Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish who are more famous/acclaimed abroad than here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

He was feted as much here by the literati as abroad, and as condemned by conservatives as abroad. Ireland actually had a more robust intellectual or literary class at the time than it has now.

Ulysses was banned until 1936 in the U.K. and partially banned in the US. The people who feted James Joyce were the same type here as abroad.

( And the question is well known not well liked.)

Snotty wrote: »
    Wogan was despised by a large amount of the Irish who emigrated to the UK in the 70s and 80s. I know this from working in Irish pubs in the UK in my youth and whenever he came on the TV the conversation would start on how he sold out to be British.
    I kind of agreed when the only time he was heard of in public in Ireland was when the Queen visited

The last statement is beyond parody. Wogan was well known here. In fact anybody famous to that extent in Britain is well known here, Irish or not.

The first paragraph sounds dubious to me. Lots of Irish people in the U.K. think he helped the profile of Irish people in Britain which was important during the troubles.

jimmymack wrote: »
    I worked with a guy from Ghana a couple of years ago who was a massive fan of Enya, don't think I've heard any of her stuff played on the radio in Ireland bar a very rare spin of Orinoco Flow and I rarely hear anyone mention her otherwise. It's kind of funny that some of our musicians can become massively popular abroad and yet get very little airplay at home!

Some of this is just time passing. When she was big she was big here as anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jimmymack

True enough, I wouldn't be old enough to remember her back when she was huge. I was surprised to hear this guy was a fan though, he wasn't much older than me and didn't initially strike me as the sort who'd be into her style of music. Still, it takes all sorts to make the world go round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I mentioned a band called Raglans in an earlier post. They're not hugely known at home in Ireland but are big in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I'm not a football fan, so maybe he is well known in football circles, but I was surprised to learn that someone who played for Ireland is one of the most well-known pundits in Spanish football.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just thought of this one again, John Philip Holland from Liscannor, Clare who invented the submarine 17th May 1897. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Philip_Holland

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

The last statement is beyond parody. Wogan was well known here. In fact anybody famous to that extent in Britain is well known here, Irish or not.

The first paragraph sounds dubious to me. Lots of Irish people in the U.K. think he helped the profile of Irish people in Britain which was important during the troubles.

OK, when was Wogan at anything high profile in Ireland except the Queens visit?

As for the rest, I'm only relying the many conversations I heard from Irish in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ipso wrote: »
    Bobby Sands,revered and remembered elsewhere, current snowflakes haven't an iota

In wonderful lands of freedom like Cuba and Iran.
    France, Spain, USA, Mexico, Argentina etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Snotty wrote: »
    OK, when was Wogan at anything high profile in Ireland except the Queens visit?

As for the rest, I'm only relying the many conversations I heard from Irish in the UK.

Wogan was profile in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

trashcan wrote: »
    Incredible voice ? I'll have to beg to differ there. I think he is a lousy singer. Has only two good songs of note too, Brown Eyed Girl and Moondance. Apart from that, hugely over-rated in my view.
    I think you're basing your opinion on the irish career of mr morrisson. He had another career where he lorded over the likes of the doors in LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Ryan Sheridan is quite well-known in Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I mentioned a band called Raglans in an earlier post. They're not hugely known at home in Ireland but are big in Germany.

Like The Kelly Family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

razorblunt wrote: »
    "Being born in a stable does not make one a horse".

As his quote (proven to never have been said, goes).

Oh it was said. And about him. Just not by him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Any examples of notable Irish people who are more popular or acclaimed outside of Ireland than here? One prime example would be Enya, she has a big following on the Continent, Germany , Italy etc yet here shes largely known as that strange lady who lives alone in a castle and makes celtic new age-y music (famously mocked in the film Intermission)

Weirdly Enya seems to be regarded as very credible in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

Becky Lynch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The Collinson brothers from Limerick. They're still quite young and have only been in silicon valley a few years and they already have a company worth over $100m and are having dinner meetings with Zuckerburg.
    In fairness Zuckerburg listens in to many of millions of people dinners . He’s behind you !

Oh it was said. And about him. Just not by him.
    Was it from the horses mouth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Roma Downey I think you are talking about, mentioned in the first few pages.

But she is a perfect example.

Herself and the hubbie are serious power players in the US to the point that if Roma wished she could take down the Donald in one foul swoop in which the world press has not managed in all the years and all the power they wield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Rory Gallagher was more appeciated on the continent than he was at home .

Was a name in Europe. Even has a street named after him in Paris.

On a similar note, Gerry McAvoy (bass player for Rory), who still tours playing Rory's Music and other blues stuff around the world (a lot in Germany). They don't play much in Ireland except at the Rory Gallagher festival each year in Ballyshannon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Ralph Ciffereto

There's an Irish emigrant electronic music act called the Potbelleez who were quite big in Australia when I was there. Chart hits and festival billings, think their music was used on a few ad campaigns.

They're absolute ****e in case you were wondering.

There's an Irish emigrant electronic music act called the Potbelleez who were quite big in Australia when I was there. Chart hits and festival billings, think their music was used on a few ad campaigns.

They're absolute ****e in case you were wondering.
    I remember them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Ralph Ciffereto

I remember them.

Woeful.

I read their wiki a while back, two Dubs who met in Sydney in the early 2000's.

That must put them around the 40 mark by now.

How can two lads who grew up in Dublin in the days of the Sides the Asylum Temple Theatre etc be into dance music and come up with such scutter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The theme pf this thread reminds me of a Linda Martin story.
    Back in the early 90's I was doing occasional work in Sweden and was up there a few times a year.

The locals were great Eurovision fans and in 1992 the contest was held in Malmo where there was palpable excitement locally. That year, the bold Linda won it for Ireland with 'Why Me?' and the people I was working with in Malmo were absolutely delighted for me (far more excited than I was).

I was back up that year in early December and there was talk about company Christmas parties, they asked where ours was going to be, back in Dublin. As it turned out, we were going to The Royal Marine Hotel in Dunlaoghaire for one of the multi company party night occasions, headlined by ... Linda Martin. My Swedish colleagues were astounded that we would have a Eurovision winner at our office christmas party and they were amazed that we could organise such a special guest appearance at a company outing.

They didn't understand that she wasn't a big deal back home and was a regular on the chicken and chips (see what I did there?) pub circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Roma Downey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Rea Garvey from Kerry and his band Reamonn would be a German household name easily filling stadiums over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Kenneth Branagh - film director who never gets a mention here. Instead the dumb Irish rant on and on about lesser talents like Lenny Abrahamson, Jim Sheridan and Neil Jordan.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Kenneth Branagh - film director who never gets a mention here. Instead the dumb Irish rant on and on about lesser talents like Lenny Abrahamson, Jim Sheridan and Neil Jordan.

Not that none of those three are any good.

• Advertisement

Lord Haw Haw ; William Joyce .

Who certainly had Irish connections even though he considered himself a Brit .

Advertisement