Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Nah quiet now sure ya couldn't travel with tankers out there. Was busy upto the start of these storms.

Good bit of reseeding on alright for when it dries in june or whatever :D
    Have to repair abit of my own reseed from last year aswell

We were milk recording this morning. I was saying next time she comes in 6 weeks the cows should be out . Snow showers here now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

straight wrote: »
    Teagasc recommend calves should drop by 70 to 80 euro per head this year. Teagasc fee is increasing though. Some joke.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/teagasc-green-acres-calf-to-beef-programme-year-1-eprofit-monitor-results/

for beef farmers, calf prices need to reduce is just stating facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

why does dairy calf price need to reduce,
    plenty of expense between when purchased as a calf to finish, how have they been skimped over

the amount of turns the friesian calf does in it life is amazing for an animal that leaves no money.. life cycle of the calf....dairy farmer calf rearing, transporter, mart fees, transporter, calf-beef farmer, transporter, mart fees, transporter, finisher beef farmer, transporter, factory, transporter, to the supermarket shelf

teagasc need to get their head of their arse if they are spouting nonsense that you need to get the calf for free, close to 80 euro profit out of ever ton of meal bought from mill, government tariff on fertiliser, diesel, never hear teagasc saying any of these costs need to be reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I had them on done deal and got no call, 50 euros for pick of the fresians here 2-3weeks old 100 for angus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

K.G. wrote: »
    We are competitive at the moment with anyone else inthe world fir producing milk.the dairy industry in alot of other countries is struggling at the minute due primarily to borrowing .our adoption of grass based production and our system of passing farms from one generation to the next has allowed us to be competitive. If however we move to a system of employed labour and high bought in feed we would quicky get sucked back into the pack.there is also a danger of dairy farmers being used for social engineering in rural areas.

??

• Advertisement

Maybe something like 2 or 3 farms in a partnership or profit sharing with different farms managing cows, replacements and fodder and supplying casual labour to the others at busy times.

Recipe for disaster, or for lining the pockets of the legal system.
    The GAEC system here has proven that beyond any doubt.

I would argue that the independent farms will always be there only much larger, and *MIXED* production. There I’ve said it!!

‘A cow, a sow, and an acre under plough’

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭straight

wrangler wrote: »

Why can't the price of beef increase. Or why can't the other inputs be given for nothing?

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I had them on done deal and got no call, 50 euros for pick of the fresians here 2-3weeks old 100 for angus

They will give you 500 for the friesians at 12 months then. Madness.

why does dairy calf price need to reduce,
    plenty of expense between when purchased as a calf to finish, how have they been skimped over

the amount of turns the friesian calf does in it life is amazing for an animal that leaves no money.. life cycle of the calf....dairy farmer calf rearing, transporter, mart fees, transporter, calf-beef farmer, transporter, mart fees, transporter, finisher beef farmer, transporter, factory, transporter, to the supermarket shelf

teagasc need to get their head of their arse if they are spouting nonsense that you need to get the calf for free, close to 80 euro profit out of ever ton of meal bought from mill, government tariff on fertiliser, diesel, never hear teagasc saying any of these costs need to be reduced

Don't forget tags and Bvd test, Ai straws, ai tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was in local mart the other day. Strong friesian bulls 2 months old to 250 euro. Angus same age to 310. Wtf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Recipe for disaster, or for lining the pockets of the legal system.
    The GAEC system here has proven that beyond any doubt.

I would argue that the independent farms will always be there only much larger, and *MIXED* production. There I’ve said it!!

‘A cow, a sow, and an acre under plough’

In the course of another thread you mentioned the "efficiency of home produced feeds".i cant get my head around this idea of home produced feeds being efficient
    Yeah in theory yes but in practice you setting up very small scale units to handle the different enterprise s.small scale inefficent machinery and structure s for handling it.nevermind the extra management involved.dont worry in my case it wasnt for the want of trying but farming land where there isnt a field where you can sink a plough without meeting rock the grass trumps it in terms of profit workload and suitability to the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A nice simple idea for washing calf feeding equipment, an ibc filled with water and 1% peracetic acid.
    https://twitter.com/cowsolutions/status/1230389989739057152?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

wrangler wrote: »

Maybe beef price needs to increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭alps

A nice simple idea for washing calf feeding equipment, an ibc filled with water and 1% peracetic acid.
    https://twitter.com/cowsolutions/status/1230389989739057152?s=19

That's 10 litres of paracetic acid per IBC...you'd want to be getting a lot of rinses out of that. Wonder how often the solution need to be replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Anyone have a ballpark figure on how much we’ll bred enough Fr heifer calves are worth? 2-3wks old

alps wrote: »
    That's 10 litres of paracetic acid per IBC...you'd want to be getting a lot of rinses out of that. Wonder how often the solution need to be replaced?

That paracetic acid is hard **** on the lungs. They spray that **** on fruit. Wouldn't like to be near it every day.

In the course of another thread you mentioned the "efficiency of home produced feeds".i cant get my head around this idea of home produced feeds being efficient
    Yeah in theory yes but in practice you setting up very small scale units to handle the different enterprise s.small scale inefficent machinery and structure s for handling it.nevermind the extra management involved.dont worry in my case it wasnt for the want of trying but farming land where there isnt a field where you can sink a plough without meeting rock the grass trumps it in terms of profit workload and suitability to the area.

I’m making the assumption that producing all my feed and fodder on farm is more sustainable than dragging gmo grains from half way around the globe.
    Am I missing something about gmo grains from the Americas??
    Muck from the animals has allowed me to just about reduce imported N to almost nothing...46u/ac per year. No purchased P & K. whatsoever.
    My system is a closed loop. Animal production supports feed production, and visa versa, iykwim.

Don’t believe everything you see in the Bord Bia ads, it may not be true...

There is a danger that dairy lads will become the money source for both tillage and beef farmers in that area.

Explain please.

It has been quite the opposite until lately that tillage and beef farmers were there to support the dairy man.
    The tillage man was supposed to supply straw (God forbid that you’d buy feed from him because imported crap is so much better), at below the cost of production.
    Likewise the beef man is supposed to take your calves, no matter what kind of quality, at a highly inflated price.

Sooner or later you reap what you sow. When something becomes unsustainable it eventually comes to a halt.

I’m making the assumption that producing all my feed and fodder on farm is more sustainable than dragging gmo grains from half way around the globe.
    Am I missing something about gmo grains from the Americas??
    Muck from the animals has allowed me to just about reduce imported N to almost nothing...46u/ac per year. No purchased P & K. whatsoever.
    My system is a closed loop. Animal production supports feed production, and visa versa, iykwim.

Don’t believe everything you see in the Bord Bia ads, it may not be true...

And at that system whats your breakeven price for production?.are you dependant on a seeming limitless supply of land at near zero value.my take would be that tillage farms would concentrate on growing feed and dairy farms would concentrate on minding and milking the cows rather than 2 lads having a little of both and doing with employed labour.as i aluded to i see this replacing bought/imported feed.

Explain please.

It has been quite the opposite until lately that tillage and beef farmers were there to support the dairy man.
    The tillage man was supposed to supply straw (God forbid that you’d buy feed from him because imported crap is so much better), at below the cost of production.
    Likewise the beef man is supposed to take your calves, no matter what kind of quality, at a highly inflated price.

Sooner or later you reap what you sow. When something becomes unsustainable it eventually comes to a halt.

Right now neither irish beef or tillage farmers can compete on the world stage.am i right in saying that or at.least i couldnt produce beef or grains at market prices.currently we are being told that dairy lads should give calves for free or give money with them to sustain beef production from those animals. Probably is the case so is that beef farmer dependent on the dairy farmer to make his sums add up.then you have alot of drystock farmers engaged with dairy farmers to contract rear the heifers.so obviously enough the contract rearer is dependent on the dairy farmer.and then on to tillage.given the way nitrates are heading it could be the case that you would see dairy lads renting on paper land the same as you have in pigs.my point is that the dairy business could be supporting other farmers in much the same way as quota allowed the transfer of money from dairy farms to other farms and it all adds up.maybe i wrong but i m just looking at the system as i see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

alps wrote: »

Every couple of days, iirc. When the water starts getting a bit unclean looking, I think. The feeders are washed well before going into the IBC so it could take a good few days before it's replaced especially with small numbers of feeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Every couple of days, iirc. When the water starts getting a bit unclean looking, I think. The feeders are washed well before going into the IBC so it could take a good few days before it's replaced especially with small numbers of feeders.

Peracetc when addd to water only has a shelf life of 24 hours then it's totally dissolved and evaporated

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Breaks down to hydrogen peroxide and vinegar and then to water oxygen and carbon dioxide. It a half strength after 24 hrs so supposed to be prepared as it's used

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Nice lovely sand bank with plenty grass on it the other side, well worth the damage which will be gone by may.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭alps

How would sodium hydrochlorite do in the IBC for sterilising?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

https://www.lenntech.com/processes/disinfection/chemical/disinfectants-sodium-hypochlorite.htm

You can buy gallon drums of Milton at the coop dunno how much they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Mooooo wrote: »
    https://www.lenntech.com/processes/disinfection/chemical/disinfectants-sodium-hypochlorite.htm

You can buy gallon drums of Milton at the coop dunno how much they are.
    I've been using Steri 7 Xtra for the last few years but is isn't cheap at c.€60 per gallon. Mixing rate is 1:50 and it is food safe so there is no smell or taint. I wash the teat feeders after every use in warm water with a squirt of washing up liquid, draw the liquid through the teats and rinse out. After night feeding I fill a clean 12ltr bucket with water add the Setri 7 Xtra and divide it between the 2 or 3 teat feeders depending on how many calves I'm rearing. There is enough solution to cover the teat outlets. I use a clean sponge to wipe around the inside of the feeder and draw some of the solution through the teats whilst rubbing it on the outside of them. That system has worked well for me over the years but it does take an extra 15/20mins every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

The wimen are great for the cleaning. I do mine once a week. Helps build up natural resistance like.

I’ll Just leave that here and run now...............

Base price wrote: »
    I've been using Steri 7 Xtra for the last few years but is isn't cheap at c.€60 per gallon. Mixing rate is 1:50 and it is food safe so there is no smell or taint. I wash the teat feeders after every use in warm water with a squirt of washing up liquid, draw the liquid through the teats and rinse out. After night feeding I fill a clean 12ltr bucket with water add the Setri 7 Xtra and divide it between the 2 or 3 teat feeders depending on how many calves I'm rearing. There is enough solution to cover the teat outlets. I use a clean sponge to wipe around the inside of the feeder and draw some of the solution through the teats whilst rubbing it on the outside of them. That system has worked well for me over the years but it does take an extra 15/20mins every night.

Would you go out on hire.that treatment once a week would do mine.i find hot water great myself but

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Would you go out on hire.that treatment once a week would do mine.i find hot water great myself but
    Hot water is fine but you also need a detergent to clean the fat solids from the surface of the teat feeders/cmr mixer/buckets as that is where the bacteria grows if given the opportunity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement