Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish who are more famous/acclaimed abroad than here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

bikubesong wrote: »
    Supervet Noel Fitzpatrick.

Highly accomplished in his field, and has a Channel 4 show. Yet no-one in Ireland seems to have heard of him. Not saying he's an A-lister in the UK but definitely more successful/well known.

spent practically his entire professional career in the UK so this is not surprising. The only people who know him outside the professional field are those who watch his tv show.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

baylah17 wrote: »
    You jest surely, Rory McIlroy would be far more famous than Morgan, as indeed would many others!

I’d wager the poster is considering the outrageous popularity of cricket in that part of the world combined with the populations of India and Pakistan when putting Morgan’s name forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

When I lived over the pond and tuned into Wogan on the way to work, I was often running late!

Towards the back end of the show when the bulk of listeners were tuned out and gone to work, Wogan would do 'his' thing.

Could constitute a rambling memory of the damp church in Lahinch when on holidays as a kid or babbling on for 2 solid minutes As Gaeilge about nothing at all.

He lived and worked in England for most of his life, so you can understand the affinity. But to say he lost his Irishness or betrayed Ireland in some way - is simply to not know that man at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

spyderski wrote: »
    Sean Kelly. In the Top 5 best professional cyclists of all time, has godlike status in Belgium and would be very well known in many parts of Europe. I’d say 50% of people here wouldn’t recognise him.

That’s nonsense.He was a national sporting icon here at his peak.Everybody knew him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Omackeral wrote: »
    Bray's own Fergal Devitt is a huge star in the USA,UK and Japan. He's better known as WWE wrestler Finn Balor and formerly as Prince Devitt. A good looking, talented, popular and humble chap and in great nick too.

tenor.gif?itemid=9470313

tenor.gif?itemid=9576956

What is it with wrestlers and FMB's?

I think we should be told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

Jacksepticeye, Irish Youtuber from Athlone with 18 million subscribers..

lives in Brighton now, likely earning over €500k a month

It’s sad the amount of Irish people forgotten in history.Only recently I found out that a man from Mitchelstown called John Roche(Roach) was the biggest employer in America in the mid 1800’s.His shipbuilding business was the largest employer behind the railroads.He had 4000+ employees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Roach_%26_Sons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Tommy Smyth - sports commentator.

He can stay in America. The little bol..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

HowItsMade wrote: »
    Jacksepticeye, Irish Youtuber from Athlone with 18 million subscribers..

lives in Brighton now, likely earning over €500k a month

the c@nt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Charles Thompson. A real rags to riches story, he was instrumental behind the scenes in early american politics, considered to be the original 'staffer'. He was also anti slavery, pro native american rights and an all round good egg.
    http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/02/10/news/remarkable-tale-of-co-derry-orphan-who-became-central-figure-in-american-revolution-1252905/
    There's a very interesting bbc documentary about him called 'the man who told the truth'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Eoin Morgan for sure. The England Cricket captain, a regular in the Indian Premier League, Pakistan Premier League, Australian Big Bash, Caribbean Premier League. He's arguably the most famous Irish Born sports person right now (probably excluding Conor McGregor). Yet the chap could easily walk down Grafton Street 10 times and not get recognized

I'd recognise him.

(May be due to the fact I grew up around the corner from him and hung around with his brother).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You jest surely, Rory McIlroy would be far more famous than Morgan, as indeed would many others!

Rory sees himself as British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

‘The most dangerous woman in America’.Trump is one lucky man that she is not alive today.She would tear him a new one.

Here she is meeting President Coolidge and Teddy Roosevelt jr. in the White House garden
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e8/b6/55/e8b6550088a2ccadc62595a2aa07015c.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

spyderski wrote: »
    Sean Kelly. In the Top 5 best professional cyclists of all time, has godlike status in Belgium and would be very well known in many parts of Europe. I’d say 50% of people here wouldn’t recognise him.

Anybody over 30 would recognize him unless they were completely disinterested in sport. He was world no.1 for several years and won many races in his career including the Tour of Spain. Overshadowed by Stephen Roche for a year or two in the late 1980s but overall a more successful career.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Anybody over 30 would recognize him unless they were completely disinterested in sport. He was world no.1 for several years and won many races in his career including the Tour of Spain. Overshadowed by Stephen Roche for a year or two in the late 1980s but overall a more successful career.

From Carrick-on-Suir?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

spent practically his entire professional career in the UK so this is not surprising. The only people who know him outside the professional field are those who watch his tv show.

Hmm http://3arena.ie/artist/noel-fitzpatrick-is-the-supervet/2214

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

From Carrick-on-Suir?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I was there myself back in 2012 when the Horslips and Mick Taylor headlined it.

The festival came about after Rory's death.

He had a higher profile on the continent than he did in Ireland during his prime after Taste as a solo artist.

I think he played with the rolling stones for a very short time. Not on records but live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Eileen Gray, architect and furniture designer. She is dead now but was one of the leaders of the modernist movement and her influence on design has carried through to many modern homes today. One of her chairs sold for over 25 million a few years back. There is a permanent display of her work in the National Museum but most Irish people would not know who she was.

Le Corbusier vandalised her gaff, while naked, out of petty jealousy. A backhanded tribute if ever there was one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I think he played with the rolling stones for a very short time. Not on records but live.

I read somewhere they wanted Rory to join as Brian Jones' replacement but it never cane to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Bobby Sands,revered and remembered elsewhere, current snowflakes haven't an iota

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Rory sees himself as British.
    Since when?
    Or you just making stuff up?
    Again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Since when?
    Or you just making stuff up?
    Again

http://www.the42.ie/rory-mcilroy-ive-always-felt-more-british-than-irish-590659-Sep2012/

Was all set to play for G Britain util it was pointed out that his Britishness hadn't stopped him from accepting 6 figure sum grants from Irish golf as an amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Fionnula Flanagan, who I've seen loads of times in films and TV series, she plays Daniel Faraday's mother in Lost, I don't remember seeing her too much in RTE produced dramas or films, a good actress. Perhaps I'm wrong and that she has appeared in loads of stuff.

250?cb=20100919170115

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

bullpost wrote: »

not sure what you think that shows??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

The saconne jolly's. Youtube "sensation"
    I'd never heard of them, but seen the end of a show about them on TV in work a few months ago. He's a Cork lad and she's American/Irish from Baltimore.
    1.8m subscribers on YouTube and living the highlife in the UK. Apparently worth a fortune from prostituting themselves to anyone with internet. The even filmed the moment they found out they'd had a miscarriage and also the birth of a baby.
    I'd love their money, but not how they earn it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Fionnula Flanagan, who I've seen loads of times in films and TV series, she plays Daniel Faraday's mother in Lost, I don't remember seeing her too much in RTE produced dramas or films, a good actress. Perhaps I'm wrong and that she has appeared in loads of stuff.

250?cb=20100919170115

A few episodes of Star Trek too. (Data's mother in TNG and was in DS9 and ENT)

Advertisement