Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish who are more famous/acclaimed abroad than here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The various Nolan sisters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Conor McGregor
    What a Gobdaw he is ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Lost Art did a podcast about some of the musicans bigger outside Ireland. A lot have been mentioned here.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/enemy-radio/lost-art/e/69718881

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Eoin Morgan the turncoat

I think that's a bit unfair. He's had a great career playing professional sport that he loves. He wouldn't have the same opportunities if he'd stayed with Ireland.

I just think it's not as cut and dried as just being patriotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Grayditch wrote: »
    Lost Art did a podcast about some of the musicans bigger outside Ireland. A lot have been mentioned here.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/enemy-radio/lost-art/e/69718881

Kevin shields?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Shane Lynch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭its_steve116

El Tarangu wrote: »
    The various Nolan sisters

Are they from Blackpool in England or Blackpool in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Are they from Blackpool in England or Blackpool in Cork?

from Dublin. they moved to Blackpool in england. colleen is the only one not born in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One of the Nolans has passed away, caused by cancer TMK. Recently two more have had cancer diagnosis.

Water John wrote: »
    One of the Nolans has passed away, caused by cancer TMK. Recently two more have had cancer diagnosis.
    They are having it hard. God Bless Em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Rae Garvey is a superstar in Germany and is unknown in Ireland

Sorolla wrote: »
    Rae Garvey is a superstar in Germany and is unknown in Ireland
    William Joyce was also big in Germany !

blinding wrote: »
    William Joyce was also big in Germany !

even bigger after they stretched his neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

In a way Daniel O'Connell fits the bill. While his exertions in the cause of extending the franchise and repeal of the Union are well recognised here, he had a second, equally important string to his bow which most Irish people seem to know little or nothing about. He was in his time one of the foremost opponents of slavery, and his principled opposition to it cost him considerable support among Irish-Americans, including much-needed financial support. His contribution to abolition is well recognised in America where he occupies a place in the abolitionist pantheon on a par with Frederick Douglass and William Wilberforce.
    Despite the fact that he took a bunch of destitute, illiterate peasants off their knees and made a nation out of them, he is demonized by Irish so-called "republicans" because, like John Hume, he abhorred violence, having seen it at first hand in France where a bloodthirsty elite hijacked the revolution commenced by the poor, and also because, recognising economic exigencies at a time when emigration was becoming a huge reality in Ireland, he encouraged people to drop the Irish language in favour of English. Interest in language revival had barely been conceived at the time, and it didn't greatly exercise a starving populace.
    Our great " patriots" would prefer to honour a slaver like John Mitchell.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Vnv nation

Ronan Harris Is a Dub and They have played huge concerts in Europe

Check out the song Illusion
    It’s majestic

https://youtu.be/MVHT-EJyqGI

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Oberkon wrote: »
    Vnv nation

Ronan Harris Is a Dub and They have played huge concerts in Europe

Check out the song Illusion
    It’s majestic

https://youtu.be/MVHT-EJyqGI

Believe it or not I was just trying to remember the band name.
    Roisin Murphy hasn't been mentioned yet. Moloko were very good and has a few decent solo albums

even bigger after they stretched his neck.
    I think he was always disappointed that he did not reach the Heights he Thought he Deserved ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

tigerboon wrote: »
    Believe it or not I was just trying to remember the band name.
    Roisin Murphy hasn't been mentioned yet. Moloko were very good and has a few decent solo albums

The Germans like their electronic acts —and why not !

blinding wrote: »
    I think he was always disappointed that he did not reach the Heights he Thought he Deserved ! !

the higher you reach the further you have to fall. somewhere between 6 and 8 feet in his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Eoin Morgan the turncoat

Eoin Morgan's mother is English. The rules allowed him to declare for England. Your problem is with the rules, not with Eoin Morgan.
    Would you call any of the following turncoats: rugby players C. J. Stander, Bundee Aki; hockey player Elena Tice; footballers Mark Lawrenson, John Aldridge, Mick McCarthy, Andy Townsend, Jason McAteer, Steven Reid, Chris Hughton, Gary Breen?
    Unless you are consistent in also calling all of these turncoats your post can only be seen as being based on tribalism of the kind you sometimes see on football terraces in deprived parts of England or, more charitably, perhaps you haven't thought this through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Looks like the Pillow Queens will be on this list very soon.
    https://twitter.com/PillowQueeens/status/1347498426729160708

CNN reporter Donie O'Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Dr Strangely Strange. Hippy folk rockers from the late 60s/early 70s who are much better known in Britain than here.

Same story with Mellow Candle and arguably Tir Na Nog (two similar bands from same era).

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

CNN reporter Donie O'Sullivan

Think you have it the wrong way around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

shawki wrote: »

Well, I 'liked' the suggestion, because I was going to respond : "Who?" , because when I read about the guy today, that was my first thought. So, millions of people in Amerikay would have seen his name on the news, before I ever did. Naturally, if I haven't heard of him, then no one has. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Barack Obama would be one that comes to mind.

Barack Obama's ancestry says he's 1/16th of Irish descent .. several other countries could claim him too, if they wished :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, I 'liked' the suggestion, because I was going to respond : "Who?" , because when I read about the guy today, that was my first thought. So, millions of people in Amerikay would have seen his name on the news, before I ever did. Naturally, if I haven't heard of him, then no one has. :pac::pac:

Well you can see him on the LLS RTE tonight, Caherciveen man. He does embedded reporting of the alt right groups. The accent disarms them and he gets them to talk.

shawki wrote: »

what do i have the wrong way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

I hadn’t heard of him before yesterday when I tuned into CNN to watch the fun and games in Washington.

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    Eoin Morgan's mother is English. The rules allowed him to declare for England. Your problem is with the rules, not with Eoin Morgan.
    Would you call any of the following turncoats: rugby players C. J. Stander, Bundee Aki; hockey player Elena Tice; footballers Mark Lawrenson, John Aldridge, Mick McCarthy, Andy Townsend, Jason McAteer, Steven Reid, Chris Hughton, Gary Breen?
    Unless you are consistent in also calling all of these turncoats your post can only be seen as being based on tribalism of the kind you sometimes see on football terraces in deprived parts of England or, more charitably, perhaps you haven't thought this through.

Most of those did not move from representing one country to another.

Rugby; Aki never represented New Zealand. CJ Stander represented South Africa up to u20 but was considered too small to make the full international side.

Hockey; Tice only ever represented Ireland

Football; Ray Houghton didn't get a call up to Scotland so pursued the Irish root (pun intended)

Mark Lawrenson was knocking around the lower leagues when Ireland came calling. It was his international performances that got him his move to Liverpool.

Mick McCarthy and Kevin Kilbane have spoken at great lengths about their upbringing and always seeing themselves as Irish. Playing for England was never their goal.

How many of the footballers represented another country?

Eoin Morgan is different as he represented Ireland and decided to jump ship.

Advertisement