Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

a) I know b) flu is a serious illness and anyone who doesn't treat it as such is an idiot. When most people say they had the flu, they had a cold c) based on what? d) you're comparing serious cases of a newly developing virus to something we've been handling for years. The vast majority of cases are most likely only producing mild symptoms.

I'm not saying this isnt something worth worrying about, it's clearly a serious illness. But to read some of the posts on here youd swear we were dealing with something closer to Ebola than the flu.

WHO chief said it was worse than Ebola in almost every aspect though. And how deadly it is not the only problem, if it transmits sufficiently more but has a lower death rate then overall more people die for example. Rightly or wrongly every government that gets a dose starts shutting things down, and very few lockdowns have been lifted, usually being continuously extended.

95% Fortune 1000 companies are reporting supply chain disruption as well. No big deal for now, but not forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Depends on the figures used...did a rough calculation using CDC figures for the states. Got this from a Google, but I am agree that it 0.1% would be high for influenza.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. That's much higher than the death rate linked to flu, which is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

Chances are the death rate from c19 is way lower than what people think.
    Many cases are going undetected or people are lying about it. The opposite happens with flu. Every second person who has a cold, claims to have the flu. Very few voluntarily stepping up with this new virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

In their non peer reviewed report

The study also suggested that human-to-human transmission might have already started in November.

Not. Sure if they are intentionally trying to confuse things or if that’s a serious suggestion that this virus has been around longer then we thought

WHO chief said it was worse than Ebola in almost every aspect though. And how deadly it is not the only problem, if it transmits sufficiently more but has a lower death rate then overall more people die for example. Rightly or wrongly every government that gets a dose starts shutting things down, and very few lockdowns have been lifted, usually being continuously extended.

95% Fortune 1000 companies are reporting supply chain disruption as well. No big deal for now, but not forever.

Worse than Ebola...Jesus wept...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Where’s the poster called Martina? She seems to have the inside scoop and her silence is worrying me.
    Holla! I've no scoop but I'll see if there's any update or see what people are saying tomorrow. None of my colleagues at work or in other hospitals were too worried yet.
    Opinions may change after the outbreak in Italy.
    I'd imagine we will close borders or take precautions like that when the UK do.
    Wonder who the 65 were and why they were chosen for testing.
    I would guess those 65 had flu like symptoms but more importantly i would say they also had recently been travelling internationally.

If cases do appear here, our ability to test suspected cases will be severely lacking. There is only one lab that facilitates testing in Ireland. They will likely not have the staff or resources to keep up. Testing may be limited to those displaying symptoms and not the asymptomatic population.

• Advertisement

Worse than Ebola...Jesus wept...
    I said in most aspects

Actually. Worry level is back down to 2/10 now that it was fake news that the 38 year old died. There are particular people posting on this thread who seem to be more interested in spreading fake information/panic than actually dealing in facts. Be very wary of everything in this thread unless it's peer reviewed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

A lot of 'not in my backyard' in the US in relation to housing evacuees and infected. Trump has cancelled another site in Alabama.

Viruses are people too.

Make America Virus Free Again.

I said in most aspects, talk to this lad:

Worse than Ebola ;)

Actually. Worry level is back down to 2/10 now that it was fake news that the 38 year old died. There are particular people posting on this thread who seem to be more interested in spreading fake information/panic than actually dealing in facts. Be very wary of everything in this thread unless it's peer reviewed.

It’s all about the drama.

• Advertisement

Worse than Ebola ;)

That's not what I said. There's multiple dimensions to an outbreak. He says they have to take this more serious than Ebola. I didn't say it's more deadly.

That's what happens when boards.ie policy is that people should just know better in this particular forum and there are no repercussions for spreading fake news, but there are infractions if you call one of them a clown for doing it.

Unconfirmed reports of a case in Belfast. 65-year-old had travelled through Korea in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Ebola has a fatality rate of up to 90% by the way, for anyone who thinks comparing the two in terms of impact to human life is remotely comparable.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Because a) this isn't flu b) if People associate this as just being a flu, they wont take it seriously c) it's not comparable in terms of mortality rates, not even close.

D) flu does not even come remotely close to putting that many/% people into a serious condition.

Where's your peer reviewed evidence of this? If there was no influenza vaccine. The numbers may be very similar. The flu vaccines reduces the prevalence by 40-60%.

Unconfirmed reports of a case in Belfast. 65-year-old had travelled through Korea in recent weeks.

I'm hearing its spread to at least quarter of a million people as of a minute ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm hearing its spread to at least quarter of a million people as of a minute ago

The voices in your head are not a reliable source!

Thank god for that hard border. #blessed

Ebola has a fatality rate of up to 90% by the way, for anyone who thinks comparing the two in terms of impact to human life is remotely comparable.

Can you interpret why the WHO Chief said this is more serious (which I have stated is not in terms of death rate)?

What's your take on how he compared them?

tuxy wrote: »
    The voices in your head are not a reliable source!

Who needs a reliable source on this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Can you interpret why the WHO Chief said this is more serious (which I have stated is not in terms of death rate)?

He never said that, he said it is more contagious.

I assume he was referring to the fact ebola is generally confined geographically while this isnt.

I suspect he would have said similar about any virus with the potential to spread globally.

It's interesting you only mentioned the fact you obviously weren't talking about death rate after being called out on the comparison.

Ebola would a bigger problem if it didn't kill people so quickly. It's too lethal for its own good.

If you don’t stop moving those goalposts you’ll put your back out. Worse than Ebola ;)

I assume he was referring to the fact ebola is generally confined geographically while this isnt.

I suspect he would have said similar about any virus with the potential to spread globally.

It's interesting you only mentioned the fact you obviously weren't talking about death rate after being called out on the comparison.

I have never hyped the death rate of this so I don't understand why you would think I was saying the death rate was comparable.

If Ebola is much easier contained than this, and this goes on to cause the problems it has worldwide compared to Ebola, more deaths, disruptions etc. overall it's worse.

If you limit it to just the health outlook for an individual of course they're obviously not comparable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭H.20v3

Think I seen someone with the virus today

Couldn't be 100% it was a corona

H.20v3 wrote: »
    Think I seen someone with the virus today

Couldn't be 100% it was a corona

Was there a slice of lime in the top?

Unconfirmed reports now coming in that coronavirus has been spotted in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

South Korea's second largest city , Busan, reports 22 new cases
    Additionally 140 other new cases countrywide and one more death
    https://m.yna.co.kr/kr/contents/?cid=AKR20200224051500017

Now over 760 cases in South Korea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Unconfirmed reports now coming in that coronavirus has been spotted in Ireland.

Where did you hear that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement