Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

What made you pick the little picture below you're username just asking?:D

God. Can't remember. I was only a wee gossum back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ah 4/10. You've bought in a few extras just in case and your new mantra has become "better safe than sorry!"

The scale is infallible

Its all about the illusion of control :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

That nobody has left their house for a month in Wuhan. That China is deliberately hiding the truth death figures. That the chinese have 20 (or whatever) amount of crematoriums running 24/7. It's all bollocks designed to titillate small minded people.

To be fair

People (suspected infected) have been welded into their homes - its unverified, but way to many videos of it happening for it to not be true - of all the things unverified - thats the one I believe.

The chinese were counting pneumonia deaths in most cases early on, they were only counting cases of Confirmed, live, patients and at that would still list the clinical cause of death as pneumonia or organ failure. They dont confirm the dead, of which there are 100s or 1000s still in their homes. They have and still are lying about the severity.

Wuhan has 2 crematoriums - they brought in up to 10 more mobile incinerators to deal with backlog about 3 weeks ago, who knows how many since - so your wrong, that info is widely available if you look for it. Actually all the above is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Yeah, I know how you think..

I know EXACTLY what you think, its just the flu, bro
    .. and you only worry if younger people are affected, older people? Doesnt worry you so much..

Do me a favour and add me to your ignore list please?
    Your good opinion isn't one I care about...

I've asked this before but what's with the hostility being displayed to anyone making comparisons to flu? I understand it's a different virus but in terms of transmission methods, symptoms, and mortality, the flu seems like a reasonable enough comparison at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

God. Can't remember. I was only a wee gossum back then.

Joking aside it's not the end of the world but it is a bit more serious than the flu.
    A few extra bags of rice and pasta enough bog roll sure you will use it either way no harm done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It wasn't drastically reduced
    I would definitely say it was :confused:
    You don't think suspending all public transport, including buses, railways, flights, and ferry services, shutting major highways, non-essential companies including manufacturing plants, and schools was drastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The majority of people seeming to be recovering quite well from the infection. It seems to me that in a normal person, this strain is flu is less severe than the seasonal.flu.

That explains why countries around the world are locking down entire cities compromising their own economy, just a flue ..only less severe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    That explains why countries around the world are locking down entire cities compromising their own economy, just a flue ..only less severe

Ah sure now they don't know how serious the deaths are until they examine all the bodies.

Ah sure now they don't know how serious the deaths are until they examine all the bodies.

we have to wait until 8 billions people are tested before the data can be considered reliable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

tara73 wrote: »
    do you think you are funny and hilarious or have attention issues spreading your BS in this situation or why are you doing it?

really annoying, this is the third or so post of you with such nonsense and no back up. why are the mods not reacting to this and nobody else is calling this guy out on this??

No different than people posting youtube "facts" such as how the virus has mutated in iran and the death rate is now 20% and completely unverified videos from Twitter, some of which are obviously fake or completely unrelated to this virus. Hardly anyone is questioning those. I think perhaps that's the point the poster is trying to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I've asked this before but what's with the hostility being displayed to anyone making comparisons to flu? I understand it's a different virus but in terms of transmission methods, symptoms, and mortality, the flu seems like a reasonable enough comparison at the moment.

the mortality is not the same at all, "regular" seasonal flu strains have mortality rates around 0.05-0.1 % versus 2% (estimated) of COVID-19. that's a pretty huge difference.

froog wrote: »
    the mortality is not the same at all, "regular" seasonal flu strains have mortality rates around 0.05-0.1 % versus 2% (estimated) of COVID-19. that's a pretty huge difference.

we seriously need to stop throwing around that figure, it's non sense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Roger roger roger Defcon II to Defcon IV

THE CHICKEN IS IN THE POT!!!

THE CHICKEN IS IN THE POT!!!!

we seriously need to stop throwing around that figure, it's non sense

it's the best estimate the experts have come up with based on available data. it would be far more dangerous to pretend it has a similar mortality rate to seasonal flu - i.e. do nothing to control its spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Would you people please stop going on about the mortality rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

I wonder nobody mentions goggles here, it's all about masks or hand sanitizer. if we're in a state to need masks everybody going outside would also need protection for the eyes...
    ***See run on goggles now***:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Would you people please stop going on about the mortality rate!
    Exactly! It's only one of the most important things about the virus, aside from its spreadability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

it's the best estimate the experts have come up with based on available data. it would be far more dangerous to pretend it has a similar mortality rate to seasonal flu - i.e. do nothing to control its spread.

The WHO said today that the mortality rate outside of China is less than 1%. Its a few pages back, cant remember the exact number.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    The WHO said today that the mortality rate outside of China is less than 1%. Its a few pages back, cant remember the exact number.

yes i read that earlier too. let's hope it that's low.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I will be posting from my island of the northern coast of Iceland later ....

No one is there ... just me.

I have a "Fishing for dummies" manual.
    I think a good 2 year spell out here should see this through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Ficheall wrote: »
    Exactly! It's only one of the most important things about the virus, aside from its spreadability.

How many different figures have been quoted at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Please don't use unreliable sources like the WHO. We can't be sure of the numbers until they've been verified by a legit source like that lad on youtube whose mate in Iran said it's bad.

It is not the best estimate, and it's not even up to date
    The best estimate will only look at closed cases (death or recovery) and the outcome to this calculation is a different figure

Hmmm. That was based on information at the time. I still reckon that it's unlikely for fatalities to be above 1%. What would you reckon deaths from the flu would be if there was no flu vaccine?

How many different figures have been quoted at this stage?

At the moment 2 methods have been used. They both are based solely on actual data. There is no unreported cases included in the stats below

Flawed method
    Deaths / Total cases = 3% (this is trending up)

Accurate method
    Deaths / Closed cases = 9% (this is trending down)

Hmmm. That was based on information at the time. I still reckon that it's unlikely for fatalities to be above 1%.

at what time? the data is released daily
    Italy is implementing these measures today as we speak
    ...bit I love how you pull that 1% out of a hat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

ardinn wrote: »
    To be fair

People (suspected infected) have been welded into their homes - its unverified, but way to many videos of it happening for it to not be true - of all the things unverified - thats the one I believe.

The chinese were counting pneumonia deaths in most cases early on, they were only counting cases of Confirmed, live, patients and at that would still list the clinical cause of death as pneumonia or organ failure. They dont confirm the dead, of which there are 100s or 1000s still in their homes. They have and still are lying about the severity.

Wuhan has 2 crematoriums - they brought in up to 10 more mobile incinerators to deal with backlog about 3 weeks ago, who knows how many since - so your wrong, that info is widely available if you look for it. Actually all the above is.

That's a discussion for the conspiracy theory forum in fairness.

It has no place here. This thread get's worse by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

At the moment 2 methods have been used. They both are based solely on actual data. There is no unreported cases included in the stats below

Flawed method
    Deaths / Total cases = 3% (this is trending up)

Accurate method
    Deaths / Closed cases = 9% (this is trending down)

It's not bloody accurate. How many times does it need to be pointed out to you.

at what time? the data is released daily
    Italy is implementing these measures today as we speak
    ...bit I love how you pull that 1% out of a hat

It's on up-to-date. It's actually expected to be below 0.8%

Here you go, mate.

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

It's on up-to-date. It's actually expected to be below 0.8%

Is that minus Hubei in China

This discussion has been closed.