Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Cows back out yesterday till 2 pm out today till milking at 3.

65 cows calved in the last 36 hours, three sets of twins one was a first calver and all twins were heifers. Delighted with that.

First calver not gone to grass, on straw bed and oad milking with extra rations for the next week.

42% calved
    49% heifer calves

If ya don't mind me asking, how many cows have ya? Just from reading your recent posts it sounds like a serious operation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

If ya don't mind me asking, how many cows have ya? Just from reading your recent posts it sounds like a serious operation

Wasnt JP McManus asked something similar once about horses. He wouldnt be sure exactly how many ,but would know if one was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Could be the featured dairy farmer over on agriland today?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,166 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

ruwithme wrote: »
    Could be the featured dairy farmer over on agriland today?

No hes from Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

When folk ask me how many cows I’m milking I usually reply. “All of them!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭einn32

Was up visiting friends in Northern Victoria, Australia. It's desolate up there on the farm. No summer crops, no irrigation and reduced hours. Milk price is good but input costs are killing them. Most importnatly the price of water. Fonterra have made a lot of farmers angry looking for part of their previous payouts back from farmers following in the footsteps of Murray Golburn. Fonterra have a newly kitted out cheese plant but are struggling for milk for it! Seems to be a case of last man standing for dairy up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    When folk ask me how many cows I’m milking I usually reply. “All of them!”

The same number as last year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Jaysus I didn't know it was such a personal thing to ask how many cows a farmer had. I was just impressed by the numbers that were quoted for calving in 36 hours. Seemed savage work to keep on top of it all. I don't get the secrecy about it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I heard a very pretty girl, an only child, reply when asked how many acres her father had, said "40 acres, when the tide is out".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭straight

Jaysus I didn't know it was such a personal thing to ask how many cows a farmer had. I was just impressed by the numbers that were quoted for calving in 36 hours. Seemed savage work to keep on top of it all. I don't get the secrecy about it at all

Well, usually the big guys love to tell you how many they have. Makes the rest of us feel a little inadequate at times you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Nowadays it doesn't really matter how many cows you have.

In the quota years, anything from 80 up was a big herd - and if you had over 120 you were massive

Nowadays there are herds of 300, 400 or even 500 cows popping up everywhere - so a fella is only big until the next bigger herd pops up.

In today's dairy world of numbers numbers numbers - does the number even matter anymore

Panch18 wrote: »

In the quota years, anything from 80 up was a big herd - and if you had over 120 you were massive

Nowadays there are herds of 300, 400 or even 500 cows popping up everywhere - so a fella is only big until the next bigger herd pops up.

In today's dairy world of numbers numbers numbers - does the number even matter anymore

Indeed, who gives a fook.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

whelan2 wrote: »
    Indeed, who gives a fook.

I've herd some aspire to have 1,000 cows.

I'm not sure what'll happen though when they finally do get their chompers on that car tyre.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

How long does the genotyping take to come back for bull calves?.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

I'm not sure what'll happen though when they finally do get their chompers on that car tyre.?

‪Don’t Chase Happiness. Recognize It. https://www.becomingminimalist.com/recognizing-happiness/ via ‬

How long does the genotyping take to come back for bull calves?.

At least 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Panch18 wrote: »

Deep

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭mengele

I'd love to know what profit these a fellows with 3, 4 or 500 cows are taking out of the farm each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Deep

I know - couldn't believe I'd written it myself!! Think the late nights and early mornings are getting to me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

mengele wrote: »
    I'd love to know what profit these a fellows with 3, 4 or 500 cows are taking out of the farm each year.

As with the numbers who cares .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

mengele wrote: »

There taking out no profit, just a salary same as any business.

How much profit is made per cow is the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

The beauty of human kind is we are all different and all have different goals in life. The key is to enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The beauty of human kind is we are all different and all have different goals in life. The key is to enjoy it

And to leave humanity and the world in a better place than whence we found it..

And to leave humanity and the world in a better place than whence we found it..

Woo woo.. I never agreed to that...!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Well,........ have you reached your first thousand cows.
    .Btw, well done on saturday morning,didn't expect anything different.
    Nearly made me proud to be a farmer ........ and y'know the job that'd be

There taking out no profit, just a salary same as any business.

How much profit is made per cow is the question?

Profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,155 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A man in my part of the country in the 1960s was known as, 28 cows and a bull, as that was his regular boast.

Water John wrote: »
    A man in my part of the country in the 1960s was known as, 28 cows and a bull, as that was his regular boast.

I think it used to be how many milk cans you left out at the stand was the willy waving way back them

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think it used to be how many milk cans you left out at the stand was the willy waving way back them

Father tells me there was always one bollix with a load of them all half full. Creamery worker fooked him out of it one morning for his notions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

straight wrote: »
    Father tells me there was always one bollix with a load of them all half full. Creamery worker fooked him out of it one morning for his notions.

My father had loads of stories about the creameries back in the day. One lad was talking to the manager while the manager was sucking up the milk with the hose when the hose stopped sucking the milk. The manager lifted out the hose and there was a dead cat stopping the milk going into the hose. Still talking away to the farmer, the manager pulled off the cat and threw it into a corner and put the hose back in again and worked away.

Just as the lad was getting off the platform, the manager told him to put the fcuking cover on the tanks at night before he runs out of cats:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement