Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    at what time? the data is released daily
    Italy is implementing these measures today as we speak
    ...bit I love how you pull that 1% out of a hat

I see the mods point a back and forward about stats turns off readers.

I think you're right on the money by the way but people will believe what they want regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

froog wrote: »
    the mortality is not the same at all, "regular" seasonal flu strains have mortality rates around 0.05-0.1 % versus 2% (estimated) of COVID-19. that's a pretty huge difference.

The mortality rate for the flu takes into account an estimate for unconfirmed infections. Covid does not. This number far exceeds confirmed infections.

How many times does this need to be pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

BloodBath wrote: »
    The mortality rate for the flu takes into account an estimate for unconfirmed infections. Covid does not. This number far exceeds confirmed infections. How many times does this need to be pointed out.

Careful, you'll have people on your case for using the f word in here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Strawberry Milkshake your post for the new thread was brill, I’m covered in tea from laughing :)

I’m 4/10 on the poll, feel myself, husband and smallies are well set if we need to quarantine, good immune systems due to hell of first years of crèche, good diet and try to be healthy (good hygiene practices too).
    But 8/10 thinking of my parents and grandparents, don’t think any of them would make it due to other health issues and age of grand parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

When does the new thread start at 800 pages or 10,000 or is 800 pages = 10,000 posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Please don't use unreliable sources like the WHO. We can't be sure of the numbers until they've been verified by a legit source like that lad on youtube whose mate in Iran said it's bad.

I thought you were saying it's too early to draw conclusions from the data. Why when the WHO says x / y = z do you think is more 'legit' or representative?
    Did they do a complicated model or did they divide the confirmed cases by the deaths? So is the data now accurate?

And do ye need someone on twitter to tell you that countries and cities have been shutting down in a way never before seen in history?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

When does the new thread start at 800 pages or 10,000 or is 800 pages = 10,000 posts?

Boards cant cope with any more posts than that in 1 thread.

I thought you were saying it's too early to draw conclusions from the data. Why when the WHO says x / y = z do you think it imply that is more 'legit', representative?
    Did they do a complicated model or did they divide the confirmed cases by the deaths?

And do ye need someone on twitter to tell you that countries and cities have been shutting down in a way never before seen in history?

I think another reason for this massive lock down is that once this thing gets properly loose... The only thing that will stop it is the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Long time lurker and have been steadily popping a few bits into the trolley for the past few weeks. Work frontline/face to face with general public. Call today from parent I have never met telling me they are too ill with 'something like a very bad chest infection' to make an appointment with me and their child tomorrow. Never been so unwell they said.. My pulse starting racing... would love to have asked had they been away recently! Not sure whether it's this thread or what 🙈 anyways am being extra vigilant in work with handwashing but think I'm getting labelled as a fruit loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

I am meant to be travelling to Rome tomorrow for a week, what should I do? Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

It's not bloody accurate. How many times does it need to be pointed out to you.

you have been pointed to the source of this several time, stop trolling
    Data analysis isn't your skill, people in here are tired of your stirring

darced wrote: »
    I am meant to be travelling to Rome tomorrow for a week, what should I do? Any advice appreciated.

Pray?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Watch out for pickpockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Not go

Go literally anywhere other than here for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Colosseum is worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Thínk you'd be mad personally. Also factor in if the virus explodes in Italy flights home may be cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    you have been pointed to the source of this several time, stop trolling
    Data analysis isn't your skill, people in here are tired of your stirring

I'm not stirring anything. I'm correcting your bull**** and others bull**** in this thread.

Data analysis is supposed to be your skill/job and you are useless at it.

Your mentality is basically this formula is posted on the WHO therefore it is 100% accurate.

I've already provided clear evidence why it's not which you choose to ignore.

As long as you keep posting crap I will keep responding to it.

There needs to be some sort of balance counter to the amount of crap being posted here as fact.

I see the mods point a back and forward about stats turns off readers.
    I think you're right on the money by the way but people will believe what they want regardless.

If people hate numbers they shouldn't throw them around and then complain if their numbers get questioned. Anyway, they believe what they want to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Does anyone know of any good forums not constantly derailed by people ignoring the massive actions being taken and so deep in denial that they can't see daylight?
    Because this is painful, this thread is wrecked with em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Can we close this thread before it gets to page 666 please

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I probably wouldn't go.

Because it if spreads to Rome like other places in Italy. You may be put in lockdown & be stuck in Italy for months if goes the way it has in China

Does anyone know of any good forums not constantly derailed by people ignoring the massive actions being taken and so deep in denial that they can't see daylight?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

I'm not stirring anything. I'm correcting your bull**** and others bull**** in this thread.

Data analysis is supposed to be your skill/job and you are useless at it.

Your mentality is basically this formula is posted on the WHO therefore it is 100% accurate.

I've already provided clear evidence why it's not which you choose to ignore.

As long as you keep posting crap I will keep responding to it.

stir stir stir :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

It's just a human reaction. Especially when we've live through so much relative peace and prosperity. And we've had the threat of a "pandemic" so many times that hasn't come to pass that if it does happen it's just too much of a shock to the system. This is why the only thing to wake people up is firm government actions - anything less and people will be too shellshocked and more or less get on with life until the cases rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I can't find one either.

They're all full of people who don't understand risk or who are an emotional mess.

I think Dr. John Campbell (https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching) is about the only consistently reliable source of information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

Keep a watch out for dog crap on the pavement.

I hear you mate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Go literally anywhere other than here for advice.

Hahaha, you reckon. Interested to hear other opinions other than the wifes :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

If the Minister for Health is reviewing public gatherings, such as the rugby match, what else could fall under any action taken? Surely gyms fall under public gathering, schools and offices, or would it just be to keep the Italians away? I didn't go to the gym today after reading this thread. Probably 5/10 concerned, doesn't help that I am diabetic :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement