Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I made no comment on what the dfa should do, merely on what they have done. You seemed to think that advice on not travelling was the same as a ban. It isn't.

People are advised not to travel to that area but hey 99% chance it's already here so whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

"They found that the fatality rate is between 2%-4% in Wuhan, Flag of China & 0.7% outside Wuhan.

They found that for people with mild #COVID19 disease, recovery time is about two weeks, while people with severe or critical disease recover within three to six weeks"-

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Does boards.ie have a contingency plan to keep up operations of this vital service should we get hit a pandemic here?

The people demand answers.

Please route my request to appropriate resource.

I've heard the mods and techies have a big bunker out in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Relax there. Fritzelly agrees with you. Read it again.

Ah, the commas threw me off, made it sound that he was speaking in first person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

givyjoe wrote: »
    Hang on now, we're not anywhere near that just yet. We're on the verge of our first confirmed cases, it'll take a fair while before we alone (Ireland) get to thousands.

We need more precautions though.

Yeah, but I don't actually see any precautions being taken by the government. Without precautions, infections increase exponentially, until basically everyone is affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

wadacrack wrote: »
    "They found that the fatality rate is between 2%-4% in Wuhan, Flag of China & 0.7% outside Wuhan.

They found that for people with mild #COVID19 disease, recovery time is about two weeks, while people with severe or critical disease recover within three to six weeks"-

What's mild in this instance?

Flu like symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Peaked in Wuhan cause NOBODY HAS LEFT THEIR HOUSE IN OVER A MONTH.. and most CANT Get to hospital anyway...

Funny how it 'peaked' 2 days after everyone was confined to their houses..

Well the cases rose most while everyone was contained.

So it is good to know that if you go into lockdown early & not wait nearly 2 months like Wuhan you can greatly contain the spread.

If Wuhan had done this a month earlier they would be in much better shape.
    So it is a lesson to the rest of the world.

They have people in Wuhan so people can dicredit them all they want but they know much more than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

drkpower wrote: »
    There is a pretty big difference between advice and a ban.

DFA advises against travel to various areas in the world from time to time; you can still go there though.
    I made no comment on what the dfa should do, merely on what they have done. You seemed to think that advice on not travelling was the same as a ban. It isn't.

I didn't mistake advice for a ban - I questioned why they aren't banning it if they're advising people not to go. Sorry I might have been clearer. As I mentioned upthread, if you shouldn't go because you might catch the virus then you probably shouldn't be allowed go, considering you can bring it back (unlike, say, a travel advisory to avoid HK during the protests - you're unlikely to carry back a riot.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

MD1990 wrote: »

So it is good to know that if you go into lockdown early & not wait nearly 2 months like Wuhan you can greatly contain the spread.

They have people in Wuhan so people can dicredit them all they want but they know much more than anyone else.

The virus will most likely have been present in Italy for the last month mostly undetected. Getting early confirmation seems difficult because of the nature of the virus.

• Advertisement

Back at you. Influenza is not in the same family as the 2019-nCoV virus.

The common cold is not influenza....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I could undertake a wide scale study into the least amount of toilet paper a family of four needs in order to survive a three month quarantine.
    Tip: Buy a bottle of baby cream and add a dollop on your second wipe. Can significantly reduce the number of wipes needed thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

MD1990 wrote: »

Yeah I cant see the 'locking affected people into their houses' going over too well here..

Peaked in Wuhan cause NOBODY HAS LEFT THEIR HOUSE IN OVER A MONTH.. and most CANT Get to hospital anyway...

Funny how it 'peaked' 2 days after everyone was confined to their houses..

I'm so tired of this conspiracy theory. You are as bad as 9/11 truthers.

Can we have a poll in the new thread for how worried you feel on a scale of 1-10. We need to be able to vote in it daily though, not just one vote per person ,so we can get a more accurate idea of just how panicked the people in this thread are. (as opposed to just being told we're panicked).

Yesterday I would have voted 3 or 4/10. Today I'm more 5/10 because I have a sore throat! :D

What conspiracy theory? Was the lockdown not Wuhan's official stance? :confused:

Ficheall wrote: »
    What conspiracy theory? Was the lockdown not Wuhan's official stance? :confused:

That nobody has left their house for a month in Wuhan. That China is deliberately hiding the truth death figures. That the chinese have 20 (or whatever) amount of crematoriums running 24/7. It's all bollocks designed to titillate small minded people.

Can we have a poll in the new thread for how worried you feel on a scale of 1-10. We need to be able to vote in it daily though, not just one vote per person ,so we can get a more accurate idea of just how panicked the people in this thread are. (as opposed to just being told we're panicked).

Yesterday I would have voted 3 or 4/10. Today I'm more 5/10 because I have a sore throat! :D

I was about 8.5/10 when Italy started kicking off, now it's more of a 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Nijmegen wrote: »
    I didn't mistake advice for a ban - I questioned why they aren't banning it if they're advising people not to go. Sorry I might have been clearer. As I mentioned upthread, if you shouldn't go because you might catch the virus then you probably shouldn't be allowed go, considering you can bring it back (unlike, say, a travel advisory to avoid HK during the protests - you're unlikely to carry back a riot.)

There are plenty of places in the world from where you can bring back a communicable and deadly disease.

It’s a question of proportionality; banning travel is one of the more draconian steps a state can impose on its citizens; it would usually (and rightly) be considered a measure of last resort; it is not proportionate to ban travel to a country with c. 200 cases of a disease whose morbidity and mortality we have yet to fully understand.

I suspect that will never be proportionate but we will see.

I'll ignore the non-quoted bit, since it wasn't what I was talking about at all..
    That nobody has left their house for a month in Wuhan.
    What do you think Wuhan did, if not drastically reduce the number of people out and about interacting with each other?
    Is your conspiracy theory that Wuhan only pretended to have a big lockdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I'd be ok with a "moderate" lock down

- Working from home if possible
    - Limiting social gathering to a minimum
    - Self quarantine if symptoms of cold/flue

fr336 wrote: »
    I was about 8.5/10 when Italy started kicking off, now it's more of a 6.

Oooh 8.5. That's at the level of taking time off work, locking your front door and shouting at the postman through your letterbox to leave the package on the doorstep and get the hell off your land.

Not as bad as a 9.5 which is your standing in a ten foot hole right now, frantically shovelling out your bunker space.

10 is the above but theres a second 6 foot hole next to it for your neighbour who coughed in your vicinity so you hit him with the shovel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Yeah, I know how you think..

What is a correct calculation? One that is convenient to your belief of the truth? In two months time, I'm 99.9% certain the mortality rate will be less than 2%. Fancy a charity bet? 100 euros? Say 3 months time if it's more than 2% I'd give the money to MSF, if it's below. You do.With your belief in the "business analyst" side of things. It should be an easy win for you.
    It won't be over 1% by the end. Guaranteed.
    I must admit. The 38 year dying in Italy is a bit concerning. Was healthy. Current worry level would be 4\10.
    Actually. Worry level is back down to 2/10 now that it was fake news that the 38 year old died.
    The majority of people seeming to be recovering quite well from the infection. It seems to me that in a normal person, this strain is flu is less severe than the seasonal.flu.

I know EXACTLY what you think, its just the flu, bro
    .. and you only worry if younger people are affected, older people? Doesnt worry you so much..

Do me a favour and add me to your ignore list please?
    Your good opinion isn't one I care about...

Oooh 8.5. That's at the level of taking time off work, locking your front door and shouting at the postman through your letterbox to leave the package on the doorstep and get the hell off your land.

Not as bad as a 9.5 which is your standing in a ten foot hole right now, frantically shovelling out your bunker space.

10 is the above but theres a second 6 foot hole next to it for your neighbour who coughed in your vicinity so you hit him with the shovel.

Haha! And I'm off work for two weeks!

fr336 wrote: »
    Haha! And I'm off work for two weeks!

The scale is nothing if not accurate! :D

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'll ignore the non-quoted bit, since it wasn't what I was talking about at all..

What do you think Wuhan did, if not drastically reduce the number of people out and about interacting with each other?
    Is your conspiracy theory that Wuhan only pretended to have a big lockdown?
    And that they couldn't get to a hospital even if they wanted to....

It wasn't drastically reduced, the poster said that people in Wuhan haven't left their house in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Finished “over buying” at the weekend so could stay away from the shops for a month if need be, and simultaneously booked our summer flights for end of July. After that whatever will happen will happen. Hopefully this will be rear view by May. Certainly not panicking 4/10 concerned.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

And that they couldn't get to a hospital even if they wanted to....

It wasn't drastically reduced, the poster said that people in Wuhan haven't left their house in a month.

What made you pick the little picture below you're username just asking?:D

silverharp wrote: »
    Finished “over buying” at the weekend so could stay away from the shops for a month if need be, and simultaneously booked our summer flights for end of July. After that whatever will happen will happen. Hopefully this will be rear view by May. Certainly not panicking 4/10 concerned.

Ah 4/10. You've bought in a few extras just in case and your new mantra has become "better safe than sorry!"

The scale is infallible

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know how you think..

I know EXACTLY what you think, its just the flu, bro
    .. and you only worry if younger people are affected, older people? Doesnt worry you so much..

Do me a favour and add me to your ignore list please?
    Your good opinion isn't one I care about...
    What are you talking about? I have always said people with co-morbidities should take more precautions as they are higher risk. I am in a higher risk category myself as I am frontline HSE staff so I've a lot of skin in this game. I've a background in infectious diseases so I am well aware of the risks of the virus. I'm just saying that some people seem more interested in exaggerating than telling the truth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement