurate number.

Those, including you, who have been comparing the WHO's 2-3% number to flu's 0.1% are comparing apples and oranges. You have also stated as much as 30% of people who catch it will die. Along with many other bull**** statements.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/why-cdc-estimates.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

BloodBath wrote: »
    Those, including you, who have been comparing the WHO's 2-3% number to flu's 0.1% are comparing apples and oranges. You have also stated as much as 30% of people who catch it will die. Along with many other bull**** statements.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/why-cdc-estimates.htm

me using the 2-3% number? LOL
    i spent hours in here insisting that number not to be used!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

DrumSteve wrote: »
    That ship is a giant petri dish at this stage.

Did they say how many of the passenger tested negative by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Maybe everyone here in Boards should email HSE like nuts, bombard them with emails to update their website and info. I've to play my session in Cholis tonight, probably full of Italian, Japanese, South Korean and Singapore tourists hahaha. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

givyjoe wrote: »
    Serious irony overload here.

Oh yes it's ironic that I'm having a go at someone who's been saying crap like as much as 30% of people who will catch this will die.

Point out what I've said that is wrong then and back it up with "facts".

I've done it several times already and it hasn't been countered once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

So many people dont realise how serious this is spanish flu started slow but then wiped everything in its path, look at any chart of serious disease and covid 19 comes second to spanish flu ahead of swine flu on case confirmed at this stage on each serious outbreak people also thing its like our colds and flu when its not look at the critical numbers these people who are critical are more than likely not going to survive it which my estimates are coming in at around 18% death rate compared to what the media is saying it is at 3 or 4% china has clearly lied about fatalities iran and italy situation kind of confirms this unless these asian countries somehow adds the numbers up different

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement