Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish who are more famous/acclaimed abroad than here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

My bloody valentine

Yes. I had no idea they were Irish for years, or least started here (half the band were British by the time they hit it big admittedly)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The original MBV singer is now a successful writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Snotty wrote: »
    Wogan was despised by a large amount of the Irish who emigrated to the UK in the 70s and 80s. I know this from working in Irish pubs in the UK in my youth and whenever he came on the TV the conversation would start on how he sold out to be British.
    I kind of agreed when the only time he was heard of in public in Ireland was when the Queen visited.

David Feherty, Golfer from Co. Down, was probably best described as an average European Tour Pro, but since retiring from the sport now commentates and has his own golf shows on CBS and now NBC, definitely more famous in the US than Ireland.

Oh yeah Wogan should have been up in some pub on the Kilburn rd wth the bar stool republicans roaring out A nation once again.
    Do these gob****es say the same about John Murphy, Sean Mulryan and all the other Irish builders who were ruunning big developments in England or even lads like Liam Brady , McCoy who in their own way became very popular.
    The Irish pissheads in England who despised Wogan would be still pissheads if they had stayeed in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Some of this is just time passing. When she was big she was big here as anywhere.

Enya is elite abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

darkdubh wrote: »
    Well they are German. Their Irish links are tenuous.
    Irish-American actually, back to Famine times, and a large brood like the Osmonds. Huge in Germany. They did live here for a while though. I saw them once do a street performance and really not much to say! Very hippie and really more "Celtic" than Irish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Craig Doyle - he seemed to be on everything when I lived in the UK.

Since moving to Ireland I can't recall seeing or hearing him on Irish media. Have seen him doing rugby presenting on ITV though. I was surprised to read that he has shows on RTE and lives in Wicklow, took him to be an adopted Brit. Then again I hardly ever watch or listen to RTE.

RTE Shafted him, unfairly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Sheamus the WWE star who's made a good career in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

late great Dave Allen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

vriesmays wrote: »
    Kenneth Branagh - film director who never gets a mention here. Instead the dumb Irish rant on and on about lesser talents like Lenny Abrahamson, Jim Sheridan and Neil Jordan.

Branagh has lived in England since he was a child and came from an Ulster Protestant background. I doubt he describes himself as Irish.

Admiral William Brown from Foxford, Co. Mayo

Or Guillermo Brown as he’s known in Argentina, as he founded the Argentinian Navy, gaining the respect and admiration of the Argentine people for winning many great naval battles.

He is a national hero of Argentina with many schools, colleges, streets, buildings, squares, an Antarctic base, 4 football clubs, and of course a Naval destroyer (as well as a class of destroyer) all named after him.

Any time Ireland play Argentina in the rugby now, they play for The Admiral Brown Cup

You can also add Daniel Florence O'Leary from Cork who served as Simon Bolivar's aide-de-camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Branagh has lived in England since he was a child and came from an Ulster Protestant background. I doubt he describes himself as Irish.

he certainly does describe himself as irish.
    "I feel Irish. I don’t think you can take Belfast out of the boy".

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2019/0213/1029302-as-you-like-it-kenneth-branagh-shakespeare-and-irishness/

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Slurpy Finnegan

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

You're only Irish if your're born here, all your antecedents were and never leave the country. (sarcasm)

On the subject of Wogan, I always found it a bit odd how much it was discussed that he'd left Ireland for some faraway clime, he was absolutely loaded to the gills and a 45 minute shuttle flight away, he could do his show, fly to Dublin, have his lunch in the Shelbourne Hotel and be home for tea hours later, anyone would think he was working 'on the lump' in Cricklewood Broadway or had left for New Zealand.

If you're Neil Prendeville don't do this too often, even if you can afford to.

A wealthy New York lawyer by the name of John Quinn whose philanthropy is well known to anybody who studied the literary revivals in Irish and in English here a century ago. He was a vital financial benefactor of Yeats and a key financial supporter behind establishing the Abbey Theatre. Outside of Ireland, however, he was a huge patron of modernist writers and artists who subsequently became very famous - TS Eliot, Ezra Pound, James Joyce and many others.

He had no heirs and, dying at the age of 54 in 1924, left everything to public libraries and museums.

'He knew them all'
    James Joyce's indebtedness to a New York lawyer is not widely known, but came to public attention late last year when the National Library purchased part of the writer's Ulysses manuscript. The envelope carrying the "Circe" episode of the book was addressed to John Quinn, an Irish-American who over a period of some 20 years provided financial support, not just for Joyce, but many other authors and artists as well. Although a very fine biography of the lawyer was published in 1968, his reputation has faded since then, despite the assessment of one subsequent academic that "without Quinn the history of modern literature would not only have been different, it would have been poorer." John Quinn was born in Ohio in 1870, the oldest son of Irish immigrants; his mother was from Co Cork, his father, who ran a successful bakery business, from Co Limerick...

John Quinn (collector)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

oh no not that can of worms again.....people from up north can describe themselves as irish, northern irish or british which ever way they feel about it

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Patches O'Houlihan.

fryup wrote: »
    oh no not that can of worms again.....people from up north can describe themselves as irish, northern irish or british which ever way they feel about it

They can if they want. But if they act more like a Brit, I will think of them as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

blinding wrote: »
    Was it from the horses mouth ?

Absolutely!

Can't get more authoritative than Boards, now can you? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Edgware wrote: »
    Oh yeah Wogan should have been up in some pub on the Kilburn rd wth the bar stool republicans roaring out A nation once again.
    Do these gob****es say the same about John Murphy, Sean Mulryan and all the other Irish builders who were ruunning big developments in England or even lads like Liam Brady , McCoy who in their own way became very popular.
    The Irish pissheads in England who despised Wogan would be still pissheads if they had stayeed in Ireland

Why would Wogan be a sellout for working in England when these guys were emigrants *checks notes* working in England

In fact Wogan helped Irish people to be not just associated with the Ira back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Eoin Morgan is another one.

• Advertisement

Lord Haw Haw ; William Joyce .

Who certainly had Irish connections even though he considered himself a Brit .

Born in US, moved to Ireland as a child. Went to a Jesuit school in Galway. Was a committed and vocal Unionist during The Troubles of 1919-21, so much so that the IRA reputedly wanted to shoot him.

Lied about his American birth to get a British passport. Then rescinded it and went to Germany where he broadcast Nazi propaganda in English during the war.

Captured at war's end and, despite the fact that he was only British because of a false declaration, they decided he was British enough to have committed treason and strung him up.

He wasn't a nice man. Or a good one. But what he got was hardly justice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Born in US, moved to Ireland as a child. Went to a Jesuit school in Galway. Was a committed and vocal Unionist during The Troubles of 1919-21, so much so that the IRA reputedly wanted to shoot him.

Lied about his American birth to get a British passport. Then rescinded it and went to Germany where he broadcast Nazi propaganda in English during the war.

Captured at war's end and, despite the fact that he was only British because of a false declaration, they decided he was British enough to have committed treason and strung him up.

He wasn't a nice man. Or a good one. But what he got was hardly justice.
    Heard a lot worse cases of miscarriages of justice .

He’d down my list , to spend too much time worrying for him .

Heard a lot worse cases of miscarriages of justice .

He’d down my list , to spend too much time worrying for him .

First they came for the Fascists, but I didn't spend too much time worrying for them because I wasn't a Fascist.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

First they came for the Fascists, but I didn't spend too much time worrying for them because I wasn't a Fascist.........

The IRA wanted to kill him because he was knocking around with and probably working with British army intelligence officers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

James Hoban, architect of the white house.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Peter Sutherland. He was the youngest attorney general in Ireland who went on to become a major power player in Europe.
    Chairman of BP, Goldman Sachs, AIB, RBS among others.

Member of the trilateral commision and Bilderberg group. Instrumental in forming the WTO, was high up in the UN and youngest ever European commisioner.
    He was actually the guy who ordered Cowan and Lenihan to bail out AIB.
    Has been called the 'father of globalism', owner of 'the worlds most impressive CV' and the 'most influential Irishman in history'.
    But still relatively unknown here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

I read an interview recently where he said he's Irish! I must dig that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Rufeo wrote: »
    I read an interview recently where he said he's Irish! I must dig that up.

I posted a link to it earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

He was actually the guy who ordered Cowan and Lenihan to bail out AIB.

I believe that was to serve his own “interests” though.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Saoirse Ronan?

Advertisement