Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Never sure what to do with frozen berries.
    Tried juicing them once but didn't like all the seeds/bits

I usually put them into my porridge

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wonski wrote: »
    Is the boil notice still in force?

It's years now...
    I wondered if it will ever go away, as stuff could theoretically be frozen indefinitely and so turn up any time in the future. I never saw any estimate on how long it would be, or how it could be lifted.

There were warnings in the US in November
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/aldi-berries-hepatitis-a-recall-contamination-frozen-a9181336.html

A warning in NI in November too
    https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/irish-news/food-safety-authority-issues-warning-20981592

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Thargor wrote: »
    How often do chainsaws come into Lidl can any of the experts remember? Petrol ones not Lithium-ion.

(Yeah yeah sounds delicious etc...)
    About three times a year.
    My Dad just bought an angle grinder in Aldi for a tenner, it was in the reduced bin.
    He has a Petrol chainsaw and says don't touch the electric ones.

He thinks they were on sale about two weeks ago in Aldi so might be good time to check if reduced any in price.
    Keep the receipt safe because they come with a very good warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That's great value :) Prior to the boil notice warning I would have also used these in smoothies, but alas you can't now. As post above says, you could always make jam or a coulis.... or something similar

I bought a load of frozen berries and smoothie mixes yesterday.....can you not use them to make smoothies??? This is crazy if true - sure there's no point selling smoothie mixes if you can't use them to make what they are intended for...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Bouillabaisse.

The seafood mix is also great for a fish curry.

That's what I use it for. Makes a delicious curry ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

rubadub wrote: »
    I wondered if it will ever go away, as stuff could theoretically be frozen indefinitely and so turn up any time in the future. I never saw any estimate on how long it would be, or how it could be lifted.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/aldi-berries-hepatitis-a-recall-contamination-frozen-a9181336.html

https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/irish-news/food-safety-authority-issues-warning-20981592

In reality it only takes a minute, though.

Still not great.

Indefinitely doesn't exist in frozen food ;) Maybe in your chest freezer, but not commercially.

All those products are dated normally. You can't trust all processors and suppliers, though so it can take a while....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Apologies if this is off-topic, but I'm thinking about getting a vacuum sealer and Lidl have one on Thursday. Has anyone any experience with them? Are they all the same size, reliability, etc.? I don't mind paying a bit more for one on Amazon if needs be

Link: https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/healthy-kitchen/vacuum-sealer/p35157

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

xckjoo wrote:
    Apologies if this is off-topic, but I'm thinking about getting a vacuum sealer and Lidl have one on Thursday. Has anyone any experience with them? Are they all the same size, reliability, etc.? I don't mind paying a bit more for one on Amazon if needs be

I haven't used this one but I have most of my small appliances from Lidl and haven't had a problem with any of them. I have a very high opinion for the QC of whoever buys their electrics for the wider Lidl group.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

xckjoo wrote: »

Had one from Lidl some years ago.
    The machine worked fine but the plastic bags (not really bags, rather a plastic sheath on a roll) were rubbish and nearly always lost seal.

You could probably source better bags or rolls but I never did and gave away the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Space Dog

rubadub wrote: »

wonski wrote: »
    In reality it only takes a minute, though.

Still not great.

Indefinitely doesn't exist in frozen food ;) Maybe in your chest freezer, but not commercially.

All those products are dated normally. You can't trust all processors and suppliers, though so it can take a while....

I wonder what all the smoothie bars use? They use tons of frozen fruit and there's one in every shopping centre and food court. I'm sure they use imported berries all the time. How come they're allowed to continue selling smoothies if there's a risk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

xckjoo wrote: »

My OH got one. I've never used it, but he's never complained. I've never noticed a problem with the seals (though he'd do a double seal always).

He did make a point of buying plenty bags - as they don't come up for sale too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Space Dog wrote: »
    I wonder what all the smoothie bars use? They use tons of frozen fruit and there's one in every shopping centre and food court. I'm sure they use imported berries all the time. How come they're allowed to continue selling smoothies if there's a risk?

We use a lot of frozen berries where I work, our berry suppliers use a positive release system where before each batch of berries is lab tested before being sold

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Space Dog

th283 wrote: »
    We use a lot of frozen berries where I work, our berry suppliers use a positive release system where before each batch of berries is lab tested before being sold

Thanks, that's good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

Barry Johns sausages are back in Lidl - saw them today (CCnHC/BnCab/SpBg/CSCur)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

They had the Mozartkugeln before - I like them! Not quite Reber, but close enough. However, this time they also sell Rote Grütze. Selling that under the header "Alpenfest" when it is from the North of Germany is slightly puzzling.

Ok, I bought a pack of Mozartkugeln, and I'm utterly hooked. I would say they're even better than Reber's, they're utterly delicious. I'll be back later today to get more.
    If you can still find some in your local Lidl, buy them all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Shenshen wrote: »
    Ok, I bought a pack of Mozartkugeln, and I'm utterly hooked. I would say they're even better than Reber's, they're utterly delicious. I'll be back later today to get more.
    If you can still find some in your local Lidl, buy them all!

I've been having one a day with my morning coffee :o

For a not-recommend - In one way Lidl's camomile tea is better than most because the packaging is all cardboard, no plastic, so it's very recyclable. This has the unfortunate side-effect of making the camomile taste/smell distinctly minty because it comes in the same box as the mint tea. Personally I don't mind the slight mintyness, but if you hate mint, avoid this tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The gorgeous essence/Aura en rose by suddenly perfume is back in store. Stock up will u can!!!!!

As far as I can tell, this perfume only comes in once a year. More in the range also.

nc-composite-perfume1.jpg?strip=all&quality=100&w=750&h=500&crop=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Is it really like La Vie st Belle? (I LOVE that!)

Is it really like La Vie st Belle? (I LOVE that!)
    People do seem to think so

https://smell-a-likes.com/brand/lidl

I've tried a few of the others in the range and they've all been very nice - usually not as long-lasting as the more expensive perfumes, but very good considering they are about 95% cheaper :)

About those lidl perfumes - to me, the 'Esplendor' is very like J'adore, and while I can't say which other perfumes they smell like, the 'Aguamarina' (cool/water/melon scents) and 'Elle' (warm/rose/slightly powdery) are both really good and just as important, they stay smelling nice - not like some cheap perfumes back in the day that started off really good but after an hour started to smell terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I got a thing through the door with some lidl vouchers on it, 10 euro off a 50 euro shop in lidl. Seems cool, wondering if anyone else got it? This was in the Drogheda area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭caviardreams

B0jangles wrote: »
    About those lidl perfumes - to me, the 'Esplendor' is very like J'adore, and while I can't say which other perfumes they smell like, the 'Aguamarina' (cool/water/melon scents) and 'Elle' (warm/rose/slightly powdery) are both really good and just as important, they stay smelling nice - not like some cheap perfumes back in the day that started off really good but after an hour started to smell terrible.

I haven't seen these in my lidl at all - are they with the other women's cosmetics / face cream etc?

I haven't seen these in my lidl at all - are they with the other women's cosmetics / face cream etc?

They come on their own little stand which (going my my own Lidl) might be at the end of the cosmetics aisle, might be beside the front door with some valentines specials, or might be right down at the back at the end of one of the long aisles.

fake edit: bpdPvh6.jpg
    It'll look something like the above - that's a pic of an older version of the range :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

They were up by the checkout nearest the door in my Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What a classy looking display :D

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Do Lidl do their own version of pot noodles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭Kat1170

_Godot_ wrote:

Not sure but Aldi definitely do, called Snack Noodle. Usual flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

_Godot_ wrote:

They do indeed. Only saw chicken and mushroom flavour yesterday though. That was lild Marley.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In addition to the advertised 25% wine of the week (St Emilion Bordeaux) there's a bunch in my local LIDL D3 with 25% off including Italian Barolo, French Macon Villages white, Spanish Rioja white, Argentinian Malbec, Australian Pinot Noir, Shiraz and both the Connawarra and basic Cabernet Sauvignon.

The Barolo and Bordeaux are €11.99 and the rest are €6 - €7. The basic Australian Cabernet Sauvignon is €4.79.

The Bordeaux is lovely, the Barolo at €11.99 seems too good to be true...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Barolo for 11 quid?!

Advertisement