Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish who are more famous/acclaimed abroad than here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I believe that was to serve his own “interests” though.

The globalists made him do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Patches O'Houlihan.

The greatest coach in any code, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

James Hoban, architect of the white house.

Heard before that is was not originally white (limestone or some other natural material) but there was fire which meant that it has been painted white ever since to hide the damage

Was Henry Kelly of Going For Gold fame mentioned here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Chaim Herzog, former president of Israel, was born and raised in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Dr. Colossus

Ambrosio O'Higgins, born in Sligo in 1720. He became an important figure in the Spanish empire. Governor of Chile and Viceroy of Peru.

Ironically his son Bernardo O'Higgins became one of Chile's founding fathers, leading it's revolt against the Spanish Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Magherafelt singer-songwriter JC Stewart has just had a top 40 hit in Belgium (Flanders); he's not quite as popular over here on this side of the English Channel.

I actually saw him at The Ruby Sessions back in February.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

William Brown

Born in Mayo, founder of the Argentine navy. There is a statue of him in Dublin but in Argentina he is considered a national hero with more than 1,000 places are named after him. Part of the modern full dress uniform of Argentine Admirals is a replica of his sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Denny61

Jonnie logan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

AnneMarie Waters is Making Great Waves in Britain. Feisty Lady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Caitriona Balfe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I feel like Gilbert O'sullivan is bigger abroad than here

Kilboor wrote: »
    I feel like Gilbert O'sullivan is bigger abroad than here
    Born in Britain I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

blinding wrote: »
    Born in Britain I think.

He was born in Waterford...

Dub Ste wrote: »
    He was born in Waterford...
    Twas a fiercely Pro-English city at one time. Didn’t they do some fierce kissing up to English Royals somewhere in History = West English.

Anyway he must not feel much connection to the old sod. Is he still alive ? He must have made a lot of money because he is not back milking the cash cow like the rest of the has-beens !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Denny61 wrote: »
    Jonnie logan

In flanders as well, as it happens; I've seen him on the telly there around Christmas time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Magherafelt singer-songwriter JC Stewart has just had a top 40 hit in Belgium (Flanders); he's not quite as popular over here on this side of the English Channel.

I actually saw him at The Ruby Sessions back in February.
    Here's the song

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

blinding wrote: »
    Anyway he must not feel much connection to the old sod. Is he still alive ? He must have made a lot of money because he is not back milking the cash cow like the rest of the has-beens !

He's living in Jersey (another one of the controversial "British Isles"), according to Wikipedia. He had a top 20 album in the UK charts two years ago!

He's living in Jersey (another one of the controversial "British Isles"), according to Wikipedia. He had a top 20 album in the UK charts two years ago!
    The boy did well ! What did them Waterford Hoolies do to upset him ? ?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think GOS was ripped off a good bit in his earlier days, like most in the business. Great turn of tune and lyric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Water John wrote: »
    I think GOS was ripped off a good bit in his earlier days, like most in the business. Great turn of tune and lyric.

he sued his record company and won a pretty decent payout

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good. The problem with the suing is that you're stuck until the case is resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Peter Sutherland. He was the youngest attorney general in Ireland who went on to become a major power player in Europe.
    Chairman of BP, Goldman Sachs, AIB, RBS among others.

Member of the trilateral commision and Bilderberg group. Instrumental in forming the WTO, was high up in the UN and youngest ever European commisioner.
    He was actually the guy who ordered Cowan and Lenihan to bail out AIB.
    Has been called the 'father of globalism', owner of 'the worlds most impressive CV' and the 'most influential Irishman in history'.
    But still relatively unknown here.

Peter Sutherland was one of the most feted men in political circles in Ireland. Very well known individual. I was at event he spoke at a couple of years before he passed away; the great and the good were behaving as if the Pope was arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Water John wrote: »
    Good. The problem with the suing is that you're stuck until the case is resolved.

he was. he couldn't record for 5 years.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Peter Sutherland was one of the most feted men in political circles in Ireland. Very well known individual. I was at event he spoke at a couple of years before he passed away; the great and the good were behaving as if the Pope was arriving.
    A Traitor to Ireland . Its unfortunate he is Dead. If he was Alive , He should be Executed for Treason Against Ireland !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kevin shields

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This guy Rae Garvey is from Tralee. He moved to Germany in his 20s, became a star and sells out arenas there on the regular. If one in a thousand Irish people could tell you who he was I'd be very surprised. Edit: Just seen he was mentioned earlier in the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Lord Kitchener

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Conor McGregor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

William Brown

Born in Mayo, founder of the Argentine navy. There is a statue of him in Dublin but in Argentina he is considered a national hero with more than 1,000 places are named after him. Part of the modern full dress uniform of Argentine Admirals is a replica of his sword.

he was born in foxford. hardly a year goes by without some Argentinian delegation arriving in Foxford for another commemoration.

recently the Argentinian ambassador to Ireland died, and such was her dedication to the memory of Brown that she had requested that she be buried in f oxford, and so she was. it was during lockdown so there was very little fanfare.

Advertisement