Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

wakka12 wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?

Here:
    H.20v3 wrote: »
    Think I seen someone with the virus today

Couldn't be 100% it was a corona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I also saw someone with corona today.
    Unsure if it was genuine cuban or not.

wakka12 wrote: »
    South Korea's second largest city , Busan, reports 22 new cases
    Additionally 140 other new cases countrywide and one more death
    https://m.yna.co.kr/kr/contents/?cid=AKR20200224051500017

Now over 760 cases in South Korea

My god. I'm impressed that you've learnt Korean to keep abreast of this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

My god. I'm impressed that you've learnt Korean to keep abreast of this news.

Google translate is wonderful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Never saw this news item before 3 suspected Covid-19 cases in Afghanistan.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They released the figures there a second ago and then removed them

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231776208087633921

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hubei Update

New Deaths - 149 (so 1 in the rest of China)
    New Confirmed - 398 (so 11 in the rest of China)

Total Confirmed - 64,287
    Serious/Critical - 9,430

Make what you want of those figures - that's the biggest death toll in one day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Report on breaking news.ie this morning that we are now on" moderate alert" along with the rest of Europe, and a repeat/reinforcement of the HSE advice given since last month.

Glad to be stocked up; someone asked y'day that they would not have enough to last an emergency; but it will stand in good stead for any initial needs to subside and arrangements to be established.

Barking/wheezing here. Just my old enemy illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Boston mayor trying to get Sony along with others that pulled out of the PAX east convention in Boston to show up, claiming it creates fear and reinforces negative Asian stereotypes.

In a normal year people joke about the PAX flu, and this idiot is trying to use the race card to get that tourism bump back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I know it's been said before but the HSE page about this is pathetic. All about China even though the virus is now clearly spreading throughout the world from people who were never in China

Useless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Where's your peer reviewed evidence of this? If there was no influenza vaccine. The numbers may be very similar. The flu vaccines reduces the prevalence by 40-60%.

There is no vaccine and won't be for 12-18 months.

Give over with this peer reviewed nonsense. There's multiple posters including yourself,spouting delusional nonsense about magically reducing mortality rates based on nothing but hope. If we're relying on only peer reviewed scientific journals we'd have about as much information as we do vaccines. Stating that we should only take heed of peer reviewed journals is absolute clap trap, should we ignore all breaking news as it's not peer reviewed?

Folks were already warned about these bizarre demands of peer reviewed posts to back up statements. It's even more bizarre when being asked to back up easily verifiable statements on the stats widely available.

My evidence are literally all of the statement made to date in media sources on death and infection rates which are the only figures we have. if you have any concrete figures to back up the stupid flu comparisons, do it.

Flu is comparable in the sense that it's a virus and has some similar symptoms. The figures are not comparable or relevant however and the those who keep comparing the two are showing a complete lack of critical thinking. Flu is in every city, in every country and has been for hundreds of years, covid19 has been around for weeks, comparing the two with regard to infected and dates is futile, wrong and may lead to dangerous complacency to put it mildly, from idiots who believe the flu is worse based on completely irrelevant stats. How many people are going to go work thinking, ah sure I've flu symptoms but it's only covid19 which doesn't kill nearly as many people as flu, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Can't believe they held an election in Iran during this. What sort of mentality is that?

They should be taking the most extreme measures given it seems more virulent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Unearthly wrote: »
    I know it's been said before but the HSE page about this is pathetic. All about China even though the virus is now clearly spreading throughout the world from people who were never in China

At least give them a chance to catch up on the weekend's news in the Irish Times over their breakfasts first. Show some humanity.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Unearthly wrote: »

Useless

They’re having committee meetings where they crack open the likes of the NHS page, read it line for line, contemplate the consequences for attempting to match the measures taken, and suggest that sure wait and see might be better.

Speaking to a duty manager at a place that has had isolation going on for some residents returned from affected areas, the HSE advice on what to do has been nothing but contradictory and a sense that nobody wants to give a straight answer to those at actual point of need. (I stress no confirmed cases or anything, just isolating folks who’d travelled for the precautionary period.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Just a question on a potential Vaccine.

I seem to remember that Swine Flu started in April/May 2009 (I was pregnant at the time). But I thought that there was a Vaccine a few months later (maybe October?)

So why are they saying that it will be 12-18 months now ?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Report on breaking news.ie this morning that we are now on" moderate alert" along with the rest of Europe, and a repeat/reinforcement of the HSE advice given since last month.

Glad to be stocked up; someone asked y'day that they would not have enough to last an emergency; but it will stand in good stead for any initial needs to subside and arrangements to be established.

Barking/wheezing here. Just my old enemy illness.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ireland-and-other-eu-countries-told-to-be-on-alert-for-possible-coronavirus-cases-983599.html
    Two Irish people were on that flight but the Department of Health said late last night the there have been no confirmed cases of coronavirus here.

A statement from the National Public Health Emergency Team said that they have noted that the ECDE " now rates the risk of the occurrence of similar clusters of cases in other EU countries as moderate to high."
    The team met last night and the statement said they "will meet again on Tuesday, 25 Feb, to monitor the situation in Europe and globally, and to advance preparedness plans for Ireland."

Dr Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer in the Department of Health here, said:
    “Ireland has been working on its preparedness for Covid-19 (Coronavirus) since January.
    "We remain in a containment phase and, to date, there have been no confirmed cases of Covid-19 here.
    “However, clearly the international situation is evolving. We will work with counterparts at the ECDC and WHO over the coming days to fully assess and incorporate the implications of these developments into our approach in Ireland.
    “Our public health advice currently remains unchanged - anyone who may have been in contact with a person who has COVID-19, or who has been to mainland China in the last 14 days, is advised to contact HSE Live.

So they met last night but nobody could change the hse website from low to moderate/high.

And still it’s all about travel to China when it’s more likely that people would have travelled to Italy which we have numerous direct flights with on any given day.

• Advertisement

Some weird triangle of logic goin on here...

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231846620930695169

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Just a question on a potential Vaccine.

I seem to remember that Swine Flu started in April/May 2009 (I was pregnant at the time). But I thought that there was a Vaccine a few months later (maybe October?)

So why are they saying that it will be 12-18 months now ?

The swine flu vaccine was rushed through without adequate testing. And it looks like narcolepsy was a not uncommon side effect. Don't want to be making the same mistake again.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Some weird triangle of logic goin on here...

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1231846620930695169

Yeah,basically it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

Unconfirmed reports now coming in that coronavirus has been spotted in Ireland.

do you think you are funny and hilarious or have attention issues spreading your BS in this situation or why are you doing it?

really annoying, this is the third or so post of you with such nonsense and no back up. why are the mods not reacting to this and nobody else is calling this guy out on this??

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

4th Italian casualty, https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020/02/22/news/coronavirus_in_italia_aggiornamento_ora_per_ora-249241616/

Google translate says - Fourth victim in Italy: he is an 84-year-old man who was hospitalized in Bergamo for other diseases

Looks like virus is active in that hospital (Papa Giovanni XXIII" hospital of the Lombard city) any chance the disease is being caught within the hospital - majority of intensive care patients appear to be Lombardy (16/17)? Any detailed articles re same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

FTSE and other markets in free fall.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EFTSE?p=^FTSE

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

scotchy wrote: »
    FTSE and other markets in free fall.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EFTSE?p=^FTSE

Don't be so negative you just highlight the bad news look at the news page again there is a sale on at Penneys.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

haha!! listening to RTE radio here - talking about the Rugby, talking like the Italy game is gonna happen .... fools..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Don't be so negative you just highlight the bad news look at the news page again there is a sale on at Penneys.;)

I’m in full panic mode now, Penney’s saying their supply chain will be affected and may not have new lines in coming months!!! Won’t someone think of us who love Penney’s!!!!! Damn you corona, damn you to hell

;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement