Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,935 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is more of a seeking a recommendation post - looking for options for burger buns in LIDL.
    Doesn't have to be actual burger buns, rolls or other bread could do the job - can switch to steak sandwich style, for example.

I remember getting the brioche buns last summer and was disappointed.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This is more of a seeking a recommendation post - looking for options for burger buns in LIDL.
    Doesn't have to be actual burger buns, rolls or other bread could do the job - can switch to steak sandwich style, for example.

I remember getting the brioche buns last summer and was disappointed.

They do fresh buns in the bakery, is that still operating these days?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    They do fresh buns in the bakery, is that still operating these days?

Not sure actually - thought last time I looked it was operating, but everything was already bagged up. So not good time to be browsing unless you were already familiar with the product.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They had pork belly strips (cut like chops, basically) today which I got on a whim

Not sure what to do with them now, though - won't be able to cook it like a solid piece of pork belly. Slow oven cook and then grill probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

my OH marinates them in lovely chinese style sauce and then in the oven for 50 mins and serve with noodles, always yummy....You dont need to do much more as the flavour of pork belly is so good..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

snowgal wrote: »
    my OH marinates them in lovely chinese style sauce and then in the oven for 50 mins and serve with noodles, always yummy....You dont need to do much more as the flavour of pork belly is so good..

Do you buy the chinese style sauce in Lidl or make it from scratch? (I’m on the lookout for some nice marinade sauces...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Comerman

L1011 wrote: »
    They had pork belly strips (cut like chops, basically) today which I got on a whim

Not sure what to do with them now, though - won't be able to cook it like a solid piece of pork belly. Slow oven cook and then grill probably.
    I usually marinade them in soy garlic brown sugar and onion powder and five spice powder and cook in a 220c oven until sticky and crispy.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I think these are great.

Simplest solution is to cook them in an oven at about 140C fan for a couple of hours. Sprinkle with crystal salt before cooking. Baste once or twice.

Get them right and the fat goes wonderfully fluffy :) and the meat is soft and good. Hard to overcook the fat, but keep an eye on the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

I cut them up into thin slices, marinate them with Chinese 5spice or Thai 7spice powder with a lil extra chilli powder, ginger n garlic paste, salt - dust them in flour/cornflour and deep fry them - crispy on the outside and soft on the inside - perfect with a cold beer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Debub wrote: »
    Got this as well - nice and painful :-)

Very much a "chemical" heat to it. Typically what you get when they add chilli extract rather than just using chillies to make a hot sauce. I much prefer Mic's chilli sauces. Still, it was nice and cheap. :)

Did anyone try the Eridanous Greek range gyros-flavoured crisps? Thought they were amazing but only picked up one bag.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    Very much a "chemical" heat to it. Typically what you get when they add chilli extract rather than just using chillies to make a hot sauce. I much prefer Mic's chilli sauces. Still, it was nice and cheap. :)

Did anyone try the Eridanous Greek range gyros-flavoured crisps? Thought they were amazing but only picked up one bag.

You are absolutely correct - after suing it a few times realised that it doesn't actually have any flavour, just heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Debub wrote: »
    You are absolutely correct - after suing it a few times realised that it doesn't actually have any flavour, just heat.

What was your case against the defendant?

LIDL to invest €50 million in Irish suppliers including Rye River and West Cork distillers.
    They will be promoting the products in their stores across Europe.
    https://www.shelflife.ie/lidl-ireland-invests-e50m-in-irish-drinks-industry/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

Was looking through old photos and spotted this. Won trolley dash a few years ago! I'd recommend most of it! Was only allowed pick up two of any one item and had my route well planned! The beer and wine was given as an extra couldn't pick up anything in that section. :(

516968.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ryath wrote: »
    Was looking through old photos and spotted this. Won trolley dash a few years ago! I'd recommend most of it! Was only allowed pick up two of any one item and had my route well planned! The beer and wine was given as an extra couldn't pick up anything in that section. :(

516968.JPG

Oooh it looks like all fancy Christmas stuff! The pale hams are gorgeous and really good value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Anyone recommend any burgers from Lidl? Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

PopTarts wrote: »
    Anyone recommend any burgers from Lidl? Thanks

The premium (angus, I think?) ones are decent, the occasional ones with cheese or other stuff already in the burger can be good if you like the flavourings. Never tried the basic range.

I now make my own from the 18% fat mince they always have for very little and prefer that; but there is mess involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The premium (angus, I think?) ones are decent, the occasional ones with cheese or other stuff already in the burger can be good if you like the flavourings. Never tried the basic range.

I now make my own from the 18% fat mince they always have for very little and prefer that; but there is mess involved!
    You just squeeze the mince into a burger shape or you add your own seasonings etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CornettoQueen

The new BBQ Chinese style chicken breasts are delicious.

Thargor wrote: »
    You just squeeze the mince into a burger shape or you add your own seasonings etc?

Make to shape, then salt/pepper on the surface just before grilling. My partner wouldn't be too offended by some grated onion and/or breadcrumbs but I feel that's a meatball not a burger. Everyone has their own preferences. And the meatballs he makes are good, as meatballs :pac:

If you salt too much too early you make a burger-shaped beef sausage

I do intend to buy a burger mould at some point so its quicker to do them in bulk; have a many hundred quid Nisbets order waiting to go in already though.

• Advertisement

Did the belly strips this evening

Brushed over a mix of soy, mirin, rice vinegar, five spice, ginger and a drop of sesame oil, wrapped in tinfoil and gave it two hours at 140; then brushed over barbeque sauce and grilled at full whack for a few minutes each side to get it charred

Worked very well in buns

What was your case against the defendant?

that it was kinda artificial - Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Technique

The coffee beans from Zambia and Ethiopia in the brown paper bags are very nice. They're only €1.99 and a lot nicer than more expensive coffee beans that I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Technique wrote: »
    The coffee beans from Zambia and Ethiopia in the brown paper bags are very nice. They're only €1.99 and a lot nicer than more expensive coffee beans that I've tried.

What weight are the bags?

Sounds awfully cheap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Technique

02ea285737abf38f5e8dee1a398bf153.jpg

227g

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

12” pizza bases x 2 (fresh in the chiller cabinet) are great for €1.99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

vicwatson wrote: »
    12” pizza bases x 2 (fresh in the chiller cabinet) are great for €1.99

Are they good when cooked ? Checking if they can replace hassle to make fresh dough everytime

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Are they good when cooked ? Checking if they can replace hassle to make fresh dough everytime

Yes they are good. Not as good as homemade dough I’d imagine but that’s subjective. Direct on to the Middle shelf of oven

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I quite like the frozen calamari, think they were a special a while ago but still in stock. 6/7 mins in the airfryer and they are done. I have had much worse in restaurants and less than 2 euro for a bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Alesto chili coated peanuts are amazing.

Advertisement